News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

General Photography Discussion Thread

iPhone 12 Pro Max is absolutely amazing! (especially with lens add-ons).
iPhone's cameras are subpar, even compared to other smartphones.
Samsung Galaxy S21 and Note 20, Huawei P40 Pro are off the charts, compared to iPhone's 12 Pro Max camera.

Samsung Galaxy S21 and Note 20, Huawei P40 Pro are off the charts, compared to iPhone's 12 Pro Max camera.
I don't think there is that much of a difference between cell phone cameras.

Coming from an SLR setup, no phone comes close because of the sensor size that can fit in a phone. Software can only do so much. I think phone manufacturers are making some progress as far as zoom goes with phone cameras, but due to physics, they are going to have a tough time matching SLR setups without a major breakthrough. There isn't really anything else they can jostle for. I used a P30 Pro for a while and it wasn't that much better than my iPhone 12 and in some situations/scenes it was worse - they all do pretty good in well lit situations. I think the other issue is that most people don't just buy a phone because of the camera - P40 Pro software is limiting and I did the Android thing for a long time across multiple phones and I don't think 'customization' really offers you that much versus what iOS offers anymore. Most features are found in both ecosystems with some minor differences. I bought the iPhone, because it just works and gets timely updates the day of release without waiting around for the weird update structure that exists in the Android world because of how Google rolled out Android.

I will let the internet continue the debate between different phones, but I maintain that if you want to do serious photography, you should be using a dedicated setup that isn't on a phone. For everyone else, you will get roughly the same experience between an iPhone, Huawei, or Samsung device with some slight nuances between each one.

For now, I will continue on the phone path since the best camera is the one you have with you. :)

Not according to the film people in SoCal that I have been speaking with -- they are beginning to use iPhone in many of their productions in this area. They are all abuzz... but if you know better!

Overall phone camera's do a decent job, especially on standard close range pictures. Out of convenience I use my cell for lots of pictures these days. When I need better shots for long range, etc I still love using my DSLR.

Ontario ain't so bad.
DSC_1392.JPG

Last edited:
Anyone want to recommend a decent camera? And my be a lens?

Reactions: ION
Depends a lot on your budget, but I own a Sony a6000 and, apart from the standard 15mm lens that come with it, I own a E 10-18mm f/4 OSS wide-angle zoom lens that are a treat for both closed spaces and landscape pics.
Bought both pre-owned and it set me back roughly $900.

Heck yes! Anyone looking to branch into DSLR tech should always always always start with a Canon EOS Rebel series kit. Why? It's quite literally the cheapest prosumer option with demountable standardized lenses and the standard of every single journalist that graduates from a media school in Canada in the last 20 years. It's about as standard a tech as Apple is to the design industry and now with iPhones filmmaking... For anyone who has enough vision and creativity and drive, ANYONE can make a theatrical-quality feature film... Tangerine is the standard-bearer in terms of the most popular and frankly amazing film that was shot on a janky old iphone. Yes it used some special post-production image connection software and alot of careful steadicam/handicam shots to make sure it wasn't too "Cloverfieldy" if you know what I mean...

While I loathe to support Amazon? $558 CAD all in with extra lenses is a steal! I paid a couple hundred more for my T3 when it was brand new so obviously with the amount of cheap 4K CCD chips even these are now more affordable than ever! Canon EOS Rebel T7

Have fun and I can't wait to see what you create!

Back