News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Downtown

Checked out the new wayback burgers today. Best milkshakes I've ever had (I've tried a lot haha). Burger i give a 6/10. $13 and it was basically fast food style. Not Five guys level, but priced the same.

Overall, good new spot. Nice inside. Hope they survive and do well!

Also saw the sad news that district is closing for all of January. Hopefully they don't close.
20210116_132212.jpg
20210116_132215.jpg
20210116_133155.jpg
20210116_134355.jpg

This always frustrates me...

We have immense public and private development across the street with the hopes of changing our image and drawing millions of people Downtown and yet turn a blind eye to half a block of this across the street.

DSC_0033.JPG

I'm guessing when these trees were planted (not too long ago based on their age) that proper root wells and the like weren't installed to keep them health. Also, the power boxes attached to them probably didn't help either. Those really shouldn't be installed until the tree is large enough to support them.

^^^^ Simple solution -- make the owners of buildings responsible for the upkeep and maintenance of walkways in front of their buildings with stiff fines for neglect that cover the cost of required improvements. It aligns "dollars spent" with the place of "dollars earned" and would put a whole new private emphasis on upkeep (especially around surface parking lots and along blank building walls).

@archited I get where you're coming from, but I don't think that's the answer. I don't think it would be fair to building owners to be responsible for upkeep of assets they don't own (and transferring ownership would not go over well). Meanwhile, threat of fines doesn't seem to be much of an incentive when it comes to e.g., snow clearing; I can't imagine how it would be any better for upkeep.

If that's the whole story @Daveography -- let me tell you a story. Back in 2011 I made a pitch to the City Council (Los Angeles) with both reps from the Planning Department and Building and Safety in attendance. They were at the point of upgrading an "Enterprise Zone" in North Hollywood and were looking for new ideas to entice and sustain street-fronting development there. I covered a lot of points regarding "process" but then I got down to some new ideas. I suggested vacating the parking lane along Magnolia Boulevard in the heart of North Hollywood and extending the sidewalk out to consume the new area and then allowing "tenants" with the approval of building owners to imprint the sidewalk with City-approved graphics (permanent - or temporary - sidewalk art, retail and hospitality logos, and text messages) Tenants could also add fixtures and build-outs on the sidewalk covered by a revocable permit (under a fee that is renewed annually). The maintenance of the sidewalk was then handed over to the building owners who also had to sign off on all of the improvements. The plan was put into effect. It turned the street almost instantaneously into a pedestrian-centric world where there were throngs of people, outdoor patios, creative logos, awnings and weather-proof enclosures -- a huge success. The City increased revenue, the retailers and restaurateurs had extra income area, the owners filled up empty lease-able space -- everybody won. Now I know that L.A. doesn't get as much snow as Edmonton 🤓 but, when you have a business incentive to keep the street clean and functional, good things happen. I checked with the City a year or two ago and they have not had to level a single fine on any of the building owners. And they have now implemented the plan in all Enterprise Zones across the City.

Reference ID:Job No 383439037-002
Description:To change the Use from a Health Services Use to a Liquor Store.
Condo Common Area (Plan 0425177)
Applicant:2300991 ALBERTA INC.
Create Date:1/11/2021 3:41:02 PM
Neighbourhood:DOWNTOWN

Reference ID:Job No 383424508-002
Description:To change the use of a General Retail Store to a Liquor Store, and construct interior alterations.
Plan B2 Blk 5 Lots 191-192
Applicant:2058104 AB LTD
Create Date:1/11/2021 2:28:45 PM
Neighbourhood:DOWNTOWN

Back