News   Apr 03, 2020
 8.1K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 9.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3K     0 

Touch the Water Promenade / River Valley "Seawall"

This a very academic debate because there are no high end condos being built in Rossdale now and there haven't been for many years. Probably the lack of amenities nearby is a big problem and it has become a chicken and egg thing - not much around, not attractive to develop. Not a lot of people around, not much incentive for more commercial development, so not much has happened for decades.

However, I think the other examples of areas with failed or stalled development in Edmonton are not great comparisons. This area is nothing like Boyle street and could be made very appealing with the proper tweaks.

I do agree something that incorporates a strong appeal to tourists/visitors is likely to succeed here more than something else because of the area's limited population. But it does not have to be either/or, adding amenities and commercial development can make the area more appealing to both visitors and people living nearby.
The participation of Rossdale would be important to the success of a cross country ski resort in the river valley. Doubtful that the large grocery or retail chains would be interested in that kind of a development but independent businesses likely would be. May sound like crazy talk but a lot of the trails are already there and a center piece hotel complex shouldn't be that great of a jump. Dedicate the streets into a walkable village like you see at Whistler and other resorts and I'm sure it would be a feather in the city's cap.

This a very academic debate because there are no high end condos being built in Rossdale now and there haven't been for many years. Probably the lack of amenities nearby is a big problem and it has become a chicken and egg thing - not much around, not attractive to develop. Not a lot of people around, not much incentive for more commercial development, so not much has happened for decades.

However, I think the other examples of areas with failed or stalled development in Edmonton are not great comparisons. This area is nothing like Boyle street and could be made very appealing with the proper tweaks.

I do agree something that incorporates a strong appeal to tourists/visitors is likely to succeed here more than something else because of the area's limited population. But it does not have to be either/or, adding amenities and commercial development can make the area more appealing to both visitors and people living nearby.
Merely replying to another posters comment about building high end condo's, just can't allow our river valley become a play thing for the wealthy, no?

IF the power plant area is done properly, it could be a draw, has to be more than restaurants, but winter is a killer...

Back