News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Jasper Avenue New Vision / Imagine Jasper Avenue

(edit) Walking around Jasper from 109 to 117, I've got two things to strike me:
1- Jasper west of the 109 was really in DESPERATE need of some revitalization. It's such an eyesore, for being our "main street". I still think this project is underwhelming in every single aspect, but geez, it's still going to be SOOOOOOOO much better than before.
I'd still love to see a low floor LRT (imagine it going up 124 st, intersecting Valley line west and up, all the way to intercept the metro line expansion, what a beauty...), bike lanes, tree medians, but I'm just glad we're getting something;

2- I'm not sure about their ability to finish the whole north side of this construction this season... Between 111 and 114 it's pretty neat and somewhat seems close to be done, but between 109 and 111 it's a complete mess. I don't think they even finished moving all of the utilities.
20200823_105238.jpg
20200823_105238.jpg
20200823_104852.jpg
20200823_104850.jpg
20200823_104445.jpg

Last edited:
Remember GEFE -- Good Enough For Edmonton -- if we don't raise objection to half-hearted efforts we get what we deserve (an ice cream cone without the ice cream). We should always be challenging mediocrity even if it raises the bar ever so slightly. Edmonton needs people to challenge mediocrity and that, incidentally, is the beauty of this site.

@archited I agree, but I'm still not sure what we're all up in arms about given this isn't even close to the end product.
Dave, I understand what you're saying, that was precisely my point, when I said that I was happy we're getting something that's gonna look nice (the parts that are closer to completion, like the Cactus Cafe block, are looking good.
What I think Ted means is that we're clearly getting the good'ol GEFE, one way or another. Nothing on this project is really going to activate this area of Jasper, for example. An that's not to mention the missed opportunity to make something really major and, if not revolutionary, different from what we usually see here: embellishment with little functionality and/or actual city planning goals in mind.
Edmonton has a city layout that would allow us to think big and do things plenty of other cities can't, with flat lands, large streets and avenues and very few major geological challenges and still we don't miss the opportunity of missing an opportunity when it comes to being bold with our city planning.

We are probably past the optimum window of time for making suggestions or commenting on what could have or what should have been done. There was a very long time for public consultation and input and then the finished plans would have been made public - perfect time for putting forward suggestions.
Better to find the next upgrading project and give input to that design.
I also think that just putting in superdooper surface infrastructure isn't suddenly going to make everything better or be the catalyst for Jasper Ave to be a great street (look at the Quarters). You can't polish a t*rd. It will be a 100% improvement though and one of the first steps to an overall better environment.
Let's also wait and see what it looks like finished and what it looks like a few years down the line when the trees have matured.

@ChazYEG What do you feel should have been included that would help activate the area?
Dave, I think one very good way of making the Jasper Ave more pedestrian friendly and attractive would be to force the traffic out of it, or to minimize it's impact. I, personally, would include a bike lane, completely segregated from traffic lanes, a tall median, with mid-size trees, signature bus stops (which could go from downtown all the way to 124th) and dedicated bus lanes.
This reduces the perception of aggressiveness from a pedestrian point of view, makes people more likely to enjoy the street furniture, the outdoor patios, etc... It also would make it look nicer, in my humble opinion, and once they get to the stretch from 116th st to 121 street, I would use the set of bike lanes and larger sidewalks to integrate it to the Victoria Promenade (which would get the same treatment, with two-way bike lane, slightly larger pedestrian area and lose most of the parking, to gain more width on the north sidewalk of 100th ave).
The alleyways, also, could be worked on and put in the project, with streetscape and maybe, even some backway patios from some of the businesses in the area, closing them to cars and using them to link bike and pedestrians paths.
Is it bold? Yes!
Is its scope a lot bigger than just Jasper? Absolutely!
Would I love to the half of it done? Hell yeah!!!

@ChazYEG Excellent points, thanks.

I know I did push for bike lanes during the early engagement sessions, but knew it was unlikely to happen due to 1) The existing lanes on 102 Avenue and the desired expansion on 100 Avenue, and 2) the nonsensical parts of the current bike plan (currently prepping for a major update) that explicitly avoids putting any bike lanes on "main streets".

The potential for dedicated bus lanes still exists, at least, but would reduce general vehicular lanes to one in each direction. It would take a lot of political will to make that happen, but with the Valley Line West about to get underway, the number of bus routes along here will drop a fair bit when it's finished. All things considered, the reduction to two lanes in each direction may well be the best we can get, and I'm not mad about that.

@ChazYEG Excellent points, thanks.

I know I did push for bike lanes during the early engagement sessions, but knew it was unlikely to happen due to 1) The existing lanes on 102 Avenue and the desired expansion on 100 Avenue, and 2) the nonsensical parts of the current bike plan (currently prepping for a major update) that explicitly avoids putting any bike lanes on "main streets".

The potential for dedicated bus lanes still exists, at least, but would reduce general vehicular lanes to one in each direction. It would take a lot of political will to make that happen, but with the Valley Line West about to get underway, the number of bus routes along here will drop a fair bit when it's finished. All things considered, the reduction to two lanes in each direction may well be the best we can get, and I'm not mad about that.

You make a tood case! I didn't know there as a plan for expanding the bike lane to 100th Ave, but it's interesting... Nonsensical is an understatement, not putting bike lanes on major roads is plain stupid, my friend.
One thing I forgot to mention is that I'd take away all the left turns except for 109, 116 and 121 street and add a tall-ish median. And I'm not sure, but wouldn't the width of the avenue allow for 2 lanes + bus only, if we narrowed the lanes just a tiny bit, to fit in the bike lanes?
I'm happy with what we might get, because it's already a huge improvement on what we currently have, but I'd be thrilled, proud and super excited if we could get the whole active, pedestrian friendly and beautiful project I believe Edmonton deserve.
I've lived in my fair share of cities and I've visited more than I can count, but maybe along just with my own hometown and NYC, Edmonton kind of stole my heart and I'd really love to see the city get everything I believe it deserves.

Back