News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

General Photography Discussion Thread

Marcanadian

Member Bio
Reaction score
I'd like to put together a few articles across the local sites showcasing where to get the best views of the skyline in each respective city. Gallagher Park, the High Level Bridge and McNally High School come up frequently in my search. The Cloverdale Footbridge too, but of course that's no longer possible for the time being. What are some other, perhaps less popular ones that you think should be included? If you have any recent(ish) photos to share as well, please do so!

Cool idea! Easiest way for me to share my favourites was to make a map:

Capture.PNG

Access the interactive map here; You can see sample photos from most of the points by clicking on them:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ixG4FmKUhk-UcWussQq7DIusIIU&usp=sharing

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    2.5 MB · Views: 619
Thanks Dave, automotive is definitely my go to... Well aside from pictures of Finn.

Was definitely a treat to get to see these cars considering there is only 2 in Alberta and Nakai was only here for 2 days from Japan just to assemble it. Does it all by eye, no measuring. He is a master of his art for sure.

Well seeing as so many of us love photography I figured a dedicated thread to discuss and share are non building related work would be a good idea!

Here is my Fiancee and our pooch Finn on a smokey Lake Minnewanka.

_MG_8192 by Ryan Ponto, on Flickr

_MG_8218 by Ryan Ponto, on Flickr

_MG_8225 by Ryan Ponto, on Flickr

Currently I am shooting with an old sturdy Canon 50D and my lenses consist of the 50mm 1.8 STM and the 10-22mm 3.5-4.5 wide angle. Depending on the shoot I will borrow my friends 70-200 2.8 though as well, which is likely my next purchase I believe.

I have shot a lot of automotive to date, but lately been more architecture (infill homes mainly) and obviously our dog and our adventures with him. Hoping to hike Ha Ling this weekend for sunrise and bring the tripod to the top to see what shots we can get.

* edit - bah I forgot my two main photos white balances were off from each other... I swear white balance is the bane of my existence, with shooting that is.

That is definitely acceptable! I have a fair amount of stuff I am going through, shooting another infill tonight as well so excited about that. Sounds like Swish will be using my photos for the Canadian Home Builder awards.

Picking my next lens has been quite difficult... especially on a limited budget, but looks like the Sigma 30mm 1.4 Art lens is the winner.

Ideally I would love the 24-70 or the 70-200 but both out of my price range until after the wedding.

Aside from landscapes, cityscapes, construction, and architecture, I've got a pretty big portfolio of a number of subjects. Here's a bit of a sample.

Products:

Ochin
by Dave Sutherland, on Flickr

Elecric Blue

Models & Fashion:

On a Bicycle Made for Two

Cold Cathode

Masonic

Events (I have many many more that I have not yet put online, but am planning too soon):

Downtown Dining Week Kickoff 2017

Edmonton Craft Beer Festival

Holiday Joy

Food:

I don't normally do babies, but this is my great-niece in a fun shoot I did a couple years back (her mom is a crazy Harry Potter fan):

Luna

Conceptual (back from when I did Flickr Friday weekly challenges, something I'd like to get back into for the creative boost):

Love is in the Air...

The Morning After

Phoenix

The Secret Lives of Salt and Pepper Shakers

Life at 6 AM?

I've got so much more, but wanted to share some of my greatest hits for now.

I've been picking up more paid work lately, which is keeping me active, but I'm starting to crave more creative stuff for me. Gotta make the leap again soon.

Nice work man! Glad you finally shared. Knew you had a ton of awesome work.

I feel you about needing more creative stuff. Lately it's just been pictures of my dog haha. I mean he is handsome and all, but need to do more! Will have a bunch more infills to shoot and have some creative ideas for detail shots etc which will be nice. Hoping to do some more automotive stuff too.

This is my attempt at keeping creative over the winter.

Dog

38793375980_b3d0a28cc6_c.jpg
_MG_7590[/url] by Ryan Ponto, on Flickr[/IMG] _MG_7590 by Ryan Ponto, on Flickr

_MG_1770 by Ryan Ponto, on Flickr

Treat Toss

_MG_1648 by Ryan Ponto, on Flickr

_MG_1647 by Ryan Ponto, on Flickr

And new wheels for the Q haha

_MG_1709 by Ryan Ponto, on Flickr

Back