News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

General Photography Discussion Thread

Odd how people are turned off by a sea of cars, but a sea of boats well that's somehow cool! I would be more impressed if the "cove" had a more naturalistic feel. I lived in North Vancouver for just under a year and I found the winter "drizzle" annoying and cold-wet-cold. Not my scene.

Vancouver looks like garbage, no wonder no one wants to live there!
there is no question that when the sun is shining it's a beautiful city...

the flip side of that is that on average it rains pretty much one out of every two days a year and i remember some years it rained close to 200 days and living through more than 40 consecutive days of rain on more than one occasion.

and did i mention there are also lots of days without rain where you still never see blue sky?

but then the first day the sun comes out and the moss dries under your feet is truly glorious.

^I took love coping mechanisms and false justifications.

Similar to 'it's a dry cold' and 'so many festivals'.

:)

I think there's something different to love about each big Canadian city! Vancouver weather, Edmonton festivals, Calgary oil tycoons, and more!

A quick road trip to Calgary today. The East Village was bumpin'.

IMG_0759.jpg
IMG_0760.jpg
IMG_0763.jpg
IMG_0766.jpg

What do you guys all shoot with? I had a Sony A6300, but it wasn't getting enough use, so I sold it and just use my iPhone now. Kind of regret it as I can't crop anything anymore. Perhaps I will dive back in at some point, but with a different mirrorless system.

Pixel 4 for mobile shooting. D700- Lens changes quite a bit. but the 55-200 is one of my most used. Had an 18-135 which I loved but someone stole. and A5000 was usually in my pocket while on project sites, but I have dropped it to many times and repairs were killing me.
A D80 is a back up for project shoots.

Your iPhone is doing great @westcoastjos. I'm envious of the newer phones' capabilities and they have a larger sensor than my old camera! Is there not basic editing Apps for iPhone' that have cropping and whatnot?

I've only ever shot with a Nikon Coolpix P500, lol, which a friend just happened to give me a few years ago. He's a seasoned photographer and just mentioned that these types of cameras end up being used/published a lot more in certain situations producing credible results. Grab and go. My old P500 has a (22.5mm to 810mm equiv) non-detachable glass lens which is stupid, and fun. Probable around $100 on Amazon? The new updated B500 version is around $300 from wherever.
You're probably not looking for this type of camera but I thought I'd just share.
I've been considering upgrading to a mid-range DSLR or Mirrorless for a year now but have been having too much fun trying to squeak out some decent challenging shots from my old workhorse. I will probably buy a used DSLR camera body this year on the cheap (I don't care if it's 10 years old, but pro-level), and invest more in 1 or 2 better zoom lenses as needed. My thought is that if I end up shooting more with the ol' point/shoot (which could happen) then I won't be as pissed off at myself for overspending. I'm not sure if I would get used to carrying a camera bag with all the lenses and gear in a lot of basic situations or just to document construction sites?
Anyways, I absolutely love a good picture and would be SO frustrated if I couldn't do a basic crop or straighten a shot when needed. To me, basic composition is most important and a potentially great shot becomes an eyesore regardless of the gear used.

Your iPhone is doing great @westcoastjos. I'm envious of the newer phones' capabilities and they have a larger sensor than my old camera! Is there not basic editing Apps for iPhone' that have cropping and whatnot?

I've only ever shot with a Nikon Coolpix P500, lol, which a friend just happened to give me a few years ago. He's a seasoned photographer and just mentioned that these types of cameras end up being used/published a lot more in certain situations producing credible results. Grab and go. My old P500 has a (22.5mm to 810mm equiv) non-detachable glass lens which is stupid, and fun. Probable around $100 on Amazon? The new updated B500 version is around $300 from wherever.
You're probably not looking for this type of camera but I thought I'd just share.
I've been considering upgrading to a mid-range DSLR or Mirrorless for a year now but have been having too much fun trying to squeak out some decent challenging shots from my old workhorse. I will probably buy a used DSLR camera body this year on the cheap (I don't care if it's 10 years old, but pro-level), and invest more in 1 or 2 better zoom lenses as needed. My thought is that if I end up shooting more with the ol' point/shoot (which could happen) then I won't be as pissed off at myself for overspending. I'm not sure if I would get used to carrying a camera bag with all the lenses and gear in a lot of basic situations or just to document construction sites?
Anyways, I absolutely love a good picture and would be SO frustrated if I couldn't do a basic crop or straighten a shot when needed. To me, basic composition is most important and a potentially great shot becomes an eyesore regardless of the gear used.
Yeah, the iPhone 12 Pro Max is great generally speaking. I don't even use much editing other than the auto enhancer - that said, Apple Photos is garbae compared to its Google counterpart. Sometimes it doesn't get the white balance right even when you are shooting the same scene from one photo to the next, but I think that is all cell phones and to an extent, auto modes on SLRs.

You can crop on an iPhone, but the quality falls off pretty quickly. If you take an image shot on an A6300 for example, you can crop any ninth or probably 15th of the image and still retain as much detail as you would have on the full image. Do that on an iPhone and the quality probably is diminished if you do that on even one fourth of the image. Of course, it begs the question of whether your original shot was that great to begin with, but sometimes you find you want to zoom in on a portion of the photo OR, if you want to show different zooms on a single photo, you can crop it three times and make it appear that you took four or five shots, when really, it is all the same shot. Saves on editing times in your workflow. On an iPhone, you more or less have to take three different shots to get all the focal lengths that you want for a given scene. Once in a while, I shot portraits for friends and what not, which was much easier with a SLR and a good prime lens.

I would probably go with Fujifilm or find an older gen Sony FF this time around if I get back into it. Maybe after the new dog thing wears off next summer. That will occupy me for a while and the iPhone will do just fine until I find more time.

Back