News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Miscellaneous

Slightly less concerned about the parkade with Beljan developing this.

Major Development Permit
Reference Id:Job No 401626164-002
Description:To demolish a Veterinary Services building, and construct a Mixed Commercial Use building (Main Floor - General Retail Stores and Specialty Food Services, Second Floor - Health Service).
Plan B4 Blk 11 Lots 141-142
Applicant:BELJAN DEVELOPMENT MANAGEMENT
Create Date:2021/07/06
Neighbourhood:OLIVER
As you should be:

401636904 7-20-2021 3-50-43 PM.png

Alberta ENT will remain the tenant on the second floor.

Some activity on Alberta Ave:

Permit Type
Major Development Permit
Permit Class
Class B
Permit Date
Jul 09, 2021
Status
Approved
Description of Development
To construct a General Retail Stores, Professional, Financial, and Office Support Services, Restaurant (37.1 sq.m. public space), and Specialty Food Services (37.1 sq.m. public space) building.
Address
9413 - 118 AVENUE NW
A one storey, 3-bay commercial building. Nothing special but will add some modernity and freshness to that part of the Avenue.

I don't know about anyone else but I really like this design. Just the fact that the parking lot will be gone in front of the building and that there will be CRU's to activate the street life for pedestrians, makes me quite happy.
It's a Beljan project, of course it's good! @cmd uw you guys nailed another one!

I am starting to get a little concerned over the replacement of 3bdrm townhouses that are within reach to more folks by 1-2 bdrm condos.
Why are there not more 3bdrms? I understand market forces and affordable homes take away demand for 3bdrm condos, but it feels like anything more than 2bdrms in the core is a super expensive penthouse. Why not just a 2bedroom with another bedroom?? Is it due to window rules making floorplans awkward?

We don't have a very large market for 3bdrms ie. children's room or a more upscale unit with a den/bdrm for a professional couple.

Even in Toronto they repealed the requirement for mandated 3bdrms awhile ago.

You get into a predicament that the unit becomes in the range of a townhouse/rowhouse/duplex and those often are more appealing.

We don't have a very large market for 3bdrms ie. children's room or a more upscale unit with a den/bdrm for a professional couple.

You get into a predicament that the unit becomes in the range of a townhouse/rowhouse/duplex and those often are more appealing.
Each to his own, but there's no force on Earth that would make me prefer living in a a house (whatever its nature) than in a condo.
Even if I did want kids (which I don't) I would NEVER, ever, E-V-E-R buy a house. Too much trouble and I frankly don't understand what's the hype over them all about.
But I do want a 3 bed condo when I decide to buy something, to have a guest room, an office and all of that shebang. And I know that there is a market out there for people who end up buying townhomes/rowhouses/duplexes out of need, not preference.

Or is there just no demand for 3 bedrooms in the core because they are too expensive for families?

I just having trouble believing that it's an issue of people not wanting to live in 3 bedroom units in the core, and more an issue of not being able to.

Especially when you see the issue happening in Toronto and Vancouver. Condos are the only type of housing that most families can afford, and yet there are barely any 3 beds being built there either. People in those cities likely aren't buying 2 beds because they only want one kid, but because they can't afford the space for more.

I suspect similar forces play a role in Edmonton. If you want a bigger family, it's cheaper to go to the burbs and buy a TH than it is to buy a 3 bed "luxury" condo. Edmonton just has that option whereas people in those other cities don't really, unless you're moving 1.5hrs+ away from the core.

Last edited:
Or is there just no demand for 3 bedrooms in the core because they are too expensive for families?

I just having trouble believing that it's an issue of people not wanting to live in 3 bedroom units in the core, and more an issue of not being able to.

Especially when you see the issue happening in Toronto and Vancouver. Condos are the only type of housing that most families can afford, and yet there are barely any 3 beds being built there either. People in those cities likely aren't buying 2 beds because they only want one kid, but because they can't afford the space for more.

I suspect similar forces play a role in Edmonton. If you want a bigger family, it's cheaper to go to the burbs and buy a TH than it is to buy a 3 bed "luxury" condo. Edmonton just has that option whereas people in those other cities don't really, unless you're moving 1.5hrs+ away from the core.
Thats my point though. If we can build 2bdrms for 400-550k in New projects, would a 3bdrm have to cost more than 500-600?

Which is still high for many, but isn't crazy compared to what many families with 2 kids pay for houses.

Especially a building with some family oriented amenities, thatd be a good deal. In Vancouver they have lots with playgrounds on the roof, daycare in the base, etc. Those are huge perks that a house buyer would never get to the same degree.

I know my wife and I want to buy a 3bdrm to raise 2 kids in. Currently have a 4bdrm house with a basement suite we are using to build equity and rental income so a 3bedroom is affordable when the day comes. Hoping something in the 120-124st Oliver area or the new warehouse district park can be a match in 5ish years!

It’s rather a poor design period. Underground parking should be required here.
What don't you like about the design? Why does it need underground parking in the most walkable part of the city (and on a street that has parking capacity)?

Value proposition, neighbourhood schools, friends and logistics.

Back