News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.9K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Downtown

Downtown has a decent share of nightlife: Hotel Mac, convention centre, Rice Howard Way, ICE District, 104 Ave/109 St area and the Jasper Ave/109 St area. Moreover, Oliver has the Jasper Ave strip from 109 St to 121 St, Unity Square, Brewery District, the Oliver Exchange buildings and the 124 St area.

Downtown morning skies... enjoy the holidays, everyone!
IMG_5670.jpg
IMG_5671.jpg

IMG_5672.jpg

I like the splash of red in the pictures, which breaks up all the brown, grey and blue downtown. Just down the street TD has recently added a bit more green too.

Love how this same article was posted on Reddit and more than half of the comments are the classic negativity again.

Either way, the Tues-Thurs observation is spot on from my experiences. Just gotta get some more stuff for Sat-Sun and that'll be a good base to work from!

As someone who is downtown every day, these observations seem to match mine. It now seems busy and fairly normal Tuesday to Thursday. Mondays and Fridays are still quieter, but not as much as before.

It is now fairly comfortable to be out at around mid day, but it gets quieter after mid afternoon. A steady collection of events on the weekend would help a lot along with a bit more in the evenings of weekdays.

A bunch of us went to LUX/Bar94 for dinner the other night. I had not been in probably 5 years and was quite impressed.

-Service was very good, extremely attentive.
-the room was old school, warm, inviting.
-We had a bunch of appetizers, all pretty tasty and reasonable in portion to share.
-Opted for an 8oz strip. Honestly, one of the better steaks I've had out in a very, very long time. Perfectly cooked, crusted, seasoned.
-Wines were on the expensive side for options, but it was an annual tradition and so not the end of the world.

I will be back.

*MacT, KLowe and friends were all at the wood.

Is downtown always this vibrant during new years eve? Today is probably the most vibrant I have seen of downtown around 8 pm. Everywhere is PACKING. Almost all restaurants are full of people and some have to wait outside. The LRTs are full of people train after train. The place was vibing between Rogers Place and Churchhill Square. It reminds me of NYC.

Retail and restaurant space would be soaring and in demand if every day was like today.

Is downtown always this vibrant during new years eve? Today is probably the most vibrant I have seen of downtown around 8 pm. Everywhere is PACKING. Almost all restaurants are full of people and some have to wait outside. The LRTs are full of people train after train. The place was vibing between Rogers Place and Churchhill Square. It reminds me of NYC.

Retail and restaurant space would be soaring and in demand if every day was like today.
The weather helped a lot, for sure.
Last year was nice, but not nearly as lively.

If we had 1/3 of that demand consistently on weekends alone, Downtown would be booming.

Honestly my hope is that was a great first intro for many people who rarely go downtown, and who might come back more often as a result. I think we can safely assume that any events downtown like NYE, Taste of Edmonton, CariWest, etc will have much larger crowd numbers based on increased accessibility via Valley Line.

The weather helped a lot, for sure.
Last year was nice, but not nearly as lively.

If we had 1/3 of that demand consistently on weekends alone, Downtown would be booming.
It shows the potential of what our downtown can be, something that I think has often been forgotten in all the extreme hunkering down, doom and gloom of the last few years.

It is a great way to start the New Year. If the city (and the private sector too) can put together more events that attract a range of and many people downtown throughout the year on a regular basis, that will help a lot.

Back