News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.7K     0 

Unbuilt Projects

^ That's a great find. Although I'm much happier with what we ended up with. Canada Place is a unique looking structure and still looks quite modern for being over 30 years old.
Yeah, that earlier campus proposal looks too institutional for a downtown parcel. Meanwhile, Canada Place looks less institutional, although it technically is more of an institution, since it primarily houses public service workers and there is no office, hotel or retail component (unless you wish to count the food court and that speedy little passport photo shop).

Last edited:
Hey @cpnfantstk. I went digging through my own personal archives and found a couple articles with pictures of the full CP model. Here is one:

View attachment 243112
Wow, talk about a time capsule. Neat to think that I walk by this model every day at the office and yet it was unveiled in the Citadel Theatre some 35 years ago. Great find! As others have said, "now the secret is out" about this unfinished building.

I also heard that Ralph Klein happened. Everything to Calgary. I'm interested in knowing the story behind this. If someone knows more about it, please share.
I have a strong feeling that the 21st century is Edmonton's turn, especially if we take the lead on economic diversification (as we should).

^ AI - big thing is the person who developed many of the principles likes living in Edmonton! The university being larger should continue to confer advantages too. Possible that Aurora Cannabis as it consolidates and stabilizes concentrates in Edmonton.

Otherwise, Edmonton will always be fighting a somewhat uphill battle compared to Calgary when a company is making a decision on which to locate a second or third Canadian office (after Toronto and Vancouver) --similar advantages while not having a few attributes Calgary has: more direct flights; proximity to the mountains; and weather which is consistently not as cold.

Last edited:
There was a mention a couple pages back of a City market. This market was an on-again/off-again project in the 1990's. Here is a couple of versions of the market which was on Jasper, just east of the Lodge and Brighton Block.
The first is from the Journal in March 1995.
Old Towne Maket March 1995.jpg

We grow better garlic!
Not the first area of economic diversification that comes to mind, but Agriculture, in general, could be one important advantage over our southern friends. Not the monoculture that is currently devastating whole ecosystems, rather Greenfield and Greenhouse growth and various food processing/production that could be marketed worldwide. Interesting fact, Edmonton has approximately 138 frost-free days and the longest growing season on the Prairies by far, currently rated a zone 4a. Plus the potential to utilize the excess heating/cooling capacity as a byproduct from our energy sector could be an advantage. We have a massive advantage in the soil type and rainfall categories as well.

@JNO1 Love the Alberta Hotel with that turret. Another bullet dodged.
@Kaizen Agriculture great. What about tech, forestry, mining? We should be the centre for everything above us. NWT especially.
Therein lies the problem. What advantage does Edmonton have in supporting that over Calgary? De Beers already chose Calgary. The much busier airport confers many advantages for operations like that.

We grow better garlic!
Not the first area of economic diversification that comes to mind, but Agriculture, in general, could be one important advantage over our southern friends. Not the monoculture that is currently devastating whole ecosystems, rather Greenfield and Greenhouse growth and various food processing/production that could be marketed worldwide. Interesting fact, Edmonton has approximately 138 frost-free days and the longest growing season on the Prairies by far, currently rated a zone 4a. Plus the potential to utilize the excess heating/cooling capacity as a byproduct from our energy sector could be an advantage. We have a massive advantage in the soil type and rainfall categories as well.
Access to water and good geology for storage of feedstock, intermediate stock, and finished product is why Edmonton has most of the province's petrochemical capacity. A major study of the barriers to waste heat recovery from the industrial complexes (at what price does it become worth it to build a network instead of across the fence installations) would be super interesting.

Also, surveying industrial processes for water intensive manufacturing and seeing if Edmonton could be competitive would be interesting.

Back