News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Miscellaneous

Only in Edmonton do we celebrate building a model of a building like this that is being torn down. A little bit lost for words actually.

'"It's going to be amazing to keep the memory of the building alive," Ohki told CBC News on Monday.'

Classic CoE admin. There are good folks actively (and very publicly) trying to save the building, and they sneakily contract the demolition to seal its fate.

Some shots of the new Inglewood Supportive Housing from a few days ago.

Looking NW:
20220521_181435.jpg

Looking NE:
20220521_181508.jpg

View attachment 402941

I hope they don’t paint the rest of the green panels and leave the brick alone as well.

They had a couple of the green parts painted a darker shade of green over the winter when they had a test section in place. I thought it looked better because it better matched the black trim and window framing. If they go that route then I think it will be fine, but anything grey or black will ruin it IMO

Last edited:

Be the 4th summer without the wading pools - 3 more to go I guess. I kinda miss those in the summer.
I been waiting for this article to come out. Im glad they’re going to keep the fountain and reflecting pool. However sad (yet not surprised) that they plan to bulldoze the terrace pool. I hope their options for replacement are inclusive and for all ages.

They had a couple of the green parts painted a darker shade of green over the winter when they had a test section in place. I thought it looked better because it better matched the tone of the black trim and window framing. If they go that route then I think it will be fine, but anything grey or black will ruin it IMO
Interesting, I was wondering before if it was my imagination that some of the green seemed darker. I agree, the darker shade goes better with the black trim and window framing.

Classic CoE admin. There are good folks actively (and very publicly) trying to save the building, and they sneakily contract the demolition to seal its fate.
How is this "classic"?

That they are always "sneaky"? I don't think so, I think the City is generally pretty transparent about things (sometimes too much so)

That they are always "demolishing historical buildings"? Again, I don't think so? Certainly private land owners seem to be a whole lot worse in this area than the city government.

That they are doing something contrary to a public campaign? Again, how is this "classic"? City is pretty onboard with a lot of public campaigns.

To an observer of the city administration, this just seems like a hollow accusation that detracts from your important point about saving this unique structure.

How is this "classic"?

That they are always "sneaky"? I don't think so, I think the City is generally pretty transparent about things (sometimes too much so)

That they are always "demolishing historical buildings"? Again, I don't think so? Certainly private land owners seem to be a whole lot worse in this area than the city government.

That they are doing something contrary to a public campaign? Again, how is this "classic"? City is pretty onboard with a lot of public campaigns.

To an observer of the city administration, this just seems like a hollow accusation that detracts from your important point about saving this unique structure.
Blame the former private owner of the building that owned it prior to 2015, at which point it was already in very poor shape. The COE doesn't have infinite cash to fix problems cause by negligent land owners, but thankfully puts what limited resources it has towards more substantial rehabilitation projects, like the Ortona Armoury, Edmonton Ironworks, Yorath House, and heritage houses on 112 Street @ 99 Avenue.

At times, various parts of the city government seem to work at cross purposes. Perhaps some success on 112 and 99 Ave, but a block north most of the older houses have been torn down over the last few years and there are now a bunch of empty lots.

@thommyjo , I don't believe that it's been posted before. If that's the case, good find 👍

TOD density low/mid rise brings a smile to my face. Urban townhomes and urban style streetscape sounds great.
And it sounds like a plan this newish land developer can get done and relatively fast. Would be great.
All infrastructure being in place should help lots/parcels get sold and developed much faster.
I like their vision.
Clareview LRT with parking and the rec centre and malls et al, could spur this area to become our most dense burb within the ringroad?
I can support their vision for our burbs "to bring Toronto and Vancouver style urban villages to Edmonton, there is always a first time.

It sounds pretty great for sure, but I hope that there is a good connection between the land and the station (because it looks like there isn't right now). Also the older projects around the station are pretty garbage when it comes to encouraging transit use considering their classic North American suburban style along with the adjacent strip mall 😒 So I hope that this one will actually attempt to be "transit-oriented"

At times, various parts of the city government seem to work at cross purposes. Perhaps some success on 112 and 99 Ave, but a block north most of the older houses have been torn down over the last few years and there are now a bunch of empty lots.
Those houses to the north were never City-owned, Westrich purchased them from the previous owners to demolish and construct their Grandin 4 project.

Back