News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Miscellaneous

Some drilling took place this afternoon in the Jasper House parking lot on 121 Street & Jasper Ave.

Core samples being taken perhaps?
It would be awesome to see that lot developed. Is there a more prime lot on Jasper Ave to develop than this one?

20210105_140125.jpg
20210105_140243.jpg

I sure hope so. I love the tower's authentic mid-century modernist design HOWEVER it's a prime site that demands a larger nay I say ICONIC tower...
My inner idealistic non-realistic Cities Skylines brain is imagining a tall 250 m tower that would make Calgary jealous in this spot, but it's probably not gonna happen :(

The drilling rig is big enough and certainly portends earth sample cores which, in turn, portend deep footings for a high-rise structure. Great river valley view potential here suggesting a high high-rise that is higher than the high-rises surrounding. I don't care so much about height as I do well-defined architecture (that covers my HIGH hopes).

I'll be watching closely and, possibly, will ask around a bit, as it was happening RIGHT IN FRONT OF MY WINDOW! 🤣🤣🤣
Not gonna lie, every single time I look outside, I just dream of that parking lot getting developed. Doesn't even need to be a really tall building, just something nice, well integrated with the surroundings and that helps activate the Jasper Ave side of the intersection (same hope I have for the CNB Tower).

It always annoyed me seeing that parking lot with a prime river valley view and right on the corner of Victoria Promenade. That location deserves a super cool tower, definitely one that is over 100m at least! I think it'd be cool (if they are actually going to build something here) to make the tower curve along with the road leading onto the promenade, terraces and natural balconies giving a super panoramic view of the river valley from one of its best views if i say so myself. It has the potential to be something spectacular for our skyline, if it's actually happening that is 🥴

It always annoyed me seeing that parking lot with a prime river valley view and right on the corner of Victoria Promenade. That location deserves a super cool tower, definitely one that is over 100m at least! I think it'd be cool (if they are actually going to build something here) to make the tower curve along with the road leading onto the promenade, terraces and natural balconies giving a super panoramic view of the river valley from one of its best views if i say so myself. It has the potential to be something spectacular for our skyline, if it's actually happening that is 🥴
I always imagine something that may me shorter, that doesn`t mess up too much with the scale of the promenade and the two buildings beside the lot (my own and Jasper House) which are, somewhat, historical. I'd settle for something 20~ish stories high, all timber (would be the tallest timber frame building on the planet, beating this one https://www.architecturaldigest.com/story/worlds-tallest-timber-framed-building-finally-opens-doors), with some sexy curves (thing Doug Cardinal) or the super interesting Pixel Facade concept, from Oliver Thomas.

Not that I wouldn`t be happy if they decided to build something at least as tall as The Pearl, but I don`t believe height and impact are, necessarily, the same. We can have an elegant, impactful landmark building that isn't 100m or more, even though a 20~ish stories building could possible break the barrier, with a big podium that integrates and connects Jasper Ave and the Victoria Promenade, could break the 100m barrier.

and @Kosy123 I'd say my "proposal" for the site would end up achieving what you want, easily. A 100m tall timber highrise would be the envy of NYC or London, and to be honest, I think that would stick more into Calgary`s bottocks than a 250m tower 🤣🤣🤣

Hope it's something to complement the building already there, Jasper House is a well kept mid century modern building that should stay.
Me too. Both the Jasper House and the Bristol Tower are prime examples of well kept mid-century architecture that I honestly believe are worth preserving.

Back