News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.7K     0 

Downtown

Traffic was bumper to bumper on Jasper Ave last night. Tons of families and young couples walking around and enjoying the night. Seeing all this activity on the streets and sidewalks + seeing Falcon I, The Parks Phase 1 and Stationlands under construction with their cranes honestly gave off a "big city" vibe that we all want to see on a consistent basis.

NYE was honestly the first time in years where I felt genuinely hopeful and happy for downtown. If we can even sustain half of what we saw last night, it would be huge. I also noticed that the sheer volume of people being present downtown drowned out the usual sketchy characters and perceptions of safety.

Traffic was bumper to bumper on Jasper Ave last night. Tons of families and young couples walking around and enjoying the night. Seeing all this activity on the streets and sidewalks + seeing Falcon I, The Parks Phase 1 and Stationlands under construction with their cranes honestly gave off a "big city" vibe that we all want to see on a consistent basis.

NYE was honestly the first time in years where I felt genuinely hopeful and happy for downtown. If we can even sustain half of what we saw last night, it would be huge. I also noticed that the sheer volume of people being present downtown drowned out the usual sketchy characters and perceptions of safety.
Very nice to see and hear

I think this shows we have to double down on big events and attractions in downtown.

Events are important for sure, but it speaks more to the need to make Downtown more exciting, attractive and a diverse destination for more people, more often, with events only being a piece of that puzzle.

Events are important for sure, but it speaks more to the need to make Downtown more exciting, attractive and a diverse destination for more people, more often, with events only being a piece of that puzzle.
Yes and no

Reality is even with double the residential population, downtown wouldn't feel like NYE every day. The crowds we crave are formed when people are drawn from across the city to the core rather than solely living there.

Oh, absolutely, but the reality is that those large (or even mid-sized) events cannot occur regularly and so it needs to focus on other elements as well as key events.

Oh, absolutely, but the reality is that those large (or even mid-sized) events cannot occur regularly and so it needs to focus on other elements as well as key events.
Disagree

If you look at someplace like West Edmonton Mall, you see those types of crowds every day.

You have to make downtown the centre for big events and attractions to start to get back to where things should be.

It needs to better capture those who live, work, learn and are within a reasonable radius TODAY.

This is not either or and won't support additional residential growth, let alone corporate/commercial/retail if Downtown does not support those who use it day in and day out.

Mutually exclusive they are not.

This is not either or and won't support additional residential growth, let alone corporate/commercial/retail if Downtown does not support those who use it day in and day out.

Mutually exclusive they are not.
While not mutually exclusive the focus needs to be broader than those who already use DT. New markets, people, events, attractions would be transformational.

Not sure where to put this question, but it looks like the old 7/11 space on Jasper and 104 street has been leased. Does anyone know what's going in there? It's a prime spot, obviously

Not sure where to put this question, but it looks like the old 7/11 space on Jasper and 104 street has been leased. Does anyone know what's going in there? It's a prime spot, obviously

Back