News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Edmonton's Population

So with YYC's hot housing market, does that indicate that a decent majority are moving there? Our market is not experiencing anything like that although my friend who just advertised one of his houses for rent has a couple from Ontario coming to look at it tomorrow.

I would say that Calgary is likely attracting the majority, yes, but Edmonton will attract its fair share.

Here's hoping this moves Edmonton's demand needle though, for central condos are still in a very, very poor position.

Anecdotal but many many people are moving to YEG from Ontario in particular.

Stats Canada's labour force survey provides estimates of the working age population.

Edmonton, Alberta Jan 2022:1,213.6 December 2022: 1,249.3 = gain of 35,700 people

Calgary, Alberta Jan 2022: 1,277.9 December 2022: 1,314.3 = gain of 36,400 people

In the last census Edmonton Edmonton proper (8.3%) and Edmonton Metro (7.3%) grew by more than Calgary proper (5.5%) and Calgary metro (6.4%). I can't say what the trend has been in last year or so and either way it is close and I doubt the numbers skew so steeply to explain a hot vs. lukewarm market.

I think Calgary has done a good job of positioning itself as the sexier option to outsiders which seems to have driven up cost of housing quicker there but hasn't led to faster population growth.

I wonder if urban Ontarians look at Calgary's nearly 100% conservative electoral ridings and are scared off, probably think they'll be more comfortable in a more progressive city.
That's a good point, especially Ontarians moving from Ottawa-Gatineau, Hamilton, Kitchener-Waterloo/Cambridge/Guelph and the City of Toronto (416).

Love the pic. Glad the city is doing something like this - lots of good resources/info for somebody considering YEG.

Screenshot_20230111-193648_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
Strange they would include only the municipal population and describe it as "just over a million". Why not highlight the metro population, which just hit 1.5?

I guess the fact we just hit one million on our own which is a big milestone - so just relishing in that for a little while at least.

Back