What do you think of this project?

• I neither like nor dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it

• I dislike it a lot

• Total voters
Or...maybe they just are poor operators?

If memory serves me correctly, they left their former location on some pretty bad terms as well.

You can't blame Beljan for "pulling a group out of their comfort zone" when they are grown adults that are choosing to sign two leases.

My sense from the grizzler soft open or whatever they were doing this summer was that they really didn’t know how to run a business. But who am I to judge, I’ve never ran a food/retail business. I’m sure it’s not easy. Just seemed disorganized. Sad it didn’t work. Hopefully some new tenants come soon.

I went to powerage when they first opened and it was a clumsy service experience.

That said, I went back a second time in the dead of winter. It was a long weekend Sunday and they were one of the few bars in Oliver area open past 10pm. The place was a blast, very scrappy and punk, but a blast nonetheless. RIP.

Substation seems like a tough environment for small businesses, there's very little traffic besides locals from the neighborhood, tons of competition in the area, and i'm sure there was no break on rent prices given its a brand new space. I've been to powerage twice and it was good but i'm not surprised it didn't make it. I have no idea where Grizzler was.

Grizzlar would've likely been better off if they moved into a cheaper space in an area with much less competition, like 118 Avenue or somewhere along 95 Street. Much lower rents and very little in the way of competition, as there are no coffee roasters in that part of town.
Even just down the block in an older building with lower rent and better visibility.

Substation seems like a tough environment for small businesses, there's very little traffic besides locals from the neighborhood, tons of competition in the area, and i'm sure there was no break on rent prices given its a brand new space. I've been to powerage twice and it was good but i'm not surprised it didn't make it. I have no idea where Grizzler was.

I don't disagree with this. Kinda feels like it is on an island by itself at the moment.

If they were able to purchase the adjacent building on the corner of 107/124, feels like there would be a great opportunity to really tie everything together. I have been told that owner is not an easy person to deal with though...and as long as he covers his revenue requirement with the giant billboards on top of the building, doesn't feel like there is urgency on their end to do anything with it.

It's too bad. Having those corner units vacant for so long really sucks the life out of a super high-visible intersection.

To me it feels like 124th street in general is just on the cusp of something great, in terms of developments and pedestrian activity. It genuinely just needs more medium-density commercial, office space and mixed-use buildings especially key areas like the 107th and 111th intersections, along with more nightlife and more of a population in the surrounding neighborhoods to create that all-day activity. Beljan's project here is great and I really hope more of this stuff can happen around here.

I've lived and/or worked on or near the 124th Street area for nearly two decades. While its improvement has not been measured in a straight line, it's generally a much more vibrant street than it was 15-20 years ago. It's "getting there", and hopefully will continue to "get there" over the years to come.

I've lived and/or worked on or near the 124th Street area for nearly two decades. While its improvement has not been measured in a straight line, it's generally a much more vibrant street than it was 15-20 years ago. It's "getting there", and hopefully will continue to "get there" over the years to come.
I have a feeling that the moment in which it hits critical mass is not too far.
Just need to add some more density around it, especially north of 107 Ave.

The LRT will also probably help.

To me it feels like 124th street in general is just on the cusp of something great, in terms of developments and pedestrian activity. It genuinely just needs more medium-density commercial, office space and mixed-use buildings especially key areas like the 107th and 111th intersections, along with more nightlife and more of a population in the surrounding neighborhoods to create that all-day activity. Beljan's project here is great and I really hope more of this stuff can happen around here.
I agree almost 100%

My only point of disagreement is regarding nightlife (which, obviously, depends on the definition). I see 124 st as oriented more towards dining and family-friendly than a nightlife hub. I'd like to see more retail, though, maybe some more entertainment options, like a bowling alley and an arcade, or something like this. Wouldn't hurt if it could land a couple of fashion boutiques, or a major fast-fashion store.

I think nightlife, in terms of pubs, lounges and clubs are developing better on Jasper Ave, and I would actually love to see it get more. I wouldn't complain if we saw a few more pop along it, especially if it can be concentrated between 109 st and 116 st, to generate that buzz.

I have a feeling that the moment in which it hits critical mass is not too far.
Just need to add some more density around it, especially north of 107 Ave.

The LRT will also probably help.
100%

If west of 124th on either side of 107 ave densified with more multifamily rental options, it'd really take off.

124th has been thriving because west Oliver has been growing substantially + the units west of the Brewery District but Westmount is still primarily a kingdom of $600k+ single family homes.

The stony plain intersection and nearby surroundings has so much potential. I hope some residential happens. 3-4 of these develop the next 5 years and it’ll add a ton of vibrancy.

7CBE3CEA-C6BC-4E76-A548-8D0F0B380F71.jpeg

The stony plain intersection and nearby surroundings has so much potential. I hope some residential happens. 3-4 of these develop the next 5 years and it’ll add a ton of vibrancy.

View attachment 522266
I'll bet on the 2 lots on 103 Ave being the first ones to be developed. I don't see any of the ones on SPR being developed before the LRT is running. I believe there's a good chance of the 124 at one, between 103 Ave and SPR being developed soon, as well.

Also, there's that convertion going on the 124 Ave 102 St corner, which is a fairly large building, and will definitely add quite some more foot traffic to the area.

That, coupled with the new additions to the immediate surroundings (Hat @122, Mercury I and II, and even the Citizen, of which we haven't seen the full impact yet), will make that area south of SPR arguably the second most vibrant area of the city by a country mile (and not too far behind Whyte, albeit with a different goal).

I would really love to see more density added north of SPR, and particularly north of 107 Ave, so that it could help support more retail options.

Back