News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.7K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Jasper Avenue New Vision / Imagine Jasper Avenue

From yesterday. Sidewalks being formed along parts of the area west of 109th street. For some reason I feel like this project is a bit of a missed opportunity. Sidewalks still seem very small.
20200812_210509.jpg
20200812_210207.jpg

Looks good! And glad to see it in the rebuild phase. Driving by it always just feels like it's a big mess. I'm guessing the other side of the street won't get done till next year? Or are they still planning to do it this year?
Looks like the plan is for next year. I think its the North side this year, South side next year, and then soft landscaping, etc. the year after. Seems WAY to long but whatever I am fine.

Huh, so they just paved over them instead of taking them out of the road in the 1950's?? That's interesting.

Huh, so they just paved over them instead of taking them out of the road in the 1950's?? That's interesting.
but consistent... i'm pretty sure the bridge abutments/foundations for the old 101st street and and 105th street bridges over the tracks weren't removed when the structures were demolished either. that's probably a lot more of that than you might think not only under our streets but on lots of private sites as well (i.e. basements filled in rather than removed).

with the old ties, disposal will be interesting because they're probably considered "hazardous material" because of the creosote content and presumably the surrounding soil should be tested for leaching and contamination.

Oh yeah! That's what happened with 107th Avenue, for instance. I think it was a mix of negligent "somebody else can take care of it," and pragmatic "it's quicker to pave it then tear it." I'm sure quite a few of the old inner-city routes down 101st, 97th, 95th, etc. that haven't got a complete overhaul in decades, probably still have some ties or track laying underneath.

Kingsway Ave immediately fronting Victoria School still has the railroad ties in it. I remember them being exposed during repaving for the metro line. If memory serves, they just left them there. I don't remember them sticking out much or anything, and i don't remember them being dug up either. it would be really interesting to know how often this occurs, and if anyone records where these abandoned lines are still extant under roads.

They have Creosote.

124st still may have some. And I did see some along 102 ave

The ties were removed. hauled away in a separate load. the soil was hauled away as normal. must mean the haz mat was negligible. There was a bit more in front of the Mac removed as well. I seem to remember streets like 121 had tracks down them for freight as they were close to the rail yards. As they dig up those streets north of 105 ave they may find more from spur lines.

Kingsway Ave immediately fronting Victoria School still has the railroad ties in it. I remember them being exposed during repaving for the metro line. If memory serves, they just left them there. I don't remember them sticking out much or anything, and i don't remember them being dug up either. it would be really interesting to know how often this occurs, and if anyone records where these abandoned lines are still extant under roads.
Unless there was major rebuilding a lot of the street car lines were covered over. Same goes for all the areas serviced from the rail yards. I do remember as a kid driving in the warehouse area and looking behind to see a locomotive following us.

Back