News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Edmonton City Centre Mall (Renovations) | ?m | 2s | LaSalle Investment Management

How does Shopper's Drug Mart manage to make it feasible to have two locations in this mall and then a third only a couple blocks away on Jasper Avenue?

^Because, despite the negative talk about retail Downtown, there's plenty of demand in the area between residents, works and students to justify them keeping all those stores operating.

Also curious if Shopppers continues to maintain food at all their locations given Loblaws is now open. Or one of the Shoppers ultimately closes. I think what might keep them all open is pharmacy dispensing fees. But to me it seems Shoppers ECC West days would be numbered.

^Because, despite the negative talk about retail Downtown, there's plenty of demand in the area between residents, works and students to justify them keeping all those stores operating.

Also curious if Shopppers continues to maintain food at all their locations given Loblaws is now open. Or one of the Shoppers ultimately closes. I think what might keep them all open is pharmacy dispensing fees. But to me it seems Shoppers ECC West days would be numbered.
The same thought occurred to me soon after City Market opened. Likely, one reason for so many Shoppers downtown was to try fill the gap by having no nearby grocery store for a number of years. Shopper's food selection is somewhat limited, but its better than nothing and you can easily walk to it.

Maybe its a sign I have been around too long, but I still miss the Edmonton Centre London Drugs which was fantastic and went way beyond Shoppers for selection of electronics and other things. I realize London Drugs has preferred stand alone stores for a long time, but maybe their thinking here is changing a bit now with their recent move to Southgate Mall.

It is perhaps a faint hope, but if we had one less Shoppers in City Centre and a London Drugs instead, I think it would be a big net gain. It wouldn't have to be a large location, their old Edmonton Centre location was not that big, but the variety and selection was still great and it was often quite busy too. Distance wise, I know Oliver Square is not that far (to drive), but not everyone can easily get there or wants to drive.

Unfortunate (poor choice) to see that new pop up board game store and Purdy's right across from it closed on Saturday on weekend of the PBR event going on and decent amount of people in mall.

8137F71D-56D0-48FF-9E5C-C8417BF89C1D.jpeg
1EE20140-38B1-4632-AA00-870E2909B5A6.jpeg

Back