News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Miscellaneous

Have no idea what this is, the status of it, if it was anything more than an old proposal, whatever, but came across it and thought it interesting enough to share:

St Joseph's Basilica is renovating the grounds, thanks to the Jasper Ave makeover

20210926_184722.jpg
20210926_184748.jpg

In the old Mercer space:

Permit Date
Sep 10, 2021
Permit Status
In Progress
Description
To add an Accessory Major Amusement Establishment use [4 skiball game machines, 4 basketball games machines, a foosball table, a games table and an arcade game machine] to an approved Bar and Neighbourhood Pub

Woohoo more arcade bars...

Yup. I'm starting to avoid anywhere east of 109 st myself
Unfortunately, this is exactly the problem in Edmonton.... avoidance.

Especially from the large suburban population of this city. Edmontonians, in general (not all of course), don't give a shit about their downtown and they avoid it as much as they can. Sad truth and an uphill battle.

For those of you who are younger and even for those of my vintage, the east end of downtown Edmonton is in the same state as Old Strathcona was in the early 1970s. As I have mentioned on this site before, a group of us took it upon ourselves to re-invigorate the "town"of Strathcona -- and look where it is today. We now have a group 20-strong in numbers and growing that is turning the focus on the area known as the "Quarters" and, alternatively, "Boyle Street". We believe that we only need to create strong draws to three or four locations within that area in order to see a seismic shift of interest occurring -- if the City stays out of the way -- to the effect of creating a viable district equal to Old Strathcona. It won't happen over night but it will be well on its way within the current decade.

Have no idea what this is, the status of it, if it was anything more than an old proposal, whatever, but came across it and thought it interesting enough to share:

looks to me like it might have been proposed around the time the LRT upgrade/pedways were going in, the renders show an alternate version of Health Sciences Station with a raised glass roof.

Nevertheless, nothing healthcare related is going to happen in this province until we kick out Kenney.

Man the east end of downtown is suffering right now. I walked down there to go to Bianco and it’s so depressing. Everything looks run down, and the vibe was legitimately scary in some places.

A lot of the inner-city is looking run down and depressing right now. But I strongly believe that we are headed in the right direction. There has been an undeniable shift in this city over the past 10 years with renewed focus on making the core of this city livable.

Back