Stationlands Residential Towers | 90m | 25s | Qualico | DIALOG

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
^
i don’t think you would have enough space to make a right hand turn around the s.e. corner of the library.

you also wouldn’t be able to ramp down very far and still clear the roof of the tunnel from the westin to the parkade.

I wouldn't suggest a right- or a left- hand turn around the southeast corner of the library. I imagine that there would be several opportunities to turn into the library parkade along its eastern boundary aligning with traffic lanes in the parking structure, all at level one below grade.

In the last photo of the above sequence you can see the columnar outline of the second 25 storey tower. Without second-guessing the sequence it looks as though Qualico is going to move right into construction of that building without pause. The columns show no sign of being "capped" and a construction crane is already in place to service that facility. The connecting portion to Phase Two development to the east is also progressing well. The outdoor pedestrian mall between new construction and the existing office buildings promises to be an exciting addition to downtown and with the pedway network connecting RAM, City Hall, AGA, Milner Library, Winspear and Citadel Theatre, the thrivelihood* (coin) of Edmonton's core is going to get a significant boost. My hope is that a great deal of effort is put into reviving this underground maze into something worthy of visitationing* (coin) in its own right (lessons from NYC's experimental "Lowline" project -- http://thelowline.org/) -- perhaps with an underground extension of AGA (monitored and secure, of course) and of RAM -- the potential is exemplaristicalexceptional* (coin). It could well complement Sir Winston Churchill Square finding surfacing portals to that important park that could be expanded by closing several surrounding streets (allowing for emergency vehicular access).
What streets could be closed, you ask?
First and foremost: 99th Street between 102nd Avenue and 103a Avenue. This is the intersecting street between City Hall and the Art Gallery of Alberta. Imagine if this street were turned into a pedestrian mall that was festooned with permanent outdoor sculptures curated by the AGA impresarios and added to on an annual art festival day. It would "gladden" the approach to Edmonton City Hall, the Royal Alberta Museum and the Winspear Centre. It would put a smile on the courthouse building.
View attachment 487635
The second vehicle thoroughfare that I would close would be 102nd Avenue in front of the Library (almost closed to all but transit already). This is Edmonton's premier transit hub and it deserves full recognition as such. The Library also deserves some post-update remedial action as well and that ties into the third street that I would close -- 99th street between 102nd Avenue and Judy Padua Way/Shoctor Alley to the south. This stretch I would feature as an urban "Trees-for-Life" park with all manner of specimens native to Alberta, focused around an Indigenous Sculptural Art assemblage (totems, statuary, iconography, and cultural symbols) and that bleeds onto the eastern half of the Library roof where plant pods enhance the visage of that structure in a very positive way, covered in vines, evergreen shrubs, and small-form trees.
View attachment 487638
Maybe I am just a cranky contrarian, but I would argue Edmonton's premiere transit hub is actually Jasper Avenue, with an LRT that has been operating below it for over 4 decades (out of sight out of mind perhaps) and respectably frequent bus service on it.

It is possible to argue that with more development to the north, the focus of transit may also shift north over time, but this would also require the new very delayed LRT line to be operational, something that it still is not yet.

From this afternoon
DSCN3481~2.JPG
DSCN3484~2.JPG
DSCN3477~2.JPG
DSCN3480~2.JPG

I've always had this image in my head that the empty lots being referred to above (the empty lots south of Epcor) would be ideal for mixed use office/residence towers to create a new shiny financial district. That along with the long rumoured "trophy tower" beside the Grand Villa would give off such a huge "big city" element.

Alas, highly unlikely any of those lots get developed within the next 10 years.

I've always had this image in my head that the empty lots being referred to above (the empty lots south of Epcor) would be ideal for mixed use office/residence towers to create a new shiny financial district. That along with the long rumoured "trophy tower" beside the Grand Villa would give off such a huge "big city" element.

The answer to that is what is/will be happening on the old Bank of Montreal Building. If they planned 20 office floors, 20 hotel and 20 residential ...it is unlikely an other office/hotel tower will be built for a quite a while on those 3 lots. The reality is if Katz built his mixed use trophy tower first - no one else would be building on any of those lots for a decade and the only thing on the BoM site would be residential.

This is the first I'm hearing of this trophy tower! Care to elaborate? I thought the CWB would only be looking at a small tower and not by Grand Villa.

That 'trophy' is being reserved for the right time and market... ie. very long-term and had a few different 'conceptual' renderings and massing.

Back