News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

10507 to 10539–124 Street NW - Casia Developments - 2 x up to 27 - Proposed

They have done a couple recent multi-fam just north of Downtown/Oliver including:

Yeah I had noticed that one, but it was the only project I could find by them. I definitely hope they bust out something far higher quality for this one...

You know we're starved of actual developments when a mere massing exercise becomes the hottest new thread and blossoms to 3 pages in 24hrs.

Haha yes we are definitely a bit starved. But I think this one will probably get more attention than other projects due to its location. PRIME spot and important to get it right.

I'm curious if anyone had heard anything about plans for the old warehouses behind this site between it and The Edward? They are mostly empty from what I've notice and would definitely not be missed if they were redeveloped. They also have a red outline around them in the photo.

You know we're starved of actual developments when a mere massing exercise becomes the hottest new thread and blossoms to 3 pages in 24hrs.
I was just thinking that funny enough.

While there are some exciting projects under construction right now and some cool ones starting shortly, I cannot help but feel we're in this weird "calm before the storm" period where we could really see some great proposals and construction getting started that would really shape the city over the next 2-3 years. Who knows though, time will tell.

I was just thinking that funny enough.

While there are some exciting projects under construction right now and some cool ones starting shortly, I cannot help but feel we're in this weird "calm before the storm" period where we could really see some great proposals and construction getting started that would really shape the city over the next 2-3 years. Who knows though, time will tell.
Agreed. It's like being back in 2019 reading about all these proposed projects that all finally started to break ground in 2021/early 2022.

All for development, but if you allow this kind of density here you won't see it Downtown. There's only so much market demand and it will go wherever is most desirable and Council allows it to go, the biggest tool Council under the MGA is built form and determining where it goes. We have many redevelopment plans and it's obviously a balance with what the market wants, something like Mercury Block would be more appropriate here imo.

Last edited:
I like the scale of the Hat at 122 for much of 124 st as it moves north of 104 Ave to 118 Ave.

Definitely a lot of opportunity along 124 st for more density.

Last edited:
All for development, but if you allow this kind of density here you won't see it Downtown. There's only so much market demand and it will go wherever is most desirable and Council allows it to go, the biggest tool Council under the MGA is built form and determining where it goes. We have many redevelopment plans and it's obviously a balance with what the market wants, something like Mercury Block would be more appropriate here imo.
Density like this already exists in the area, and with there being virtually no tourists in the area, the businesses on 124th need as many residents in the area as possible.

This is a heck of a location and one that absolutely works for this kind of height/density. It's not Westmount's responsibility to accept less people because Downtown isn't able to attract people/development on their own. I would also say that I don't think it's a perfect either or situation. If someone can't live here I don't know if the downtown core is their next option.

I would also argue that development in Westmount, as in Oliver doesn't harm downtown, but rather augments it. The more people in this central part of the north side, between approx Westmount and Stadium, then the more people that are within easy access of downtown, and thus will make use of services, facilities and spaces downtown. The more people there are to use services downtown means the more justification to have services downtown, and in turn the more people who will be visiting downtown on a regular basis.
This can create a positive feedback loop that could further motivate someone else to want to live downtown, or at the very least live within easy access of downtown. We all benefit from the development and infill of the entire central city.

Echoing what has already been said: if they don't build it here, downtown likely won't be their next destination.
This whole area, between 116 st and 124 street, south of 107 Ave, is densifying fast, over the past few years, and is probably becoming the best urban experience area in the city. I would honestly like it to keep the momentum.

Also, a lot of people in more suburban areas see West Oliver/124 st as an extension of downtown where they still feel safe and comfortable, unlike further east. You pair this with being a block away from an LRT station, and all of a sudden the 4-500 people that could be living here are using downtown's services frequently, improving vibrancy there as well.

So - what are the chances of seeing a hotel being included in one of these new developments?

Back