News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.9K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.9K     0 

Downtown

Why would the current Alberta government want to fix this? That would be the political equivalent of the NDP fighting/posturing against a federal gun ban. Many UCP supporters laugh and smile about the homelessness situation in urban areas.
Because they are the Government of Alberta, which means the whole province not only the places that voted for them. Even Premier Smith essentially acknowledged that in her rather gracious election night speech.

No excuses.

Walking around this weekend the amount of garbage, bins overflowing, bins emptied, various private parking lots with bags of garbage just left there and blown garbage on the sidewalks and a general amount of garbage in bus shelters and other spaces was some of the highest amounts I have ever seen.

It was really disheartening.

^I am surprised at that, I find it quite a bit cleaner than years previous, so I'd be curious where those problem areas are so I can forward them on. I know some garbage bins are getting missed, and keeping on top of disorder especially on weekends is a huge challenge. Priority areas like 104, RHW and Jasper are quite a bit cleaner.

Shelter spaces - Calgary has about 1700. The goal for this winter for Edmonton was around 1000 but the City has to coordinate with the various social agencies, some more cooperative than others. They also put RFPs out there that may not have been filled, and for other they lacked funding. Boyle Street being closed is not helping although they're working with other shelters and their new Thunderbird Centre is not really an overnight shelter (nor does it have permits for that). It's really hard to get a handle on all the moving pieces and I think there's way too many players doing their own thing. Really rely on admin and particularly the mayor's office to figure out what's going on at any one time.

Jasper Avenue in general, the newer DT bins on 102 Avenue were wide open with garbage everywhere, multiple impark lots south of Jasper, outside of Tim Hortons (as we know) and nearly every bus shelter it seemed, Bay LRT south jasper entrance, MPP bin on 104st, city bin south of Jasper on 102st.

We walked a fair amount and so this is just from memory, but it was some of the worst that I recall seeing.

Honestly disgusting.

Jasper Avenue in general, the newer DT bins on 102 Avenue were wide open with garbage everywhere, multiple impark lots south of Jasper, outside of Tim Hortons (as we know) and nearly every bus shelter it seemed, Bay LRT south jasper entrance, MPP bin on 104st, city bin south of Jasper on 102st.

We walked a fair amount and so this is just from memory, but it was some of the worst that I recall seeing.

Honestly disgusting.

I noted on another thread about the garbage around our central library and I feel things have regressed again in the last couple of months in dt overall after improvement during the summer. I don't have pics, but riding my bike along the multi use trail along the lrt tracks between 95 st and Commonwealth Stadium was draw dropping for both my buddy and I. So much garbage, trees and garbage that had been set on fire, and abandoned personal belongings scattered all over. It was unbelievable.

Honestly disgusting.

I would have recorded every infraction with the 311 app on my mobile.

If you're that serious about cleanliness, 15-20 inputs should go further than whining about it on this forum (no offense intended).
Although on the other hand, the 311 app is about as useless as tits on a bull. The city's auditor agrees with this.

If Edmonton is serious about cleanliness, it should have some sort of weekend patrol/circulation managing issues that arise when you have a 'world snowboarding' event and two Oilers games.

I've had very limited success with it in recent years.

311 is great for bigger, less expected, or rare incidents. Garbage bin emptying should be something the city is on top of and if those that do the emptying are noticing many of their bins being overwhelmed when they get them is a sign they should be increasing their pickup frequency. This is a pretty basic function in the hierarchy of things that need improvement for the use/perception of downtown.

I walked home on Jasper Ave today and there was a person on each side of the street picking up garbage and it looked pretty good overall.

I did come across this at some different locations - always by lrt station entrances are the worst.

20231211_153519.jpg
20231211_154619.jpg
20231211_155505.jpg
20231211_155512.jpg

All it takes is one or two individuals to root through garbage bins along Jasper, throw trash everywhere, to make a once-clean streetscape look like 'trash'.
Exactly, that is probably what happened here. Unless it had been like that for quite a while, I would cut the city a bit of slack.

I am around some areas downtown almost every day and generally it seems not too bad, certainly not as bad in the pictures, which I do agree is bad.

So I feel the city is making some effort. I feel currently its more of a people problem. I'm not quite sure how you fix that.

Back