News   Apr 03, 2020
 8.1K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 9.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3K     0 

Touch the Water Promenade / River Valley "Seawall"

I agree more mid rise development in the area would certainly help too. However, I feel part of the problem is we are waiting somehow for all these pieces to somehow miraculously all come together at once which may never happen, rather than realizing revitalizing an area is not an all or nothing thing, but usually a step by step process.

So redevelopment of a stand alone powerplant would add needed amenities to the area and so make mid rise development more likely and vice versa, more mid rise development would make the development of the powerplant more attractive.

I agree more mid rise development in the area would certainly help too. However, I feel part of the problem is we are waiting somehow for all these pieces to somehow miraculously all come together at once which may never happen, rather than realizing revitalizing an area is not an all or nothing thing, but usually a step by step process.

So redevelopment of a stand alone powerplant would add needed amenities to the area and so make mid rise development more likely and vice versa, more mid rise development would make the development of the powerplant more attractive

I see both arguments Out of Towner, regarding keep the powerplant itself versus something new. My biggest concern is something in the middle, aka do nothing for another decade.

In my dream scenario, no funding constraints & all parties on-board, would be a mid-rise development of all the Provincial/private land between 105th street & 97 avenue adding 500-100 units Similar to Eau Claire Waterfront in Calgary, or simply a mini Riverdale. A 4-star hotel as part of that development, catered to Legislature/Gov related visitors. Then powerplant as a standalone, restaurant/market style amenity with waterfront patios.
The Eau Clair Waterfront development is really nice but it differs in that it's more integrated into downtown than Rossdale is. Rossdale is its own small enclave that's unlikely to ever have the population density to support a thriving commercial sector which in turn affects residential development. For that reason, a recreational focus like Kananaskis Village or even the bigger Whistler Village is likely the better path for the river valley and the community of Rossdale. A boutique hotel with a supporting Nordic spa and a variety of resort style small businesses in a walkable format all connected to a cross country ski network would be a good little getaway for many people. I get the urban romanticism with the power plant but just can't see it as the center piece or starting piece of a development.

I mean we have how many outdoor pools that open for 3 months, but could have city run or private nordic spas year round. It's time to rethink this.
don't forget that they are now closed, lots of good days left in the year, some city staffer on TV said it's getting cold at night, SO close at 5 or 6

The Eau Clair Waterfront development is really nice but it differs in that it's more integrated into downtown than Rossdale is. Rossdale is its own small enclave that's unlikely to ever have the population density to support a thriving commercial sector which in turn affects residential development. For that reason, a recreational focus like Kananaskis Village or even the bigger Whistler Village is likely the better path for the river valley and the community of Rossdale. A boutique hotel with a supporting Nordic spa and a variety of resort style small businesses in a walkable format all connected to a cross country ski network would be a good little getaway for many people. I get the urban romanticism with the power plant but just can't see it as the center piece or starting piece of a development.
Yes, it is different from Calgary because of the distance from downtown. Rossdale is small, but really so little nearby in a walkable distance, so there is actually an existing enclave that could support more.

However, much of what would be developed would probably also need to be focused on tourists and visitors. Although you can have a coffee shop, restaurant or other retail business that serves both.

A lot of people already come to this area (especially since the new bridge), it is just that the most logical place to add amenities is at a standstill because government isn't moving forward with anything.

Yes, it is different from Calgary because of the distance from downtown. Rossdale is small, but really so little nearby in a walkable distance, so there is actually an existing enclave that could support more.

However, much of what would be developed would probably also need to be focused on tourists and visitors. Although you can have a coffee shop, restaurant or other retail business that serves both.

A lot of people already come to this area (especially since the new bridge), it is just that the most logical place to add amenities is at a standstill because government isn't moving forward with anything.
good luck getting neighbourhood approval, remember these are the people that wouldn't let the city re-activate an underused fire hall in their neighbourhood... shame, shame, shame...

The Bohemian Village concept with arts and crafts and the power plant as a central hub would struggle to remain economically viable over the long term imo. The same vision was tried in Boyle and it fell flat on its face. Even though Rossdale doesn't have the same social issues as Boyle, like Boyle its ability to support businesses is constrained by its small population. A recreational focused development would have a much better chance of overcoming that obstacle. Unlike a Bohemian village that can be found in most large cities - and good ones that Edmonton could never compete with - there aren't that many cross country ski resorts around and few cities have the weather or natural features to do a good one. A resort style hotel with a Nordic spa and a variety of supporting businesses would likely have the ability to attract a cluster of higher end condo developments for people that enjoy an active lifestyle. There would be some push back from the city's Legerites that frown on development but it would be unique development that most other cities could not do. Not talking Aspen or Banff or anything like that but developed correctly and Edmonton could be a bit of a winter destination. How many winter cities can say that?

The Bohemian Village concept with arts and crafts and the power plant as a central hub would struggle to remain economically viable over the long term imo. The same vision was tried in Boyle and it fell flat on its face. Even though Rossdale doesn't have the same social issues as Boyle, like Boyle its ability to support businesses is constrained by its small population. A recreational focused development would have a much better chance of overcoming that obstacle. Unlike a Bohemian village that can be found in most large cities - and good ones that Edmonton could never compete with - there aren't that many cross country ski resorts around and few cities have the weather or natural features to do a good one. A resort style hotel with a Nordic spa and a variety of supporting businesses would likely have the ability to attract a cluster of higher end condo developments for people that enjoy an active lifestyle. There would be some push back from the city's Legerites that frown on development but it would be unique development that most other cities could not do. Not talking Aspen or Banff or anything like that but developed correctly and Edmonton could be a bit of a winter destination. How many winter cities can say that?
trust that there will be affordable housing in these higher end condo's as the river valley should be available to all...

IMG_4585.jpeg

trust that there will be affordable housing in these higher end condo's as the river valley should be available to all...
This a very academic debate because there are no high end condos being built in Rossdale now and there haven't been for many years. Probably the lack of amenities nearby is a big problem and it has become a chicken and egg thing - not much around, not attractive to develop. Not a lot of people around, not much incentive for more commercial development, so not much has happened for decades.

However, I think the other examples of areas with failed or stalled development in Edmonton are not great comparisons. This area is nothing like Boyle street and could be made very appealing with the proper tweaks.

I do agree something that incorporates a strong appeal to tourists/visitors is likely to succeed here more than something else because of the area's limited population. But it does not have to be either/or, adding amenities and commercial development can make the area more appealing to both visitors and people living nearby.

Let's go to Edmonton and see the power plant? I really don't see that happening. I could see people interested in going cross country skiing on a trail network and then going to a new resort style hotel and spa development with a gondola that could take them to an Oiler game, or the museum, Citadel, Winspear or whatever in the evening.
You probably don't go to London to see an old power plant either but lots of people go to London to see Tate Modern...

Back