News   Apr 03, 2020
 8K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 9.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3K     0 

Touch the Water Promenade / River Valley "Seawall"

Does the power plant building need to be saved? Saving heritage buildings is important but people can go overboard about it too. The power plant is really more of an eye sore than a building with architectural significance. Only somebody with lots and lots of time on their hands would head over to check it out. And they'd only do it once. The power plant building is basically useless. Get rid of it and put something like the spa that was talked about there instead.
Its useless because it is sitting empty. If the city is not capable of doing anything with it, which seems clear to me it isn't because they don't seem capable of much in this area or elsewhere, then just sell it to some who can turn it into that spa or something else.

Nothing "needs" to be saved, which is why we have very few heritage buildings left. But we can look to many other places where old industrial buildings in good central locations have been redeveloped into things that enhance the area not detract from it. We are a city of limited imagination with a disposable mentality so I realize many people here don't get this.

Instead of demolishing the power plant (and some of you are so eager to demolish anything with a historical designation), transform it into a hot springs pool that is akin to what is in Radium, then throw in a cafe/restaurant/pub and an indigenous museum/interpretive centre. If the river valley is going to become a national urban park then this initiative makes a ton of sense. Why can't the city realize this?

IMG_1829.jpeg

Something happening at the old pump house. Rampand stairs added.

Oh lord. If we don’t see the value in the unique and amazing structure, we are truly lost as a city. I will chain myself to that building before the tear it down. Mind you with the ongoing neglect, it may just fall down on its own

There was a plan to renovate that as a 'riverside cafe' with a large patio... but not sure where that ended up.

There was a plan to renovate that as a 'riverside cafe' with a large patio... but not sure where that ended up.
That would be great idea for that location, not sure of logistics, but perhaps a link to the river, pier/warf/quay?

We do have to be vigilant that access to the river valley is not limited to those with deep pockets though...

Oh lord. If we don’t see the value in the unique and amazing structure, we are truly lost as a city. I will chain myself to that building before the tear it down. Mind you with the ongoing neglect, it may just fall down on its own
The old court house and the old public library were architectural losses for the city but the power plant isn't architecturally significant and its location doesn't contribute to the vibrancy of a neighborhood. Could be wrong but doesn't it trespass on the traditional burial grounds of indigenous people?

The old court house and the old public library were architectural losses for the city but the power plant isn't architecturally significant and its location doesn't contribute to the vibrancy of a neighborhood. Could be wrong but doesn't it trespass on the traditional burial grounds of indigenous people?
Oh man the old library, what a loss.

True the power plant doesn't currently add anything in it's current state, but it is history and this city and history do not get along, expecting the usual "mould" report shortly, followed by D9 cats...

However, the plant could be something, anything, just not another pile of rubble.

I'd love to see a type of water taxi set up to run from say the power plant to the water plant, to Emily Murphy and other locations, just a thought...

Burial grounds is an interesting question, Epcor (or predecessors) say nope, we've checked, but I've heard the rumours... But that being said, is there anything physical left to honour?

Oh man the old library, what a loss.

True the power plant doesn't currently add anything in it's current state, but it is history and this city and history do not get along, expecting the usual "mould" report shortly, followed by D9 cats...

However, the plant could be something, anything, just not another pile of rubble.

I'd love to see a type of water taxi set up to run from say the power plant to the water plant, to Emily Murphy and other locations, just a thought...

Burial grounds is an interesting question, Epcor (or predecessors) say nope, we've checked, but I've heard the rumours... But that being said, is there anything physical left to honour?
Yes, it doesn't contribute anything in its current state because it is vacant and has been for a long time.

The type of people who want to tear down everything generally have an extremely high bar for architectural significance. In their minds the only good buildings are the ones already torn down long ago which conveniently makes it sort of seem like they care when they really don't. But if that argument doesn't fly, yeah they will be on the look out for mold.

May 2001:

EPCOR workers discovered human remains, Tuesday, at the site of the Rossdale power plant in Edmonton's river valley.

"We found two pieces of a skull from a child about five years old," says Nancy Saxberg, the archeologist supervising excavation work being done at the site. "We found an armbone, a backbone from an adult and two pieces of a pelvis from an infant."

The plant is built on top of an area considered to be the historical site of Fort Edmonton.

Some Native groups believe the Rossdale plant is also the historical site of their ancestors' burial grounds.

They say the discovery of human remains is an indication of that, and they want EPCOR to reconsider plans to double the size of the power plant on the site.

May 2001:

EPCOR workers discovered human remains, Tuesday, at the site of the Rossdale power plant in Edmonton's river valley.

"We found two pieces of a skull from a child about five years old," says Nancy Saxberg, the archeologist supervising excavation work being done at the site. "We found an armbone, a backbone from an adult and two pieces of a pelvis from an infant."

The plant is built on top of an area considered to be the historical site of Fort Edmonton.

Some Native groups believe the Rossdale plant is also the historical site of their ancestors' burial grounds.

They say the discovery of human remains is an indication of that, and they want EPCOR to reconsider plans to double the size of the power plant on the site.
I've always doubted Epcor and predecessors, strange how nobody did anything from that road to the river bank... damn convenient, and well, I've heard rumours.

A proper investigation needs to be done, based on facts (Ie: Camsell) and not on rumours, but so much time has passed...

Then we have this comment: "Some Native groups believe the Rossdale plant..." what about the others, as there have been may tribes around here?

And finally: "want EPCOR to reconsider plans to double the size of the power plant", is the power plant not shut down, are they referring to the water plant? I'm a little vague on this one...

It doesn't add to the vibrancy of the neighbourhood because decade after decade we refuse to turn this area into anything remotely interesting. This would be the prime place to celebrate the history of the area; it's the crossroads of Indigenous and traders/settlers and could have an incredibly interesting story to tell, if executed properly. It's also an architecturally significant building because there is nothing else like it in the province, if in Western Canada. It's also damn photogenic, particularly next to the Walterdale and with the downtown skyline in the background. If Edmonton tears this building down, I will have lost all hope (it sounds dramatic, but it's true)

Other cities have successfully renovated and repurposed old industrial buildings over the last decade while nothing has happened here. They are interesting character buildings with a good amount of space that can be used for various things and usually solidly constructed.

But this is Edmonton where the default it to tear down old things or ignore them. And unfortunately, I don't think the people who currently run our city have enough imagination to do something with this.

Back