News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Regional Transit

@westcoastjos I wouldn't rely on Musk for anything related to civic transportation. It's an area he really doesn't understand and refuses to engage with actual experts on.

Believe it or not, Apple does have a small office in the region. They don't really advertise the fact, though.

When it comes to where companies set up shop, weather has almost nothing to do with those decisions.

I am having a very hard time containing myself (but I have to). We are bringing 2 billion-dollar ventures to Edmonton (3rd year projected cap in each case) this year -- one in the high-tech vein that will ultimately compare to the big boys (Amazon and Google) and one in the tourism vein. I can't say any more just yet. Edmonton will be world class in both technology and tourism.... don't tell anyone ;)

@westcoastjos I wouldn't rely on Musk for anything related to civic transportation. It's an area he really doesn't understand and refuses to engage with actual experts on.

Believe it or not, Apple does have a small office in the region. They don't really advertise the fact, though.

When it comes to where companies set up shop, weather has almost nothing to do with those decisions.
Depending on the company, weather can play a bigger role. Specifically, in industries where employees are able to be choosy. An Amazon warehouse isn't the same as some of the other arms of Amazon. Attracting people to work for you can be tough in some industries and Edmonton doesn't always fare the best relative to other nearby cities. Pay only goes so far before other factors come into play. In sectors where people are already being paid extremely well, weather and social factors are definitely contributing factors as to whether a company chooses to set up shop. Bottom line is that the type of company and type of employee being hired dynamically change the considering factors.

Okay, so I worked a bit more on my fantasy map tonight. I've added almost everything north of the river, including a heavy rail network.

I envision the heavy rail lines to be similar to S-Bahn networks in Germany or the Overground in London where the trains are frequent and efficient, with stations serving neighbourhoods of Edmonton that don't really have good LRT access. The biggest obstacle of the heavy rail network would be in the city centre, where I envision a tunneled portion connecting the main station at 97 Street (Royal Alberta Museum) to the lines heading west and south. The tunnel would utilize the 105 Avenue right of way and Railtown Park. In a perfect world, 105 Avenue streetscaping could be accomplished at the same time as a cut-and-cover tunnel, but I know the heavy rail portion of my network is not going to be built in the short-term. The tunnel would not have to built on day 1. Trains coming from Stony Plain and Morinville could head through a bypass track at Walker Yard and make a sharp right turn near Belvedere to head south into downtown. The lines from the south could terminate at Grandin. Not ideal, but it could work in the short-medium term.

VIA Rail would be accommodated at the Royal Alberta Museum station (this station would probably be named something special as it will be a main hub for different modes, maybe after a former mayor?). With the tunnel under 105 Avenue, they could continue west without having to back up to the mainline. The current VIA Station would be converted into a new neighbourhood station servicing Blatchford and Prince Charles. I would hope that by the time this network becomes anything close to reality, VIA Rail would establish frequent intercity services between Edmonton and Calgary. These trains could start downtown and then use the tunnel to head south across the High Level Bridge.

The other big addition is the Central Line (brown). This line may be less viable than the Relief Line (yellow), especially being so close to the Metro Line for a good portion. This line would follow 97 Street all the way up to the Edmonton Garrison, servicing neighbourhoods like Norwood, Alberta Avenue, and Northgate along the way. Downtown, it could run along 97 Street south to 103A Ave, then skirting across to 99 Street, ending just north of the Valley and Circle Lines. This would allow the line to have access to the Churchill hub.

So there you go! Let me know what you think, and hopefully next time I'll have the network pretty much built out.

rail-network-edmonton-v2.png

Last edited:
Here's the final version. Sorry for it being such a big image, I'm not very skilled at making these maps. The biggest revision to this map from previous ones is the Circle Line. From downtown, it heads down 107 Street past the Legislature and into Rossdale. It then crosses the river west of Walterdale Bridge and heads up Walterdale Hill and down 109 Street.

rail-network-edmonton-v2.png

I am having a very hard time containing myself (but I have to). We are bringing 2 billion-dollar ventures to Edmonton (3rd year projected cap in each case) this year -- one in the high-tech vein that will ultimately compare to the big boys (Amazon and Google) and one in the tourism vein. I can't say any more just yet. Edmonton will be world class in both technology and tourism.... don't tell anyone ;)

Sorry, but I never really asked your background that gives you all the insight? Do you work at the city or with a developer?

This tech thing has me very interested, I’ll be graduating with a computer science degree in a little more than a year and am considering moving to Edmonton, there doesn’t seem to be a boat load of tech jobs so this seems interesting.

This tech thing has me very interested, I’ll be graduating with a computer science degree in a little more than a year and am considering moving to Edmonton, there doesn’t seem to be a boat load of tech jobs so this seems interesting.

Not a boat load, but I'd say keep watching. Lots of expansions coming. If you need some leads, start following the Taproot Tech Roundups (disclosure: the writer who is also a co-founder of Taproot is a friend and former colleague)

@Reecemartin -- we will be hiring a few dozen programmers, coders, graphic designers and more this year within the next several months for the Edmonton operation. Our expansion plans will amp up from there for next year and the year after. You can email me at clouds@gotsky.com if you are interested.

Back