News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.9K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Downtown

but my point remains that there are more pressing concerns than graffiti. namely, the reasons why it and other broken windows-like behaviours are occurring. people are quick to whine about the city not doing anything about it and push for calling 311 but aren’t so quick to actually do something that benefits marginalized people

There are certainly more pressing concerns than graffiti but I've still called 311 multiple times the last couple of years to report when public property has been vandalized. I'm empathetic with people who are frustrated by recurring vandalism though - its not a good feeling. And I'm not going to assume they don't make any positive contributions to the betterment of the city because they feel that way.

I do appreciate your passion and advocacy for people who are marginalized. You should share some ways in a post that people can make a difference - even small things as that may be more actionable to start.I do volunteer time and contribute money to different social causes in the city and yeah I could certainly do more and I will try. There are many people who make some very admirable contributions to the causes you speak of but obviously much more needs to be done overall.

Last edited:
Don't fight guys... everyone's opinion is valid and because we are relying on the written word it is easy to go off the rails -- withdraw accusations and try to understand opposing viewpoints.

It’s alright. I realize the more time I spend back on here, the more I recognize how out of sync my views are. Perhaps that shouldn’t be so surprising, as this is a development forum. Development these days generally circles around investments and making places attractive for more investment. It’s tied to private real estate transactions that focus on a want to build condos, hotels, and mixed-use villages that cater to people who can afford to be in these spaces. It doesn’t look at the needs of people who aren’t going to benefit from a new condo, but could benefit from safe and adequate housing. It views urban areas as ‘empty’ and ripe for investment in much the same way that early white settlers to Treaty 6 territory did, reproducing cycles of marginalization and dispossession because we’ve been sold this idea that if we can market ourselves to investment, we can have an environment reminiscent of the great cities — London, New York, Paris, Tokyo, and so on. But what often ends up happening leaves a lot to be desired, for a myriad of reasons, and fails to do what those cities have done in terms of urbanism while at the same time not addressing those most harmed by societal injustices.

I’m not anti-development, either. I’m very interested in cities, including Edmonton, as it is my hometown, and want them to be great places. But I want them to be great places for the people you don’t see at DBA or EEDC meetings. Unfortunately, the focus is just on any development -- we should be glad to get bunch of condo towers after decades of nothing, after all -- without actually asking who benefits. While I can’t speak to most individuals backgrounds on here, I’m guessing, for at least some, it comes from a place where you don’t have to worry about food and shelter. So now whenever I look at any developments on this website being discussed, I get angry, because the voices of those most marginalized continue to be ignored. A well-designed high-rise with good street interaction is great from an architecture + urban design perspective, but if the units start at $400,000, I don’t really care when we have people going without homes or in precarious housing situations. It just pushes gentrification and a fetish of wealth accumulation.

Unfortunately for me, I end up clashing with what I think is the more common doctrine on this website, which is backed by people in the business and development community, who, honestly, don’t really care about marginalized people, in a lot of cases, and often don’t really have to interact with such communities or who benefit from the displacement of such communities via Broken Windows-inspired policy as well as so-called revitalization schemes (which explains somebody like Ian’s misguided and callous remarks over time). So I’m not exactly sure there’s space for someone like me, who is critical of the market-oriented pro-development mantra of places such as this. I also don’t want to incite arguments and bitterness, as I know for many, this is a more peaceful refuge from other development forums with sizable Edmonton discussion. I left after the Manchester Square debate and came back and I’m back in the same situation. I don’t intend to cause fights, but I also can’t just read somebody like Ian claim something like Broken Windows Theory has any sort of validity and not say something.

Last edited:
There are certainly more pressing concerns than graffiti but I've still called 311 multiple times the last couple of years to report when public property has been vandalized. I'm empathetic with people who are frustrated by recurring vandalism though - its not a good feeling. And I'm not going to assume they don't make any positive contributions to the betterment of the city because they feel that way.

I do appreciate your passion and advocacy for people who are marginalized. You should share some ways in a post that people can make a difference - even small things as that may be more actionable to start.I do volunteer time and contribute money to different social causes in the city and yeah I could certainly do more and I will try. There are many people who make some very admirable contributions to the causes you speak of but obviously much more needs to be done overall.

Sure! I can put together some resources in a little while.

@dunno, There is 100% space for you here, all of us too.
You said - "So I’m not exactly sure there’s space for someone like me, who is critical of the market-oriented pro-development mantra of places such as this. I also don’t want to incite arguments and bitterness, as I know for many, this is a more peaceful refuge from other development forums with sizable Edmonton discussion."

I would really really like to chime in. Just not now.
I've had experience with poverty, on both ends of the scale.
Also, I have worked for a number of years with marginalized communities from Special Needs to within the jail system: to workshops/teachings on Reserves (from the NWT to southern AB), volunteered a the Stan Daniels Healing Centre taking inmates out to Sweat Lodges and such for a few years, etc. None of this in the last 10 years, but I'm still really keen on discussing what we can do.
I didn't want to come across as not caring, or from some "privileged" class. My thoughts as of now are that vandalism/graffiti need to be handled quickly, and I'm willing to learn much more about deeper solutions to this long term issue.

I would really really like to chime in. Just not now.
I've had experience with poverty, on both ends of the scale.
Also, I have worked for a number of years with marginalized communities from Special Needs to within the jail system: to workshops/teachings on Reserves (from the NWT to southern AB), volunteered a the Stan Daniels Healing Centre taking inmates out to Sweat Lodges and such for a few years, etc. None of this in the last 10 years, but I'm still really keen on discussing what we can do.
I didn't want to come across as not caring, or from some "privileged" class. My thoughts as of now are that vandalism/graffiti need to be handled quickly, and I'm willing to learn much more about deeper solutions to this long term issue.

Right, that's fair. I think things kind of spiraled and got into tangents that don't really serve the core discussion. For me, I came into this discussion because I saw a bunch of people complaining about some graffiti in the vicinity of Ezio Faraone Park and the High Level Bridge (so not the strawman Ken fed me about people's homes). To me, that is a really minor "problem" in the grand scheme of things, and I don't really care about it, so I commented on there being more important things. Treating things like graffiti as a problem is also what opened up the idea of broken windows theory, which funnily enough, Ian then commented on, citing its supposed seriousness. Now, I get why he might view the theory as such -- it is commonly taught in urban planning school (unsure if that's his background but obviously the people he encircles) and also as someone with interest in the business community of downtown, and therefore in its revitalization via gentrification, broken windows theory actually aids in his hopes of accomplishing a "vibrant downtown".

I feel like I need to explain broken windows theory now. It is basically a criminology theory from the early '80s stating that something which is indicative of a kind of dilapidation in a community, such as a broken window or graffiti, is a sign of "social disorder" apparently, and will draw in more crime. So, in order to tackle this crime, you need an increased police presence, punishing people for minor offenses, such as loitering, transit fare evasion, and stealing, so that it deters more violent crime. It was subsequently widely cited and was influential on 'tough-on-crime' municipal policies in various cities, most notably New York, in the 1990s. It has also been widely panned. Further studies have found little correlation and causal link between supposed disorder or antisocial behaviour and crime. Focusing on minor offenses, like fare evasion, essentially criminalizes being poor. Putting these folks in jail or fining them further sets them back in a system that has already worked so hard against them. It can make it harder to pay bills or even hold down employment. It also fails to address the root, namely some people simply need to get around but cannot afford the transit fare. Instead of looking to solutions to help poor and marginalized people, municipal governments and their friends have made their existence criminal. However, sweeping a neighbourhood of poor people, via fines, imprisonment, violence, and alienation, under the ideology of broken windows, is extremely profitable for people connected to real estate and business communities, as it makes it easier to gentrify these areas and make them 'desirable'. Terms like disorder and antisocial behaviour are also vague and give police the authority to use their own discretion as to what that means and are able to use force against poor people just living their lives. Also criminalizing certain behaviour, such as panhandling, can actually have more adverse effects on crime. Think of why someone may be asking for people's money on the street and if they are forced to stop doing that, but still need money to essentially exist, they may look at more serious offenses, such as breaking into someones home to steal a TV so they can pawn it for $30.

So, really, Ian is perhaps correct that broken windows theory is no joke, after all it has produced very harmful effects, particularly racialized communities (it was the inspiration for stop-and-frisk laws, IIRC), but it isn't a theory to be taken seriously as something to be implemented, as he seemed to suggest.

To bring it back to graffiti, again I have to ask why municipal resources must be utilized ASAP for the cleaning up of some spray paint on a bridge so that it basically looks nicer for some people? Why not look at why certain folks are doing graffiti at public sites and instead fund community orgs and things like housing and other basic needs for people? Obviously, it does not have to be an either-or situation, and you can do both, and removing graffiti doesn't necessarily have to descend into broken windows policing, but often times municipal governments will look at the one (the graffiti) as a nuisance to people it feels more beholden to due to their influence/power, without helping communities that may turn to crime out of necessity.

Last edited:

Ok, so I am not the be-all-end-all authority on things, and I do not have all of the answers, but I came up with some ways that people can help. I think ultimately, fixing these structural issues go beyond individual actions, and require the dismantling of such structures, but obviously people can still do good things that help in certain ways.

One thing is you can correspond with your councillor, the mayor, your MLA, or MP and express your disapproval of things that cause harm to racialized or otherwise marginalized (eg poor, disabled, queer, etc communities) groups. You can tell them that you want to see different policies that help these communities rather than continue cycles of harm and oppression.

You can also educate yourself, such as by reading books that deal with the harmful effects of racism, settler colonialism, homophobia, transphobia, ableism, classism, policing, and even capitalism itself. If you want some resources, I can list a few. You can then share this knowledge in your community.

If you occupy spaces of privilege (whiteness, affluence -- even middle class to some extent, cisgendered, straight, etc), use that privilege for good, advocate and give space to people that don't often get a say in things. For example, were the people living in Central McDougall, including the houseless population, consulted when the city bankrolled Daryl Katz's arena on the edges of their community? We need less situations like that.

You can also donate or volunteer for some local organizations trying to work against societal injustices. Some include:

Treaty 6 Outreach - https://www.instagram.com/treaty6outreach/
Shades of Colour - https://www.instagram.com/shadesofcolouryeg/?hl=en
The Quilt Bag's Trans Community Fund - https://thequiltbag.gay/pages/trans-community-fund
CHEW Project - https://chewprojectyeg.org/about
Canadian Native Friendship Centre - http://www.cnfc.ca/
Raricanow - https://raricanow.org/
Boyle Street Community Services - https://www.boylestreet.org/
Homeward Trust - https://homewardtrust.ca/
Bissell Centre - https://bissellcentre.org/programs/
Climate Justice Edmonton - https://climatejusticeedmonton.com/

It is inherent in all of us to 'The uplifting of the whole people shall be its final goal' and work to break cycles, revise approaches, find more effective ways to support those doing great things in and around our communities and provide learning opportunities for us all.

@dunno - I'd be happy to sit down with you virtually or in a few weeks to share perspectives; you might be surprised at what you find.

We all know that Policing/police is not the right, productive or fair way forward.

Like I said, happy to share more about my personal/meaningful/experiences/volunteered time/commitment to supporting groups such as Boyle Street + Downtown Pride social entreprise, REACH, Bissell, Mustard, CCI-LEX, PRIDE, The Food Bank, SAGE, iHuman, the Downtown Edmonton Community League, C-Tribe Festival, Homeward Trust, the Women's Emergency Accommodation Centre, #211, our emergency outreach team among others.

We are going to need to come together, work together and most importantly share together to create lasting, material change in our diverse and collective communities.

Last edited:
It is inherent in all of us to 'The uplifting of the whole people shall be its final goal' and work to break cycles, revise approaches, find more effective ways to support those doing great things in and around our communities and provide learning opportunities for us all.

@dunno - I'd be happy to sit down with you virtually or in a few weeks to share perspectives; you might be surprised at what you find.

We all know that Policing/police is not the right, productive or fair way forward.

Like I said, happy to share more about my personal/meaningful/experiences/volunteered time/commitment to supporting groups such as Boyle Street + Downtown Pride social entreprise, REACH, Bissell, Mustard, CCI-LEX, PRIDE, The Food Bank, SAGE, iHuman, the Downtown Edmonton Community League, C-Tribe Festival, Homeward Trust, the Women's Emergency Accommodation Centre, #211, our emergency outreach team among others.

We are going to need to come together, work together and most importantly share together to create lasting, material change in our diverse and collective communities.
Allow me to disagree a little bit just in the police/policing part.
What we need is to train and prepare our polices to actually provide the inicial help to people, especially people dealing with mental illness and drug addictions. Instead of spending millions of dollars in war apparel, armored vehicles and a SWAT team that hasn't had an actual use for years, we should be sending officers to school, to psychology and social studies majors, so they're equipped with the right tools and mindset to treat such people with dignity and empathy, while still maintaining presence on the streets that's trained to handle the actual criminals as well.
A few cities around the planet have done this quite successfully, especially in Europe (Oslo and Helsinki come to mind, but there are others).

^^^
for the record, we were talking about graffiti on surfaces that the taggers did not own and for which they had no consent or permission to tag and that’s not a matter of “personal preference” in ezio faraone park or on the high level bridge any more than if it was your home.

you don’t actually seem to want to engage with what i’m saying and instead you’re distorting it to fit something more easy to attack. also, yes, there is a difference between public and private space and me saying ‘whatever’ to some graffiti on a bridge is not the same as me saying ‘whatever‘ to someone’s home being spray painted (in fact, i haven’t even shared my opinion on that). please, if you must resort to a strawman, find a better one!!!

Last edited:
Allow me to disagree a little bit just in the police/policing part.
What we need is to train and prepare our polices to actually provide the inicial help to people, especially people dealing with mental illness and drug addictions. Instead of spending millions of dollars in war apparel, armored vehicles and a SWAT team that hasn't had an actual use for years, we should be sending officers to school, to psychology and social studies majors, so they're equipped with the right tools and mindset to treat such people with dignity and empathy, while still maintaining presence on the streets that's trained to handle the actual criminals as well.
A few cities around the planet have done this quite successfully, especially in Europe (Oslo and Helsinki come to mind, but there are others).

disagree. police as a structure and institution is inherently unjust and previous efforts towards reform (body cameras, investigative units, etc) do nothing to change the fact. for many communities that are routinely harmed by police, they’re fed up, and want the institution to be dismantled, with efforts focused more on providing healthcare, community supports, and lifting people out of poverty — the main reason most turn to crime anyways — and having a more community-based, democratic way of dealing with more serious crime. unfortunately, the priorities of our society are not currently conducive to this. police originated as a way to protect capital (under the guise of order and obedience) and it continues to be the priority, reproducing violence against Indigenous and other groups of people.

You can’t just say “policing is not right or fair” and then uphold broken windows theory. I have already said what I’ve had to say — I’ve responded thoroughly to everyone here, even people I have on my Ignore List — and you kick any sort of meaningful dialogue down the road while pumping up your chest by name-dropping all of the ’experiences’ you have. I’m not interested in your CV.

you don’t actually seem to want to engage with what i’m saying and instead you’re distorting it to fit something more easy to attack. also, yes, there is a difference between public and private space and me saying ‘whatever’ to some graffiti on a bridge is not the same as me saying ‘whatever‘ to someone’s home being spray painted (in fact, i haven’t even shared my opinion on that). please, if you must resort to a strawman, find a better one!!!
it’s only a straw man if it’s not real. you are free to disagree on it’s relative importance (although we would probably agree on that) or on how to address it (and we would probably agree on that as well), not on its existence and the fact it shouldn’t.

Last edited:

Back