7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Regional Transit

Regional Transit Services Commission enters next phase
October 16, 2020

The Regional Transit Services Commission (RTSC) Interim Board is working on two primary milestones for 2020; approval from The Government of Alberta to legally form the commission and the selection of a Chief Executive Officer (CEO).

The RTSC Interim Board, made up of elected officials from the City of Beaumont, the Town of Devon, the City of Edmonton, the City of Fort Saskatchewan, the City of Leduc, the City of Spruce Grove, the City of St. Albert, and the Town of Stony Plain, continue to work closely with the Government of Alberta to legally form the Commission. The Board is both encouraged by progress made to date with the application and are looking forward to recruiting the founding CEO.

“The CEO will work with the Board to create a strategic plan to guide the start-up and operations of the Commission. They will build their leadership team and surround themselves with talented leaders who can deliver on the vision and mission of the RTSC,” said St. Albert Councillor and Board Chair Wes Brodhead.

The Interim Board has hired a talent management firm to conduct the CEO search and could begin interviewing candidates as early as December. A final offer will be extended to the successful candidate pending the Province’s approval for the establishment of the Commission as a legal entity. The Board will work closely with the CEO to drive the success of the RTSC, which seeks to bring municipal transit services together for the benefit of one region.

“Public transit is an essential part of the region’s economic growth, connecting people to jobs, education and training, and facilitating worker mobility. Transit also connects people to recreation, healthcare and other essential services, reducing social isolation and contributing to positive health outcomes for riders,” Councillor Brodhead explained.

For more information about the RTSC, and the CEO job posting, please visit Regional Transit Services Commission - St. Albert or Regional Transit Services Commission - Edmonton.

About the RTSC

Accelerating Transit in the Edmonton Metropolitan Region: Building a Regional Transit Services Commission
Accelerating Transit in the Edmonton Metropolitan Region: Building a Regional Transit Services Commission Addendum

via email

From the report addendum:
1602875394154.png

As a Sherwood Park resident, I hope that Strathcona County Transit (who voted against joining the network) can at least have routes that can complement the ones on the above map. For example, the 404 could have service to the University (running along Whyte Avenue and connecting at Bonnie Doon LRT), and the 411 could continue its service downtown.

As a Sherwood Park resident, I hope that Strathcona County Transit (who voted against joining the network) can at least have routes that can complement the ones on the above map. For example, the 404 could have service to the University (running along Whyte Avenue and connecting at Bonnie Doon LRT), and the 411 could continue its service downtown.
other than to state the obvious that it would be easier to achieve those synergies if the county joined the commission, it would be good to see some routes get redesigned so the networks mesh better. it will be interesting to see what happens to transit centers on the east end once this and the valley line open up. the RTSC report i read implied Sherwood park's sprawling nature and lack of a single major area of employment (not everyone works downtown, but commutes to say Fort Sask, Leduc, etc according to their research) didn't justify much more than the commuter service they run now. This is opposed to St. Albert, which is planning for LRT. I wonder if the way the new network moves people around will create single points of focus for the system, or if the current situation of 'a bunch of cars and buses going everywhere' will continue.

Fort Saskatchewan's city council is voting tomorrow on whether or not to remain within the regional transit services commission: http://www.sturgeoncreek.ca/ThePost.../2_Fort_to_vote_on_regional_transit_plan.html

I spoke with Councilor Gordon Harris, who represents the Fort on the interim board, and he had some interesting points:

- Local transit services within the region will be amalgamated into the commission; only ETS will remain outside of its scope for now, due to its size. Around five years after its formation, assuming that the commission launches as planned, the board will vote on whether or not to bring the LRT into the fold or if it should remain under Edmonton's control and budget. I assume that also goes for the rest of ETS, but I could be wrong.

- The interim board is currently in the hiring process for a CEO of the commission, and hope to have one by the year's end.

- Local communities will have a certain amount of time, from when the commission is formed to when it begins service, to finalize their routes to "set the tone." After that, route planning for local and regional connections will be under the purview of a board of planning experts working for the commission.

-At the beginning of its operations, the RTSC will contract out services rather than providing services itself. For instance, it could continue to contract local service in Fort Sask to Pacific Western, and contract regional transit between Fort Sask and Edmonton to ETS.

- The commission will be named something along the lines of: the "Edmonton Metropolitan Regional Transit Services Commission". I forget the exact wording, but I think that's it.

I emailed all of the city councilors to voice my support, and a couple of them had some pretty disappointing responses. Councilor Brian Kelly asked me:

" Do you have any authoritative research that conclusively illustrates the economic and environmental benefits that you allude too? Btw I hope you do because my search has yielded nothing. "

While Councilor Deanna Lennox asked me:

" If you could provide some information about your statements like “Fort Saskatchewan has long needed to expand transit” and that the RTSC will be cheaper and more efficient. Do you have some statistics or data that supports those statements?"

While the second question from Lennox is fair I guess, the first one seemed to be in poor faith. I don't think that a private citizen should be expected to provide statistics in order for their opinion, that local transit is lacking, to be considered valid. Apparently, five councilors are thought to support remaining in the commission, while two councilors want the Fort to leave it. From the responses I got, I think it's safe to say that Kelly and Lennox are the ones most opposed to the commission. Hopefully, come the meeting tomorrow, the Fort's city council does not make the shortsighted decision to leave the commission after spending so much time and resources contributing to its formation. This commission will make communities outside of Edmonton much more attractive to newcomers, and leaving it will only isolate the community in my opinion.

Last edited:
seeing this question coming up constantly really makes me wonder what kind of long-term plans these municipalities have for their future. how do they plan to grow? do they plan to grow? do they expect some mythical oil boom to come in and send us back into some 1975-era boom era again, negating the need for any strategic planning? What future are these leaders carving out?
I'm getting vague and cynical (and lumping Fort Saskatchewan with Sherwood Park, which is a mean and unfair grouping on my part) but like, serisously, do these councils understand that their employment base, and a lot of their liveability, comes from efficient connectivity with the region, most importantly Edmonton itself. efficient transit is a necessity; so is cooperative planning in general. the Capital Region will fail if we can't work together. we're a big city; by some counts (notably the 2016 federal census) indicate the Edmonton CMA will leapfrog Ottawa and Calgary to be Canada's 4th-biggest CMA by 2021. we need to start actin like a big city so we don't squander this momentum; and that means smaller municipalities need to recognize the full value of cooperation.
sorry for the rant. I hope Ft Sask stays on with the transit commission, i think it will help hugely in the long-term. there's lots of rural towns/cities in alberta that work well with their big neighbours and stay true to their rural roots; like Okotoks and High River. it's not the end of Ft Sask to join up with Edmonton to help growth.

Regional cooperation has always seemed to be a series of on-again, off-again relationships. For most of the time I lived in St. Albert, it's Council would never admit any dependency on Edmonton or the region. While that relationship has at least seemingly turned around in the last 5 or so years, now other players seem to want to assert a misguided sense of independence.

From my experience, administration usually has a decent grasp of the long-term trends and requirements, but they can be naturally protective of their organizations and have to operate based on the whims of regularly changing Councils. Typically the elected layer is where good plans and ideas fall apart. Councilors are elected, that's it - that's their only qualification. Some are fine, but many start with only a very cursory view of municipal government, municipal finances, and regional/long-term planning. It doesn't help that most of them know they will likely be long gone before most of these plans come to fruition. Smaller centers seem to be particularly susceptible to very uninformed councilors getting in, but they are also much closer to their constituents. I think this sense of being in over their head leads a lot of them to be inclined to shut down plans, focus tightly on local community needs and autonomy, and focus on immediate cost containment over long-term value as a 'safe' approach to governance.

In this interesting case, Strathcona has likely stayed out of the commission because they currently have far higher transit service levels (and way more expensive) than they are likely to receive through the commission. Fort Saskatchewan is basically the opposite and some councilors are undoubtedly concerned about costs escalating from their low current levels, even if it will mean higher service levels.

In any case, I think the commission is a good structure simply because it takes decisions about these regionally critical infrastructures outside of the political cycle, and more in to the administrative realm to deliver a well-balanced, well-planned regional structure. The trade-off is a lower level of individual community autonomy and a reduction of pure 'democracy' (taxation without representation, etc.), and a higher risk of un-scrutinized beaurocracy run amok.

Last edited:

Back