News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.9K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Unbuilt Projects

Therein lies the problem. What advantage does Edmonton have in supporting that over Calgary? De Beers already chose Calgary. The much busier airport confers many advantages for operations like that.

A busier airport isn't the be-all, end-all. Edmonton is still physically closer to the territories, which locks in its status as a staging / production hub. Owing to this, Edmonton has become more blue-collar over time while Calgary gets the white-collar jobs.

Edmonton has an identity crisis for a long time: On one hand it's a government town with a strong civic / institutional sector, on the other it's a blue-collar city and an industrial hub. There has to be a reconciliation of some sort.

A few more on a lazy Sunday morning:
Commonwealth Square: was to be built on the big parking lot between 102 and 103 Streets north side of 100 Ave; 40 storey office building; 35 storey mixed use tower including a 400 room Hyatt hotel and condos. Picture/article in the Journal July 29, 1982.
scan 026.jpg

Fidelity Building: 38 storey office building on south side of Jasper Ave on the site of the current Telus plaza and Union Bank Inn; would have been the head office of PFC (Pocklington Financial Corporation); 146 meters high, 500k sq ft of office space; landscaped rooftop terrace; would have retained the facade of the Union Bank Inn.
Fidelity Building_1.jpgFidelity Building_2.jpg

I'm glad others are enjoying these old newspaper pictures. I have a bunch more to post - need to spend some time dusting off some of those old newspaper articles and then with my scanner over the next little while. In the meantime here are a few more:
A mixed use tower planned for that parking lot on the southeast corner of Jasper and 99 St, immediately west of the Convention Center main entrance. 14 storey hotel (213 rooms) with a 23 storey office building above (134.5 meters high in total). Three landscaped rooftop terraces. Mid 1980s. Cool design.
Jasper_99 St.jpg

Fidelity Building: 38 storey office building on south side of Jasper Ave on the site of the current Telus plaza and Union Bank Inn; would have been the head office of PFC (Pocklington Financial Corporation); 146 meters high, 500k sq ft of office space; landscaped rooftop terrace; would have retained the facade of the Union Bank Inn.
View attachment 243752View attachment 243753

Call me crazy (and I know I'll probably be in the minority here) but I'd love to see a tower, or hell, even some kind of decent mid-rise built on Telus Plaza someday in a far off future where downtown's densified a bit more and viable lots have began to run out. The break in the street wall's always felt super weird to me and the urban feel of the whole block has been made worse with the small First and Jasper project.

Anyways, a concept and some, perhaps more accurately described "differently built," unbuilt projects:

Journal Building Edmonton_Journal_Fri__Jan_9__1981_ (1).png

Above is an architectural concept for a new Edmonton Journal building. Long story short, there was quite a lot of debate about the Journal building a new home — one camp, made up of Joe Citizen, The Society for the Protection of Architectural Resources in Edmonton, and the City itself, wanted the paper to preserve the facades of the original, beautiful William Blakey designed Journal Building, while the other camp, basically the Journal all by its lonesome, wanted it demolished. The proposal above was a City idea to try and make a viable compromise. Ultimately, the paper threatened to pull out of downtown for the suburbs in the late '80s when the core was really struggling and the City allowed them to go with their preferred plan in the name of revitalization (how much their current building helps the street is up for debate). Only a small part of the original facade was retained and is awfully mangled and contorted within the PoMo glass atrium of the 'new' building.

IMG_20190830_202224_371 (1).jpg

Above is an early concept for the Glenora School by the amazing firm Rule, Wynn & Rule. From my write up: "Founded in 1938 by two recent University of Alberta graduates and friends, John Rule and Gordon Wynn, they were soon joined by John’s brother and University graduate, Peter, in 1940. At ages thirty-six, thirty, and twenty-seven respectively, it was among one of the youngest by age in the city and the trio fully embraced the ethos of Modernism and the Art Deco movements, as their works just prior to and concurrent to their design of Glenora confirms, including the Dreamland and Varscona Theatres. However, for their school commission they were forced to take a more traditional design approach, as G.A. McKee, Supervisor of Schools, requested the building be designed in the Tudor Style to blend in with the orthodox surroundings of the neighbourhood." This design is a little more on-the-nose English than what got built and still stands.

Edmonton_Journal_Thu__Jun_6__1963_.jpg

Above, is an early draft of the, now former, Royal Bank of Canada Tower. The finned elements on the tower itself were ultimately stripped away before construction began.

Edmonton_Journal_Thu__Nov_4__1965_.jpg

And finally, perhaps the saddest of the mid-century unbuilts, especially for a Modernism lover like myself. This was to be the completed plan for the Edmonton Public School Board's new Administration Building on the northeast corner of 101st Street and 107A Avenue. All that stands today is the two storey podium. Any University students or alumni will immediately see a striking resemblance to the Students Union Building on campus — fitting given it was designed by the same firm, Richards, Berretti & Jelinek, at basically the same time.

Oof, I also don't know how in a years worth of time I still haven't posted this project. I personally think it might just take the cake as the greatest unbuilt in Edmonton's history:
ARCAE-P-795_OriginalPlan1924-WEB.jpg

This was the original proposal for St. Joseph's Cathedral. Here's a still unfinished, unrefined, ineloquent (if we can call any of my ramblings finished, refined or polished) write up detailing the building's construction I've been working on: "The new congregation established a building committee in January 1924. They had soon set to work and within several months had received a finalized set of drawings from architect, and frequent Catholic Church collaborator, Edward Underwood. Their long awaited home was to be the head of an archdiocese and its design was to be befitting of one — a grand Neo-Gothic cathedral, intent on rivalling those in Cologne and Aachen in terms of sheer beauty, ornamentation, and scale. Over the coming months construction proceeded swimmingly and its foundational cornerstone was laid on November 4th, 1924 by Archbishop Henry O’Leary. Yet, only half of their funding goal had been achieved and when the building’s doors opened to parishioners on March 22nd, 1925, they funnelled into a crypt and not a grand sanctuary. The “basement church,” as it was often disparagingly called, had cost the congregation the princely sum of $140,000. With no funds left to complete their home Edmonton’s Anglo-Catholics worshiped in the small basement, as money was fundraised in the hopes they would be able to relaunch the project. But, “the Great Depression, World War Two, archdiocesan growth, and some structural problems delayed completion of the cathedral, until Archbishop G.H. MacDonald lay the groundwork for completion” in the 1950s. It wasn't until 1957 that enough funds had been secured to recommence building and Architect Henri LaBelle of Montreal, along with local associate architect Eugene Oleksky were hired do redesign Underwood’s plan."

Now, I love the current Basilica. Its sanctuary is probably one of the most beautiful and awe inspiring places in the entire city and its this super, super cool and masterful hybrid of modern and traditional design elements that my inner armchair architect loves... but man, this one always feels like such a missed opportunity.

Yes, great stuff @_Citizen_Dane_ . Totally agree with you on St. Joseph's.
In respect of the Journal building and site, here are a couple newspaper pictures/articles on a blockbuster for the whole block where the Journal and Royal Bank Buildings currently are (between 101/ 102 Streets and Jasper Ave /MacDonald Drive). The Royal Center - a mixed use (office, hotel, retail) development of three towers (40, 31 and 25 storeys). This would have been 1981/1982 ish. The old Journal building was to be torn down with this proposal and a small clock tower at the corner of 101 St and MacDonald Drive was to be built out of the salvaged red bricks.
The one on the left is a view looking almost directly south, Jasper Ave in the foreground. The one on the right is a view looking northeast.

Royal Center_1.jpg
Royal Center_2.jpg

A few more on a lazy Sunday morning:
Commonwealth Square: was to be built on the big parking lot between 102 and 103 Streets north side of 100 Ave; 40 storey office building; 35 storey mixed use tower including a 400 room Hyatt hotel and condos. Picture/article in the Journal July 29, 1982.
View attachment 243750
We lost a major gap-filler there. That empty lot is the worst in Edmonton IMO ?

Back