News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.9K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Downtown

This vehicle noise is just getting insane, Project TENSOR was a complete failure. Decent sound meters are only like $120, city should start recruiting volunteers to get on the street with a few and start reporting these dipshits. :mad:

Could the community league form some sort of neighbourhood watch but for noise and then submit their findings to the police? Something really needs to be done.

Last edited:
The vehicle noise downtown really is ridiculous.

Let me preface this by saying that I appreciate and value everything first responders do and I understand the need for them to get where they're going, but they are consistently the worst noise polluters. The fire department are the worst offenders of all - you cannot tell me that it's necessary for them to blast sirens and horns in the middle of the night when nobody is on the road (in addition to all the noise their ridiculously large trucks make)? Or even in the middle of the day? People can hear those enormous trucks coming from miles away. The sirens and absurd horns are such overkill. Plus the fire department is chronically overused IMO (but that's a different conversation).

In any case, the noise pollution they are responsible for is a huge detriment to downtown.

This vehicle noise is just getting insane, Project TENSOR was a complete failure. Decent sound meters are only like $120, city should start recruiting volunteers to get on the street with a few and start reporting these dipshits. :mad:

Could the community league form some sort of neighbourhood watch but for noise and then submit their findings to the police? Something really needs to be done.

This episode just came out yesterday on noise pollution in cities.

I'm sure every year has been like this but I'm in agreeance that man, it sure has seemed worse than before.

The worst is getting your ears blown out when you're just trying to enjoy a nice streetfront patio. Gotta love the guy on his Harley near redlining before they shift. So freaking sick of it, and I like motorcycles.

An interesting new APP for Downtown.

Reference ID: Job No 401543073-002
Description: To install (2) Fascia On-Premises Sign(s) (DOWNTOWN BISTRO)
Plan 3727MC Blk 4 Lot 73
Applicant: KARATULA SIGNS INC.
Create Date: 7/5/2021 8:17:13 PM
Neighbourhood: DOWNTOWN

---

I've noticed that a new small grocery/convenience has opened on 104st next to the Sunflower Cafe is.

The Works Art and Design Festival is back in Churchill Square in a reduced format, but I'm glad it's back. Here are some photos.

1626135459407.png

The quarters and east village both started to be revitalized in 2006-2009 it seems. Why has Calgary had so much more success? 3500+ residents are now in the area and there's a plethora of government, corporate, civic, and residential projects.

One of the reasons is that a lot of properties in the quarters are owned by a handful or less of owners looking for a big payday.

The quarters and east village both started to be revitalized in 2006-2009 it seems. Why has Calgary had so much more success? 3500+ residents are now in the area and there's a plethora of government, corporate, civic, and residential projects.

Except that the East Village work really began in and around 1996.

The City, through CMLC, took the approach to acquire 95+% of it, razed 95% of it, became the developer, realigned the grid, remediated where required and then administered it all and required developers to somewhat work together and compliment initial stages. They also invested a lot of money into the public realm, riverwalk, community gardens, outdoor basketball/fitness spaces , large playground, off-leash dog park and pitched/marketed the hell out of it to a variety of groups, both local and not. They made it very attractive to become part of the momentum for the area, strategically sold parcels and had a communal sales/marketing centre. Add in some cool heritage building repurposing and destination food/coffee and then bake.

Add in a more urban and concentrated workforce with more reasons to live centrally and a lot of jobs for new grads (under 30 crowd) who bought a lot of those condos.

A+B=C

Some photos from my last tour:

Last edited:

Back