News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.7K     0 

Miscellaneous

Reference ID:Job No 472060098-002
Description:To construct exterior and interior alterations to a Hotel building (fire restoration)
Plan 5474MC Lots A,B,C
Applicant:BELFOR PROPERTY RESTORATION
Create Date:2023-05-11T13:34:27Z
Neighbourhood:DOWNTOWN

I walked through the funicular yesterday and I could see the scorched land underneath the Courtyard By Marriott.

Ok, I'm conflicted on this one.

A rezoning proposal is going to council May 30 to allow a mid-rise development in Glenora along the path of the LRT on Stony Plain Road and 136 St. It's a good location for more density, and generally I support increased density, particularly in central areas.

But yet again, a home on Edmonton's Inventory of Historic Resources is threatened with demolition. Staff say the Mayhew Residence "possesses heritage value as an early and well preserved example of the homes built during the Post‐war era in south Glenora."

View attachment 477209

In their report, staff say, essentially, the benefits outweigh the cost of a potentially historic home falling to the wrecking ball. The developer doesn't want to keep it, so, sayonara, I guess.
It’s certainly unfortunate, however we do have many lovely post-war bungalows that don’t happen to be right along main thoroughfares.

Land assembly sale across from Bonnie Doon
EE20C2D5-FAE9-48CC-A4F2-A5981CDB311B.jpeg

Good spot for some mid-rise rentals
Wonder who owns the older ones between the two on the other side of Bonnie Doon mall on the south side of Whyte. Would be nice if that gap was developed. One was recently renovated, while the most west one is going to implode one of these days.

Last edited:
Wonder who owns the older ones between the two on the other side of Bonnie Doon on the south side of Whyte. Would be nice if that gap was developed. One was recently renovated, while the most west one is going to implode one of these days.

Not too sure which ones you're referring to, especially when you say "other side of Bonnie Doon"

Does anyone have any info on what is being planned for Sunwapta Centre? There is another massive CRU being planned for the SW corner of the site but nothing on the Cameron Dev site or the YEG Slim Maps.

Possibilities: Ikea, Cabela's, Bass Pro Shop, another Costco (just joshing but there is a Costco Liquor and Gas Bar going in to two of the new CRUs)
Project Information [Updated Link]

Last edited:
Cabelas might work. But there is one 15 min down the Henday. Probably not IKEA. They have no plans locally right now. ( I had recently talked with an old Contact there).

So that dead project in St Albert on St Anne seems to have come back to life. There is an Excavator and Bobcat on the site. Looks like they are going to demo the Building next door. There is a lot of equipment around since the sanitary line is being replace on St Anne but this equipment is in the back in the fenced area.

And one last one. End of an era. out with the old. St Alberts Paul Kane High School demoing the old. The new is to the left.

The the Parking lot work is part of the 14 Million Fountain Park Pool Renovation.
Paul Kane.jpg

Back