News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Miscellaneous

Adren's Variety Food Mart apparently getting replaced? Chuffed to see it will be mixed-use!

Description: To demolish an existing commercial building and construct a 3 storey mixed use building, with a General Retail Store and a Restaurant (74m2 of Public Space) on the main floor, and 18 units of Multi-unit Housing (1 dwelling on the Main Floor facing the rear, 9 dwellings on the Second Floor, and 8 dwellings with loft on the Third Floor), with a renewable energy device (solar panels) and amenity area on the roof.
Permit date: December 22, 2020
Type: Development Permit
Subtype: Major Development Permit
Category: N/A
Class: Class B
Address: 11361 - 95 STREET NW
Neighbourhood: ALBERTA AVENUE
Zoning: CB1

This is what it looks like currently:
1608744804784.png

Love the styling of the awning sign, hope they incorporate that assuming Arden's will be reopening in the same spot?

^^^^ wow -- this one takes me back. As a child -- I'm talking like 4 -- 6 years old -- my mother used to take me to Arden's to let me pick out model Revel plastic kits. The fact that they are still there absolutely amazes me -- talk about a mom-and-pop store that survived to the present day! It was a general store then and it looks like it essentially still is. I hope that it is the family that is behind the new development.

Great to see something new and fresh going up on this stretch of 95 street.
In recent years Otto's has opened across the street, a newer rental building has gone up across 95 street, and just past 111 Ave mid - block a new medical building (which quite nice looking) was erected a year or 2 ago.
Hopefully this momentum keeps building for this area. Also, TELUS fiber is now in the area, which should also make it easier for businesses to operate and set-up in the area going forward

And FIVE FREAKING BLOCKS FROM ME!!! 😍😍

May I say that their Frozen Hot Chocolate is nearly as delicious as that as Serendipity in Manhattan and has become my one new favourite thing this month during the pandemic... If I could replace my blood with it, I probably would. Then again I'd be dead. But #worthit Just keep me preserved at -15c in a snap shut container at their Jasper Avenue location opposite to where I was born at Edmonton General like some dairy-mad Lenin or Jasper Beardley at the Kwik-E-Mart! PS, Please alter my pants as fashion dictates...

Does anyone else think it would be nice to see streetcars once again glide down 95th street? That used to be THE main North-South transit corridor between downtown and The Avenue... Could be a good way to also calm traffic concerns in Chinatown and Little Italy at the same time too! I'd love to see a trial line set up running from 95th and 118th avenue to Jasper and 100 St and Central Station...

Does anyone else think it would be nice to see streetcars once again glide down 95th street? That used to be THE main North-South transit corridor between downtown and The Avenue... Could be a good way to also calm traffic concerns in Chinatown and Little Italy at the same time too! I'd love to see a trial line set up running from 95th and 118th avenue to Jasper and 100 St and Central Station...
I would pay good money to see this happen. To be fair, I think streetcars could be a great way to revitalize our downtown and other historical areas.

Adren's Variety Food Mart apparently getting replaced? Chuffed to see it will be mixed-use!

Description: To demolish an existing commercial building and construct a 3 storey mixed use building, with a General Retail Store and a Restaurant (74m2 of Public Space) on the main floor, and 18 units of Multi-unit Housing (1 dwelling on the Main Floor facing the rear, 9 dwellings on the Second Floor, and 8 dwellings with loft on the Third Floor), with a renewable energy device (solar panels) and amenity area on the roof.
Permit date: December 22, 2020
Class: Class B
Address: 11361 - 95 STREET NW
Neighbourhood: ALBERTA AVENUE
Zoning: CB1

This is what it looks like currently:
View attachment 290744

Love the styling of the awning sign, hope they incorporate that assuming Arden's will be reopening in the same spot?

I am very happy we are seeing some continued redevelopment happening on 95th, especially since Arden's is less than a 10 minute walk from my place. There are two levels of loft/studio apartments and two CRUs (store and restaurant) on the main floor, with a separate access to the apartments upstairs. Below are two renderings of the new building:

East facade:
952.png

West (95 St) facade:
951.png

^^^^Why stop at 100 street. Running the tram down 95 street then down Jasper to 121 street then all the way to Blatchford would make a perfect route for redevelopment. The right of way still exists through the underutilized industrial area adjacent perfect for redevelopment.
Catenary need not be installed down Jasper if they utilize the latest technology of battery powered LRVs that can run up to 90% of their journey before having to recharge.

I am very happy we are seeing some continued redevelopment happening on 95th, especially since Arden's is less than a 10 minute walk from my place. There are two levels of loft/studio apartments and two CRUs (store and restaurant) on the main floor, with a separate access to the apartments upstairs. Below are two renderings of the new building:

East facade:
View attachment 290901

West (95 St) facade:
View attachment 290902

The design is a bit yikes based on these, but ✔ urban edges, ✔ mixed use commercial and residential, and ✔ solar panels. Would have been nice to put the parking semi-below grade with additional housing units built above, though.

Looks like they will be demolishing Westwood Garage. NAIT owns it and will likely want to build something new on the site.
Description: To Demolish an Institutional Building
Permit date: December 30, 2020
Class: Class A
Address: 11840 - 106A STREET NW
Neighbourhood: BLATCHFORD AREA
Zoning: PU

Last edited:

Back