News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Downtown

90% of the boxes I walked by along my seven block walk looked like this. I guess we don't care anymore.

DSC_0015.JPG

@IanO Did you report it to 311 or whatever at least?

Sadly, i've given up reporting things like this because there is little to no action being taken to correct them right now.

Frustrating to say the least.

Last edited:
At least we aren't the only ones struggling with this stuff, all cities' budgets are tight rn and I'd imagine minor graffiti like this is low on the scroll of things to fix. Still poopy tho ☹️

Except that this isn't new.

Our O&M, while improving until recently, was still subpar and didn't address the importance of first impressions, let alone daily.

At least we aren't the only ones struggling with this stuff, all cities' budgets are tight rn and I'd imagine minor graffiti like this is low on the scroll of things to fix. Still poopy tho ☹️
yes, there may be “bigger things” than “minor graffiti like this”. but those bigger things are complicated, time consuming and expensive to deal with and “minor graffiti like this” contributes to them (ie graffiti often identifies turf and identifies areas with little or no oversight or pride). not tolerating graffiti is relatively simple, can be done quickly (even if it has to be done often) and sends the right message to the taggers and to everyone else that we’re proud of our city and we care about our city. it’s an important and valuable message and not sending it is disgraceful.

not tolerating graffiti is relatively simple, can be done quickly (even if it has to be done often) and sends the right message to the taggers and to everyone else that we’re proud of our city and we care about our city. it’s an important and valuable message and not sending it is disgraceful.

I've called 311 about the graffiti on the high level bridge and Ezio park several times - my neck of the woods.

It definitely doesn't take much effort to do that and maybe if the city received more calls - to the councillors, too - the city would put more resources and a strategy to this.

yes, there may be “bigger things” than “minor graffiti like this”. but those bigger things are complicated, time consuming and expensive to deal with and “minor graffiti like this” contributes to them (ie graffiti often identifies turf and identifies areas with little or no oversight or pride). not tolerating graffiti is relatively simple, can be done quickly (even if it has to be done often) and sends the right message to the taggers and to everyone else that we’re proud of our city and we care about our city. it’s an important and valuable message and not sending it is disgraceful.

Yeah... we're both on the same page here Ken. I wish that this stupid graffiti could be taken care of as quickly as possible too, because it does have that impact on the urban environment and by quickly responding shows that we care about keeping things clean. I'm just saying that on the city's end they may see it like a low priority. Doesn't mean I agree with them.

I think there are more important things than sanitizing the city to ensure it looks prim and proper for others tbh.

Certainly in the current grand scheme of things, but the 'broken window theory' is no joke.

Broken windows theory is a joke, actually. It's rooted in a conservative, classist vantage that shifts the burden of responsibility for deteriorated environments onto poor people rather than structures of harm that cause something like a broken window to appear. It also gives more privileged classes the idea that these people are a "problem" and often the answer is policing poor people. It assumes that places which are more dilapidated will be prone to crime and thus need policing before it turns to more serious crime without looking at why "antisocial" or "criminal" behaviour is occurring in the first place. Essentially, instead of worrying about graffiti or a broken window and interrogating or negatively depicting areas that look a bit more tarnished, the city should be addressing why certain people may be turning to crime in the first place. But instead graffiti is a blight that ruins the aesthetic for affluent folks that needs to be cleaned up ASAP, to ensure the image of our city is still one that is conducive to enterprise, literally putting a bandaid over the problem.

Last edited:

Back