News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Miscellaneous

New cladding at the old freecloud record store at 101 Street and 108 Ave. Unique and interesting look.

20210725_112601.jpg20210725_112922.jpg

I saw a post from freecloud that said this is the first renovation in 93 years. Does anyone know the history of this building?

The top part is ok. The funny thing is that they didn't cheap out on the material. I remember watching as I went by the tile setters we're filling in the grout so to speak and I was saying to myself what in the wide world are they doing. With the amount of work that has gone into this building I am pretty sure that this was designed and there is a set plan for why the tiles were done like that. I really would love to know what the architect or designer of this building renovation wanted to accomplish.

New cladding at the old freecloud record store at 101 Street and 108 Ave. Unique and interesting look.

View attachment 337398View attachment 337399

I saw a post from freecloud that said this is the first renovation in 93 years. Does anyone know the history of this building?
I really love the tiles on this building! I can't wait to see the end result when they're all done.

I kind of like it. Something different. I know it may not meet the standards of some of the taste police who want everything in muted greys. Live a little!

Maybe it is because of our climate, but I notice we have very little exterior tile even compared to other places in Canada and the US.

The top part is ok. The funny thing is that they didn't cheap out on the material. I remember watching as I went by the tile setters we're filling in the grout so to speak and I was saying to myself what in the wide world are they doing. With the amount of work that has gone into this building I am pretty sure that this was designed and there is a set plan for why the tiles were done like that. I really would love to know what the architect or designer of this building renovation wanted to accomplish.
Definitely a polarizing design. Found this on the avid architecture website that might help explain: https://www.avidarch.ca/work-portfolio/freecloud-records/

Definitely a polarizing design. Found this on the avid architecture website that might help explain: https://www.avidarch.ca/work-portfolio/freecloud-records/
Thanks for posting your pictures above and the Avid website Romanov. I didn't really like it, but now I actually dig it. Hopefully, should look much better with the gold detail and all complete. Much improvement over what was

1627443979114.png
1627445527007.png
Romanov
avidarch.ca

1627444983245.png

the crappy attempt at a maps screenshot for the record, if that building could talk eh, it would be singin' da blues man.

In my opinion architecture should be of its time and a faux art deco revival thing like this will not look good in 10 years time. On the flipside a record store can take risks and try to be fun with the design as part of their branding and looks like a big improvement to the area. I am on the fence on this one.

Back