News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Edmonton Companies News & Discussion

Back in my day. way back in the dust of history, I believe the 107 and 142st location was a Loblaw. Safeway had a different style. It could also have been a Dominion store. But a Fresons would be good. I'd had hoped St Albert would get the next one.
As much as I love St Albert, I am really glad we're getting it in a more central location. I'm kinda tired of all the nice stuff going to the suburbs 😅

That space used to be GYMVMT/World Health/Club Fit for a long time before they relocated to Westmount Mall.
Correct, I believe it was a World Health for a number of years, then was a Club Fit for a real short period of time (I think right before COVID), then became a GYMVMT for an even shorter period of time before relocating. Plus a section was also used for that Fresh Fit Foods. Don’t recall what was there prior to the World Health however.

Also, thanks JN01 and Airboy for the more historical insights :)

Capture.PNG

Once again, we're killing it with 100's of high paying construction jobs along with equally high paying Operations jobs for decades to come. We'll take this type of announcement over any YYC - "small 5 person unknown mom/pop company is making YYC their Canadian HQ's....lol.

Last edited:
Following successful launches in Toronto, Ottawa and Vancouver, Lyft’s next stop in Canada will be in Edmonton. Beginning today, drivers in one of Alberta’s largest cities can now apply to drive with Lyft.

Not sure where to post this or maybe already posted.

““Today is a great milestone in our journey to produce the World’s First Net Zero Cement,” said Oliver Patsch, President of the Northwest Region for Heidelberg Materials North America. “This pioneering initiative places the City of Edmonton at the epicenter of the cement industry’s decarbonization efforts. We welcome the support from the Government of Canada and look forward to the next steps in this industry leading CCUS project.””

Article does not state the actual capital cost but it must be substantial.

Following successful launches in Toronto, Ottawa and Vancouver, Lyft’s next stop in Canada will be in Edmonton. Beginning today, drivers in one of Alberta’s largest cities can now apply to drive with Lyft.

Love the Drake....er I mean - love the Lyft. Prefer it over Uber for some reason........

Once again, we're killing it with 100's of high paying construction jobs along with equally high paying Operations jobs for decades to come. We'll take this type of announcement over any YYC - "small 5 person unknown mom/pop company is making YYC their Canadian HQ's....lol.
as much as I love it of Edmonton, I'd find it amazing f we also started having the high (or at the very least decently) paying white collar jobs being announced here as well...
Not everyone wants/likes/is able to have blue collar jobs, so It'd be much appreciated if we could have those. They also contribute A LOT to our Downtown vibrancy, considering that a lot of these workers tend to have a more urban lifestyle, combined wth the usual prevalece of offices in the central areas.
For obvious reasons, blue collar workers tend to prefer suburban neighbourhoods (proximity to work, convenience to park large work vehicles, etc...).

I agree, this project is good news. However, I feel we sometimes rely too much on blue collar jobs and neglect or do not make enough effort to get more white collar jobs.

Such jobs can contribute to the community in other ways and better balance things out. We have nice suburbs, but our downtown needs a boost too.

My guess is 142 and 107 that has cycled through a million different gym and other tenants.
I will say that this location does now have construction fencing and a seacan setup infront and a looks like a demo company recently finished gutting the interior, so there is definitely something afoot :)

I saw the fencing when I went by yesterday, someone said to me they thought that might be to prevent people from the nearby school using it for extra free parking.

The parking lot looks in fairly good shape, so unless they are planning to extend the building or put something up there I can't see why else it would need to be all fenced off. They have been doing demo for some time and it was not fenced off until recently.

It would be a great location for another gym, but the extensive demo makes me think it will be something different. It would be a good location for a grocery store too.

Back