News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.9K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Misc. Transportation Projects

A complete rebuild of parking would seem to be in order whereby parking is demolished one sector at a time in favor of underground parking combined with overtop mixed use that ties into the mall and provides mid- plus high-rise apartments/condos/hotel uses with more architectural pizzazz... after all 'tis an iconic edifice that partly defines Edmonton-ism and the transcendent combination of retail with entertainment. I am certain that 555 is not missing the cues.

Just went out for a walk on the new wem bridge. I am not a big fan of it at all. You have to walk very far from either side of the intersection to get up to the bridge and the bridge drops you off at the parking lot by Hudsons bay. The walk feels very cumbersome so I don't think many people would use it. It tries to accomodate pedsterians on both north and south side of the intersection on 170 st but doesnt do it well for either side. Atleast the old bridge offers convenient access for the high school students. I think ppl would rather go through the crosswalk.

However, the bridge should serve ppl from the new misercordia emergency department area convenient access as they sort of cut a hole by the fence to the bridge.

Some the landscaping is also incomplete.
20230906_185454.jpg
20230906_185746.jpg
20230906_185951.jpg
20230906_190002.jpg
20230906_190147.jpg

A complete rebuild of parking would seem to be in order whereby parking is demolished one sector at a time in favor of underground parking combined with overtop mixed use that ties into the mall and provides mid- plus high-rise apartments/condos/hotel uses with more architectural pizzazz... after all 'tis an iconic edifice that partly defines Edmonton-ism and the transcendent combination of retail with entertainment. I am certain that 555 is not missing the cues.
This would be a dream. Even rebuilt elevated, but disguised podiums with storefronts and human scaled facades (like they do in Florida quite well). Then towers above. Not sure our market will make this happen in the next 20 years. But that would be the dream. 10+ residential buildings that create a true community node.

I'm interested if WEM would start parking lot redevelopment around the end of the decade near-post VLW opening after the space is done being used for construction.
Not sure if WEM's exterior and Water Park roof are in need for renewal too, I imagine it would be soon tho. Probably good timing if there's planning in the works.
It would be cool to see WEMs roof turn into a public space also if they are gonna build high density residential

I doubt the roof structure was designed to take weather-related live loads PLUS human foot traffic live loads and other dead loads that would turn the roof into a park-like space -- however, 555 could replace one section at a time along with the parking elements previously mentioned by overbuilding the existing roof.

Driving down 17th St south of Whitemud the other evening, it looked like they're prepping the area to widen the road from just south of 37 Ave. Can't find any info on the City website or Building Edmonton pages, can anyone confirm it's being twinned, or is this just preliminary work? It certainly needs it, especially with the new high school going in beside The Meadows.

It sure does need it…..on another note the overpass on 17th over the Henday looks it light actually be completed?! They removed the concrete barricades on the Henday underneath and put it those non-sensical cable barriers in lieu of

Work is well underway on Winterburn Rd (215 Street) to complete the following roadway & community access enhancements:

1. Immediate intersection improvements at 215 Street and Secord Boulevard.
- Dedicated southbound to westbound right turn bay at 215 Street and Secord Blvd, which will result in better traffic flow in both the southbound movement and the south to west turn movement into Secord
2. Immediate intersection improvements at 215 Street and 100 Ave NW. Reconfigure southbound movements to:
- Shared through-right lane, through lane, and left turn lane.
- Reconfigure northbound movements to:
- Left turn lane, through lane, right turn lane.
- These configurations will create an expected better flow of southbound vehicles and separation from vehicles turning east onto 100 Avenue.

From Andrew Knack's Facebook

Back