News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Jasper Avenue New Vision / Imagine Jasper Avenue

My guess is that it would have been too costly and would likely not work.
Because of the old, poorly designed soil cells, and urban pollution, many of these trees would not be that healthy, and unlikely to survive the transplantation process.

I agree though that they should at least try it as a test. Remove and replant in an urban park as a pilot study.

Normally I would be against cutting down boulevard trees, but I agree that in this case virtually all the trees along Jasper Avenue are in very poor condition. My hope is that the redesign incorporates the latest technology for soil cells to let the new trees grow a canopy and not look so spindly.

I would like an arborist to examine the trees. I doubt that the existing trees are getting enough moisture/nutrients to the roots -- hence stunted growth (perhaps), but, in a new more progressive scenario whereby trees are lifted from their current placement (root-balls and all) by a transplant rig and repotted facing the same direction as they faced in their original location, the result could be a newly invigorated plant that has years of development over the twigs that are normally planted in their place.

TTS_1868[1].JPG

Forgot the Tunnel went so far east. I believe it went to the old entrance of the Mac annex.

Taken on 114th street and Jasper looking East. They are hammering away as we speak! So happy this project is actually happening. Most excited for the expanded sidewalks and boulevard trees. The trees will make Jasper feel totally different once grown out! Woot
20200430_173114.jpg

Back