News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.9K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Jasper Avenue New Vision / Imagine Jasper Avenue

According to https://www.edmonton.ca/programs_services/building-edmonton.aspx the "Imagine Jasper" stretch from 124 Street to 109 Street is supposed to start construction in April and be complete by December of this year.

Chris, that's different than what you posted above about a 2022 completion. I'm thinking your information might be referring to "Jasper Avenue New Vision". Not sure why they have two different Jasper Ave projects going at the same time.

According to https://www.edmonton.ca/programs_services/building-edmonton.aspx the "Imagine Jasper" stretch from 124 Street to 109 Street is supposed to start construction in April and be complete by December of this year.

Chris, that's different than what you posted above about a 2022 completion. I'm thinking your information might be referring to "Jasper Avenue New Vision". Not sure why they have two different Jasper Ave projects going at the same time.
Cant wait for this to start. Even if it is just wider sidewalks it will do wonders for the street level interactions on that stretch. The current condition feels so hostile for walking.

@Freedm that must be a mistake. It’s a multi-year, multi-phase project.
Well it wouldn't be the first time there was a mistake on the city website but are you referring to "Imagine Jasper" or "Jasper Avenue New Vision"? Imagine Jasper is from 109 to 124 and will feature the wider sidewalks and removed turning lanes. I'm not sure about Jasper Avenue New Vision but I believe this refers to the new light standards, east of 109?

Both. The construction limits and dates I posted are still the plan as far as I know. Both projects will have similar streetscaping as the current completed section between 100 St and 102 St. It’s more than just wider sidewalks, it’s a complete rebuild of the Avenue.

They're also putting in temporary poles for signals, and based on the position of the lights (sorry I didn't get photos of that) it looks like traffic will be shifted to the north side of Jasper while work starts on the south side, but I'm not 100% on that.

P3200172.jpg
P3200173.jpg

Why do they have to do that? -- do their collective pea-sized brains lack the ability to conceive of transplantation. This is the perfect time to replant -- when the subject trees are in a dormancy stage. This is why I lack faith in City governments and their so-called on-staff "experts" to get anything right.

My guess is that it would have been too costly and would likely not work.
Because of the old, poorly designed soil cells, and urban pollution, many of these trees would not be that healthy, and unlikely to survive the transplantation process.

I agree though that they should at least try it as a test. Remove and replant in an urban park as a pilot study.

Back