Stationlands Residential Towers | 90m | 25s | Qualico | DIALOG

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
That's a mean way to say "never" lol

Today's Edmonton is a lot healthier than the Edmonton I witnessed in my early adulthood up to the pre oilsands boom. Is another tall tower poignant? Yes and no, but I'm confident it won't be 30 years before we see it. In another 10 years, the region will be another 300k greater in population, and our city will require more condos. I could easily see a combo tower of significant heights. Just shy of 2 million in population by then, a hotel/apartment/condo could be feasible.

I don't think we will see another Condo Tower until land prices in the suburbs make it comparable to downtown. As it is the distance to downtown has increased significantly but the jobs have not increased. Its still easier and cheaper to build an office in the burbs than get an office downtown. Even if all workers were back in the office.

I don't think we will see another Condo Tower until land prices in the suburbs make it comparable to downtown. As it is the distance to downtown has increased significantly but the jobs have not increased. Its still easier and cheaper to build an office in the burbs than get an office downtown. Even if all workers were back in the office.

the other issue is the tax environment in the city of edmonton, the surrounding regions are becoming more and more tax competitive.

Land, as a line item, is not generally the 'go, no go' deferential for projects and is typically 10-15% of total project cost. The demand side and $/sqft able to attained has far more impact, along with much of what you see below as it relates to desirable places to develop.

Screen Shot 2023-05-12 at 9.45.52 AM.png

How much do those cost figures change for infill vs greenfield new home development?
i would guess that infill costs would be higher. you can’t buy an infill lot for $101.5k - even if you’re subdividing a older larger lot in half - and that wouldn’t take into account demolition or hazardous material remediation. construction costs are also likely to be higher as you don’t have the same efficiencies of scale.

Outlying communities may be competitive for cheap housing, but as the core improves demand will increase for interesting neighbourhoods, short commutes and trendy restaurants. Will it be for everyone? Absolutely not. But if we look to our neighbour to the south, many people are choosing to buy in places like Cranston because that is what they can afford, not because that is where they want to live.

How much do those cost figures change for infill vs greenfield new home development?
Im curious about this too. One Skinny lot would be between 120-150 for undesirable neighbourhood, 200-250 for average neighbourhood, and 300 and way up for your westmounts, garneau, glenoras…etc. And that would just be purchase price before subdivision and servicing.

The 101 figure for lots seems very low in the infographic… would It be comparable for greenfield in Calgary?

Land, as a line item, is not generally the 'go, no go' deferential for projects and is typically 10-15% of total project cost. The demand side and $/sqft able to attained has far more impact, along with much of what you see below as it relates to desirable places to develop.

View attachment 489872

this infographic is almost 5 years old as a FYI - both in terms in of land costs and construction costs.

Back