News   Apr 02, 2020
 3K     0 

Touch the Water Promenade / River Valley "Seawall"

#potential

Screenshot 2024-09-10 at 6.15.12 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-09-10 at 6.15.26 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-09-10 at 6.15.38 PM.png
z0662s1ag5u21.jpg

Potential or nostalgia? We need to be realistic about the power plant. It's an industrial space and it's not going to booked for the suit and tie crowd for an event.

Potential or nostalgia? We need to be realistic about the power plant. It's an industrial space and it's not going to booked for the suit and tie crowd for an event.

Huh? Old industrial/warehouse spaces are repurposed around the world to very much appeal to the cocktail crowd. From art museums, to cultural centres, to food halls and event spaces, these are often the coolest of spaces and certainly could be here too.

The Forks in Winnipeg started as 2 rail car warehouses.
1726068680867.png

The Distillery District in Toronto was a ... distillery
1726068652748.png

Roundhouse in Vancouver was a train stable.
1726068611323.png

The Powerhouse at Beloit College, Wisconsin
1726068910327.png

Pratt Street Powerplant - Baltimore
1726069021159.png

We have an interesting, central, prime real estate building along our river in a city known for tearing down historical buildings. I think it would be a shame to destroy it.

Gentrified industrial building do work well for a variety of uses in walkable dense urban setting but the river valley isn't that setting. The brick character buildings work in the warehouse district on 104 Street but isn't the Pendentis struggling because of its setting? A Kananaskis resort style development with a spa and perhaps a gondola to connect it to Downtown and Whyte Avenue is more suited to the setting of river valley than using the power plant to try and import character into the river valley.

Last edited:
If anything, the old power plant could be a major destination and draw... BECAUSE of where it is. Imagine patios out over the river, pump house restaurants, rooftop opportunities paired with art, culture, design in a family friendly setting to explore, learn more about the river, the history of Edmonton, indigenous culture/teachings and how about that amazing nordic spa concept Zabinski had. Tie it together with the gondola to have decent people moving capacity with very low impact and call it a day.

The Pendennis is due to underlying social issues and perceptions of that area, along with very little commercial demand.

Let's go to Edmonton and see the power plant? I really don't see that happening. I could see people interested in going cross country skiing on a trail network and then going to a new resort style hotel and spa development with a gondola that could take them to an Oiler game, or the museum, Citadel, Winspear or whatever in the evening.

^there are many, many possibilities and it could be Edmonton's Forks along with more commercial dev north of RE/MAX and a little something at the base of QE hill.
There is already a parking area just north of the ball park, which doesn't get used for much except for ball games which could also serve more commercial space nearby as well as for something developed in the Power Plant.

I see both arguments Out of Towner, regarding keep the powerplant itself versus something new. My biggest concern is something in the middle, aka do nothing for another decade.

In my dream scenario, no funding constraints & all parties on-board, would be a mid-rise development of all the Provincial/private land between 105th street & 97 avenue adding 500-100 units Similar to Eau Claire Waterfront in Calgary, or simply a mini Riverdale. A 4-star hotel as part of that development, catered to Legislature/Gov related visitors. Then powerplant as a standalone, restaurant/market style amenity with waterfront patios.

Back