News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

General Food & Dining Thread

Lots of great content this week, including that Culina is opening an outpost in The Piazza in Little Italy, May is relocating to the Canteen space, and The Boiler Room is open again in the basement of the Gibbard Block.

Lots of great content this week, including that Culina is opening an outpost in The Piazza in Little Italy, May is relocating to the Canteen space, and The Boiler Room is open again in the basement of the Gibbard Block.

Pumped to hear Culina is opening a location in Little Italy, glad to see that plaza get another valuable tenant!

Had dinner at Rostizado tonight. It was fairly quiet compared to a couple of months ago when it was jam-packed for an Oilers game. Their carnitas tacos and paloma were delicious as always. The owners weren't there, so I asked my server why their other restaurant (Tres Carnales) was shutting down - he blamed the lack of customers due to COVID.

Last edited:
Had dinner at Rostizado tonight. It was fairly quiet compared to a couple of months ago when it was jam-packed for an Oilers game. Their carnitas tacos and paloma were delicious as always. The owners weren't there, so I asked my server why their other restaurant (Tres Carnales) was shutting down - he blamed the lack of customers due to COVID.
Rostizado has not been the same for some time. I went there a few times pre-covid and loved it. Last time I went was last year and it was the first time since they changed the concept a bit (no longer Mexican bbq) and it was meh. There were also quite a bit of fruit flies buzzing around and we did not enjoy the experience. That experience coupled with the pest induced closure at Tres in November I was good not going back.

I'll need to go back to Rostizado on a game night, or during the summer when their patio is open.

A few weeks back we had a discussion about best steaks in the Edmonton Area.

Well Went to Baracoa restaurant in Spruce Grove Saturday night. It was worth the trip. Great staff, great food and the room is quite nice. Not what you would expect driving into an industrial area in SG.
Could only get an 8:30 reservation but that is more our style anyway. From my door in St Al to the Rest was 27 minutes.

4 steak choices, I went with the Ribeye 12oz and the wife went with the 7oz Tenderloin. all side included. Appies (we shared). Went with the Bacon "Bruschetta". the one we wanted was sold out. Bacon and Eggs.
Good choice of Local beers. and a good mix of wines.

We had nothing left for dessert. but the total meal came to $150.00. which is not bad for this style of dinning. Will we go back, most definitely.

Well Went to Baracoa restaurant in Spruce Grove Saturday night. It was worth the trip. Great staff, great food and the room is quite nice. Not what you would expect driving into an industrial area in SG.
Could only get an 8:30 reservation but that is more our style anyway. From my door in St Al to the Rest was 27 minutes.

4 steak choices, I went with the Ribeye 12oz and the wife went with the 7oz Tenderloin. all side included. Appies (we shared). Went with the Bacon "Bruschetta". the one we wanted was sold out. Bacon and Eggs.

We had nothing left for dessert. but the total meal came to $150.00. which is not bad for this style of dinning. Will we go back, most definitely.
Speaking of Edmonton's best steaks, I need to get to Coliseum Steak & Pizza one of these days (it's very close to my house, so no excuse).

Heard of that place but geez…..they aren’t doing themselves any favours by being in an industrial park….

Back