News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Miscellaneous

New strip mall 1 block north of the Wagner LRT station. Stand alone building is likely an A&W.
20211004_083503.jpg

For those of you who are younger and even for those of my vintage, the east end of downtown Edmonton is in the same state as Old Strathcona was in the early 1970s. As I have mentioned on this site before, a group of us took it upon ourselves to re-invigorate the "town"of Strathcona -- and look where it is today. We now have a group 20-strong in numbers and growing that is turning the focus on the area known as the "Quarters" and, alternatively, "Boyle Street". We believe that we only need to create strong draws to three or four locations within that area in order to see a seismic shift of interest occurring -- if the City stays out of the way -- to the effect of creating a viable district equal to Old Strathcona. It won't happen over night but it will be well on its way within the current decade.
I find the comment "if the City stays out of the way" interesting. I get the sense they have been trying to do something to develop the area for a long time, but without any success. Arguably things have moved backwards some.
They (the City) think they are helping but they are not.

Yes, it only needs several good draws to get the ball rolling. I am not sure what the group plans, but chances of success are better if it includes some property owners and tenants in the area, or potential owners/tenants.

Reference ID:Job No 410119313-002
Description:Alteration of (an) existing building(s), Addition to Existing Building, Exterior Alteration, Interior Alteration
Plan NB Blk 5 Lots 53-56
Applicant:GARDNER ARCHITECTURE INCORPORATED
Create Date:10/1/2021 3:04:26 PM
Neighbourhood:DOWNTOWN

???
Reference ID:Job No 410076450-002
Description:Demolition
Plan 0022666 Blk 1 Lot G
Applicant:FILLMORE CONSTRUCTION MANAGEMENT INC (USE THIS ACCOUNT)
Create Date:10/1/2021 10:25:52 AM

???
Reference ID:Job No 410076450-002
Description:Demolition
Plan 0022666 Blk 1 Lot G
Applicant:FILLMORE CONSTRUCTION MANAGEMENT INC (USE THIS ACCOUNT)
Create Date:10/1/2021 10:25:52 AM

These guys better not touch the historic part of the CIBC building or they will catch almighty hell

They were doing signage work as CIBC has updated their logo/branding... perhaps that?

EDIT - 'Removing the concrete benches along the south side of CIBC on Jasper Ave. ' - Harrison on SSP

Last edited:
One of my several avoid areas is this part of Jasper Avenue, even more so during COVID times. There is always a group of people in front here and they usually seem questionable looking.

When I go to the CIBC, I use the south side of Jasper Ave and cross at the lights on 101 St. I am sure the large benches were partly meant to accommodate people catching buses at the nearby stop - another good idea turned bad downtown.

Fortunately I am familiar enough with downtown to have ways to get around or avoid most of the bad spots. I feel bad for someone visiting. It is probably partly why they may often not come back.

Back