News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Regional Transit

I don't know @archited . I think that what cities like Winnipeg are doing, with having a BRT corridor first and then having the possibility of a future LRT conversion is actually pretty smart:).

But I mean, with this York Regions BRT, I'm guessing that's not gonna happen...

It is one of those plans @Platinum107 that looks appealing on paper, but doesn't meet projected use in reality except possibly at rush hour. Los Angeles is now thinking to decommission their BRT routes for that very reason. The feel is very utilitarian and not very imaginative. LRT is a step up, and there are other systems that are even superior to that.

I had a new idea for an LRT line that would be almost like a Relief Line, for the far distant future. Most of it would be built as a subway and would be a third line to utilize the current underground section under Jasper Ave. It would somehow cross the river near/in the Riverdale neighbourhood (possibly one of the most challenging aspects of the line) to have a direct connection to Forest Heights, Capilano and Sherwood Park. Then going west, it would continue under Jasper after Corona Station and continue underground up 124 Street, and across 111 Ave to 142 Street. Lots of opportunity for infill in the Westmount area, and obviously the Telus World of Science is going to be one of the few major attractions in Edmonton not close to an LRT station at full built out. I might see it evenutally being built out further west to the Big Lake neighbourhoods and maybe a brand new TOD/Town Centre/High Density Node somewhere in the west end. Unsure about that part still. But still fun to think about.

What do you guys think?
rail-network-edmonton-v2.png

It can work though. If you continue having a 5-minute peak period frequency for all lines, that's a train every 1 minute and 40 seconds downtown. That seems like a reasonable spacing.

They could also very well automate the trains in the downtown section with moving blocks, and then once out of the tunnels the drivers take over.

I suspect all lines will be automated and centrally controlled in the very near future, particularly with new, more advanced propulsion systems.

Possibly. Public level crossings throws a wrench in automation though... But it's not completely out of the question.

@archited A most excellent proposal for multiple reasons. From efficiency to aesthetics the concept is very bold.
I love the historical nod to the street car and your idea of "enjoying the ride". I hope this materializes.

Had you considered the Blue line going West on Jasper Ave and up 124th terminating on 105ave, or do you feel that is LRT territory?
I really like the green and yellow plans. Thank you for all your exceptional work!

I am also a supporter of the Gondola concept (not down White ave though) and as proposed, the Gondola's route would work well with your ERRS extensions.

I suspect all lines will be automated and centrally controlled in the very near future, particularly with new, more advanced propulsion systems.

If very near future is greater than ten years maybe. . .

Currently they cannot figure out how to get the very basic current signalling system working, I do not imagine they will be automating any time soon.

True, @Reecemartin, but when I was referring to advanced propulsion systems I wasn't thinking of the current LRT mode which is now half a century old.

Maybe someone can convince Elon to donate a few billion here. If only we could attract Apple - we do have a strong computer engineering department at the U of A after all. They are in Vancouver though. I suspect our winters don't make it attractive for outside established companies to setup here. Can't say I blame them from an outsider perspective.

Back