News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.7K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Downtown

The EJ had a story a couple months back with a city planner quoted as saying how much construction values were a result of this as well as how many jobs were being created etc.

"the city’s economic recovery construction grant, which to date has provided funding for seven construction projects with a value of $324 million and the creation of 1,254 residential units and 2,614 construction jobs"

So I contacted that city planner in June 15 to ask what projects those were and i was forwarded to planner David Holdsworth David.Holdsworth@edmonton.ca who contacted me to say the project contracts were not actually finalized yet and to check back with him. But I was told 7 projects were approved- but again not yet finalized.

I have checked back with him three times including last week and I have never received a reply back since June 16 - nearly two months later now.

Obviously some projects are approved because construction is starting right away on a few that I assume are receiving the grant - Falcon, Open Sky, Hat?

But it seems it is hard to get an update from the city.

Last edited:
I suppose add Ph1 of the Parks for 300+\- units and we’re up to 900 units with that one and the ones that you’ve mentioned, sounds as though maybe the Hyatt’s 259 may be added and that leaves 1 other major project….probably Eagle’s site. So not a ton of sexy projects but we’ll take them.

There is a 42-storey residential tower slated for Ice District Block BG. The podium is already under construction (it'll have the superstore and some other businesses), but the tower portion was put on hold until the market improves. Council granted the developer an excemption so that they could apply if they wanted to take advantage of the project, even though construction on the podium started in 2020. I wonder if the developer will end up taking advantage of it.

The EJ had a story a couple months back with a city planner quoted as saying how much construction values were a result of this as well as how many jobs were being created etc.

"the city’s economic recovery construction grant, which to date has provided funding for seven construction projects with a value of $324 million and the creation of 1,254 residential units and 2,614 construction jobs"

So I contacted that city planner in June 15 to ask what projects those were and i was forwarded to planner David Holdsworth David.Holdsworth@edmonton.ca who contacted me to say the project contracts were not actually finalized yet and to check back with him. But I was told 7 projects were approved- but again not yet finalized.

I have checked back with him three times including last week and I have never received a reply back since June 16 - nearly two months later now.

Obviously some projects are approved because construction is starting right away on a few that I assume are receiving the grant - Falcon, Open Sky, Hat?

But it seems it is hard to get an update from the city.
Public money and we have the right to know. Perhaps they want to release the names and amounts all at once. But when? Maybe an email to a Councillor will provide the answer or motivate the city staff to disclose. Anyone with a contact? I don't have one.

Public money and we have the right to know. Perhaps they want to release the names and amounts all at once. But when? Maybe an email to a Councillor will provide the answer or motivate the city staff to disclose. Anyone with a contact? I don't have one.
Maybe they just want to wait until the contracts are actually signed, lest they announce everything just to have a developer pull out, or major details change. Having contracts and deals signed and finalized adds a level of certainty that isn't present when the two sides just informally agree on something.

I suppose add Ph1 of the Parks for 300+\- units and we’re up to 900 units with that one and the ones that you’ve mentioned, sounds as though maybe the Hyatt’s 259 may be added and that leaves 1 other major project….probably Eagle’s site. So not a ton of sexy projects but we’ll take them.

Hyatt is not new construction.so don't think that is included.

Was riding my bike by Alex Decoteau Park last night (the pear trees are ripe for picking!) and caught this live music presented by Edmonton Arts Council.

See below for upcoming acts.

Screenshot_20210812-141405_Samsung Internet.jpg

Wait what? PAMPAS IS CLOSED??? 😭
Yup. I'm super sad as well, but I was talking to one of their partners and they really suffered with all of the Federal and provincial workers working from home, as it made most of their weekday customers, during lunch (which was a great deal, btw).
They're looking into expanding their cafe/bistro partnership, A Bite of Brazil by Pampa, which is currently in a tiny store on 104 st, into a more substantial Brazilian food experience, probably as soon as next spring.

Back