Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Some old proposals that were never built:

Via

Last edited:
I figure some forumers might be interested in this event / exhibition:

An excellent idea for a thread. So many proposals have come and gone over the years that it's insane;

Going way back in time you had this project that never got off the ground. It was to be the city's main police and fire department headquarters. Designed by Architect Allan Merrick Jeffers, of the Legislature Building fame, it was floated around 1913/14. I've come across news clippings discussing it, but have yet to find out why it was canceled; I'm assuming it had to due to the war, lack of material and manpower, and Edmonton's dwindling population.
nc-6-5958.jpg

From the same period was the University of Alberta's original masterplan by Montreal architectural firm Nobbs & Darling. Again, lack of growth and shifting priorities in the following decades saw it massively altered;

Another amazing proposal from before the Great War was this Byzantine-inspired Strathcona Cathedral, to be located around 84 Avenue, and 105 Street; sadly i've been unable to find much about it.
na-1328-2774.jpg

Three of my favourite unbuilt projects will always be these ones, related to the City's early 1960's quest for a new arena. You had the awesomely space-age looking Hashman proposal;
20191001_233440.png

The Stanford Research Institute's almost modern looking proposal;
20191001_234639.png

And then you had C.N.'s crazily audacious plan, which you'll often see erroneously referred to on other boards as the "CN Pylon";
20191001_232603.png

A full copy of "A Coliseum, Trade Centre or Domed Stadium for Edmonton," filled with the descriptions of all these projects, can be found here.

And what would be an unbuilt projects thread without the MET Freeway;
ultimatestagekey.jpg

What's really interesting to note is that the first two arena proposals up above were a direct result of the METS Plan. You many notice that the site they were supposed to be built on is the current location of Canada Place. Well, in the early 60's the City ended up buying pretty much everything between 99 and 97 Streets between Jasper and 102 Avenues for the purposes of constructing an interchange, and what was left was to be allocated for a new stadium;
Stage1-III-2.jpg

However, when the freeway completely fell through around 1964, so did the arena proposals, and the City was left with this huge chunk of area largely consisting of old and decaying turn-of-the-century buildings. They sat on it until 1980 when they entered into a three way deal with the Province and Federal Government. The Province got the Federal Public Building on the Legislative Grounds for $20,000,000, the Fed's got this piece of land, and the City got the Ortona, Prince of Wales, and Connaught Armouries.

A few portions of the MET were actually built. Obviously the James MacDonald Bridge, and its grossly overbuilt series of turnoffs is the most well known but a few other small vestiges exist. For instance, 117 Street just south of 107 Avenue near St. Joachim's Cemetery. It merges into 116 Street at 105 Avenue, and this was done as part of the first stage of the plan. Then there's 107A Avenue. Between the McCauley area's gridding in the early 20th Century to about 1960, no 107A Avenue existed between 97 and 101 Streets. As you can see below, the Ave's odd curve and overbuilt nature is the result of the plan;
Stage1-I-1.jpg

Definitely happy that the massive freeway network was never built...

Definitely happy that the massive freeway network was never built...
Clear cutting most of the city's mature neighbourhoods, cramming highways right through the middle of scenic ravines, most likely costing several billion for tens of kilometres of roads that would already be failing, doing nothing to actually address traffic issues — it's probably the city's most pure epitome of a bullet dodged.

Still kinda wish we could get this, though I'm less fond of the idea of a facadectomy of the CIBC building.
Agreed on both accounts. The huge podium of Commerce Place has always felt like such a wasted opportunity, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't happy the C.I.B.C. survived because another tower wasn't built. The preservation of the bank was a hot topic issue back in the day, and it took the C.I.B.C. over ten years to figure out what they were doing with it.

CIBC Edmonton_Journal_Tue__May_9__1989_.jpgCIBC Edmonton_Journal_Sun__Oct_1__1989_.jpgCIBC Edmonton_Journal_Wed__May_19__1999_.jpg

For as long as I've followed the development going on in this city, there's always been complaining about how buildings never turn out like the render. While not necessarily 'unbuilt' projects, these two show that rendering tomfoolery has been going on for at least a century. For instance, the University's Arts Building was originally supposed to look like this;
PC013717.jpg

A significant delay in construction, caused by a legislative scandal, saw its Allan Jeffers plan significantly redesigned by Percy Nobbs and George Hyde of Montreal, which turned out like this;
PC013623.jpg

And then there's the Birks Building on Jasper Avenue and 104 Street — incidentally another Nobbs & Hyde design. Initially meant to be a small two storey block, the Henry Birks & Son Co. received so much interest they added another two, along with that cool streamlined corner;

And the well known icon as it turned out;
nd-3-5848d.jpg

Highly recommend this exhibit. One of the highlights? MADE confirms a long-standing rumour about a certain tower that ended up being built in Calgary instead of here.

This is my favorite one I found while doing a school project. There's a lot of City Hall #4 designs out there since I believe it was an open competition.

Looking forward to checking out the MADE exhibit next week.

Edmonton-City-Hall.jpg

HOLY CRAP! I would've only thought of something like that in Edmonton in my wildest dreams! Shame that it never saw the light of day.

There's the Eaton centre (Triple 5) towers that were never built. The third extension of Canada Place is another. I can't find the photos of the renders though.

Last edited:

Back