News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Miscellaneous

I always imagine something that may me shorter, that doesn`t mess up too much with the scale of the promenade and the two buildings beside the lot (my own and Jasper House) which are, somewhat, historical. I'd settle for something 20~ish stories high, all timber (would be the tallest timber frame building on the planet, beating this one https://www.architecturaldigest.com/story/worlds-tallest-timber-framed-building-finally-opens-doors), with some sexy curves (thing Doug Cardinal) or the super interesting Pixel Facade concept, from Oliver Thomas.

Not that I wouldn`t be happy if they decided to build something at least as tall as The Pearl, but I don`t believe height and impact are, necessarily, the same. We can have an elegant, impactful landmark building that isn't 100m or more, even though a 20~ish stories building could possible break the barrier, with a big podium that integrates and connects Jasper Ave and the Victoria Promenade, could break the 100m barrier.

and @Kosy123 I'd say my "proposal" for the site would end up achieving what you want, easily. A 100m tall timber highrise would be the envy of NYC or London, and to be honest, I think that would stick more into Calgary`s bottocks than a 250m tower 🤣🤣🤣
A 100m timber high-rise with a bitumen pipeline podium, the best of both worlds!

Since we've mainly got box here, something phallic might be, fitting? And shiny with some curves...and sure a tad bit woody.
A little over 120m+ is great, so too would be short and sweet (if it can keep a beat), but a super tall would be a goody.
note to self, delete

Last edited:
@Kaizen

1609912587198.png

wot

It always annoyed me seeing that parking lot with a prime river valley view and right on the corner of Victoria Promenade. That location deserves a super cool tower, definitely one that is over 100m at least! I think it'd be cool (if they are actually going to build something here) to make the tower curve along with the road leading onto the promenade, terraces and natural balconies giving a super panoramic view of the river valley from one of its best views if i say so myself. It has the potential to be something spectacular for our skyline, if it's actually happening that is 🥴
Yes, I used to live near there many years ago and thought the same thing. A great view and location ... and it is a parking lot. It is a bit of a waste of such a nice spot. Something nice and with a curve would be good for that spot.

Edmonton EXPO Centre Rehabilitation​

The proposed project will see the Edmonton EXPO Centre rehabilitated to be able to accommodate events in the future.
Municipality:Edmonton
Sector:Tourism / Recreation
Type:Event Space
Schedule:Commencing 2021
Estimated Cost:$35.0M
Stage:Proposed
Developer:City of Edmonton

Going back to that Jasper Ave parking lot discussion, I think it's be interesting if they could do something like the Bellamy Tower proposal in that spot, with it being taller, having a mixed-use podium and somehow incorporating nature terraces thought the height of the structure, maybe in the breaks in between the "blocks" of 3 units. Me thinks that would be pretty neat :)

Going back to that Jasper Ave parking lot discussion, I think it's be interesting if they could do something like the Bellamy Tower proposal in that spot, with it being taller, having a mixed-use podium and somehow incorporating nature terraces thought the height of the structure, maybe in the breaks in between the "blocks" of 3 units. Me thinks that would be pretty neat :)
Mixed use podiums are a MUST there! but it needs to be well done, small CRUs for smaller business, etc... anything that will prevent a 7-Eleven or a Tim Hortons from taking up half of the podium

Muttard Conservatory opening soon

Muttart Conservatory ready to reopen after $13.3-million revamp, but delayed due to COVID-19 restrictions​

Author of the article: Dustin Cook, Publishing date: Jan 10, 2021, • Last Updated 9 hours ago • 2 minute read
The Muttart Conservatory, in Edmonton Friday Jan. 8, 2021. The Muttart Conservatory rehabilitation project has been completed, but the re-opening has been delayed. Photo by David Bloom

PHOTO BY DAVID BLOOM DAVID BLOOM /David Bloom/Postmedia

The Garneau (former St. Joseph's Hospital) slated for some streetscape upgrades:

Description: To construct exterior alterations to an existing building and the Site (facade and streetscape upgrades and improvements).
Permit date: January 8, 2021
Type: Development Permit
Subtype: Major Development Permit
Category: N/A
Class: Class B
Address: 10704 - 82 AVENUE NW
Neighbourhood: GARNEAU
Zoning: DC1,DC1

Back