News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Edmonton Companies News & Discussion

I find it particularly intriguing to observe the shifting nature of the funded major projects. By examining the same data, we can identify a significant change starting around 2015-2016. There is a noticeable decrease in funding for oil and gas projects, accompanied by a corresponding rise in industrial projects (Figure 4). It will be interesting to determine whether this shift represents a temporary surge of investment aimed at capitalizing on lower feedstock costs or a more enduring trend towards increased investment in value-added industrial manufacturing.

Bolding mine

I’m a bit confused by this. Why say North American, but then have no Canadian cities? Toronto is by far #1 in NA and Vancouver must be up there with just 12 alone dedicated to Oakridge Mall redevelopment.
A7A3CB02-70C6-4AD7-877E-8D92A436F58D.png

But yet I just saw an article this morning saying they are cancelling their high sped plans for AB…..

^ redirecting more funding for call centre jobs in Cowtown

The company is investing $155 million in Calgary, $137 million in Edmonton, and $13 million in Leduc.
hmmm…. $155 million in calgary, $137 million in edmonton and $13 million in leduc. that’s 303 million in total.

while $303 million isn’t exactly pocket change, what about the remaining $18,696 million from that $19 billion announcement?

telus seems to announce the same investments over and over without actually spending it much like the provincial government announcing hospital construction…

hmmm…. $155 million in calgary, $137 million in edmonton and $13 million in leduc. that’s 303 million in total.

while $303 million isn’t exactly pocket change, what about the remaining $18,696 million from that $19 billion announcement?

telus seems to announce the same investments over and over without actually spending it much like the provincial government announcing hospital construction…
129M going to YVR…..where’s the other 18, 536M going?

129M going to YVR…..where’s the other 18, 536M going?
Substantial amount is not going to be assigned to any particular city, or region, but in general infrastructure (towers, cables, etc...) to be spread out around Western Canada.
While direct investment in these cities will be "just" in the 100s of millions, they will benefit from more, indirectly, as these infrastructure investments will need workers and a huge swath of them comes from these places.

Substantial amount is not going to be assigned to any particular city, or region, but in general infrastructure (towers, cables, etc...) to be spread out around Western Canada.
While direct investment in these cities will be "just" in the 100s of millions, they will benefit from more, indirectly, as these infrastructure investments will need workers and a huge swath of them comes from these places.
huge i say, huge! :)

no one’s disputing that, it’s just announcing the same “new investments” over and over and over for years, sometimes rolled up, sometimes broken down, sometimes by province,, sometimes by region…

after a while, none of it’s really new money. It’s just last year’s or the year before that’s or the year before that’s unspent previous commitments announced all over again as what will be spent in the next year or three or seven…

as in my first post, yes, the sums being spent aren’t insignificant but after a while it’s “give me a break already, you’ve already told me that dozens of times in dozens of ways, it’s not a new commitment any more, it’s part and parcel of the business you’re in”.

maybe they could stick to quarterly and annual summaries of what they have spent, not what they’re still planning to spend?

this is just a small recent sample of what i’m referring to:

“Telus pauses fibre optic network rollout across Alberta, blaming Ottawa's Huawei ban”​

There are other options for Telus and blaming the Federal Government is pathetic - Telus, it appears would rather have Chinese spyware into our homes, offices, companies and research facilities.

“Telus pauses fibre optic network rollout across Alberta, blaming Ottawa's Huawei ban”​

There are other options for Telus and blaming the Federal Government is pathetic - Telus, it appears would rather have Chinese spyware into our homes, offices, companies and research facilities.
Telus has been Fing around for a while. Fiber was started in my area 5 years ago. then it stopped and still no sign of it coming but every district around my area has it. This is in St Albert. I would love it before say 90% of the country.

Telus has been Fing around for a while. Fiber was started in my area 5 years ago. then it stopped and still no sign of it coming but every district around my area has it. This is in St Albert. I would love it before say 90% of the country.
Something here doesn't quite make sense. I remember Telus made a big deal quite some time ago about not dealing with Huawei and now it seems to be trying to blame the Feds for this current delay. I smell corporate bs here.

Back