News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

10507 to 10539–124 Street NW - Casia Developments - 2 x up to 27 - Proposed

I would also argue that development in Westmount, as in Oliver doesn't harm downtown, but rather augments it. The more people in this central part of the north side, between approx Westmount and Stadium, then the more people that are within easy access of downtown, and thus will make use of services, facilities and spaces downtown. The more people there are to use services downtown means the more justification to have services downtown, and in turn the more people who will be visiting downtown on a regular basis.
This can create a positive feedback loop that could further motivate someone else to want to live downtown, or at the very least live within easy access of downtown. We all benefit from the development and infill of the entire central city.
A rising tide lifts all ships.. or something like that.

I've been saying for a long time that 124th st needs one, hopefully the chances are high

I am hoping that Marriott, Hilton, Germain and other hotel brands will step up to the plate for a hotel development on this stretch of 124th St.

the corner lot where Jasper ave turns into 124 street would be a fun spot for a nice hotel. Also the Plaza 124 street building I thought could be converted to a hotel but might be a bit small and is being converted to residential.

I would ask again near the end of this decade.
I think 124 st will not convert into a nightlife hub, but can definitely be the city's premier dining destination, and that combined with it potentially being a great arts and entertainment destination could definitely help attract a trendy hotel.

I think 124 st will not convert into a nightlife hub, but can definitely be the city's premier dining destination, and that combined with it potentially being a great arts and entertainment destination could definitely help attract a trendy hotel.

Given that has not happened in the cultural core, how about we focus efforts there?

124st needs a few more elements, but I don't see a mainstream hotel finding success there.

This city has hotels in run down industrial areas. I don't think it's crazy to desire or expect a relatively small sized hotel in this area. There are rails being built right now that connect this spot to the largest mall in North America.

Obviously I'd prefer a major hotel chain to be slapped in front of a new valley line stop downtown, but this area is a good spot.

The Roxy Theatre is just 1 or 2 blocks away which could be a major arts/entertainment hub down the road.

I'd rather see 124st grow some smaller scale hotel/suites more reminiscent of the Union Bank Inn or a B&B to offer something different.

Use the Roxy as an epicentre, activate it more often, add in another venue or two if you really want a hub to develop and focus on some multi-fam density in and around 107ave/124st +/- 3 blocks.

I'd rather see 124st grow some smaller scale hotel/suites more reminiscent of the Union Bank Inn or a B&B to offer something different.

Use the Roxy as an epicentre, activate it more often, add in another venue or two if you really want a hub to develop and focus on some multi-fam density in and around 107ave/124st +/- 3 blocks.
I do think something smaller scale would work best in the area, the size of Union Bank Inn or maybe a bit larger. There is really nothing in the area right now, compared to Whyte Ave that has had two nice hotels for a quite a while.

It could be unique and local or a chain that might appeal more to visitors to the area, either could work. Having the LRT will make it easy to either quickly go downtown or to West Ed, as well as having a pleasant walkable area with its some of its own retail and dining.

Theres not a business on 124th that wouldn't benefit from having a few dozen out of towners staying in the neighbourhood every night. And from what I've seen, 124th is the area I would want to show off to visitors if I was trying to give them a good impression of the city. I'm not saying it needs a 20 story luxury hotel, but a mid sized average budget hotel would do wonders.

Back