Peak Tower | 99.06m | 23s | Lighthouse HM | Davignon Martin

What do you think of this project?

• I dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
51F7B6B0-87A3-4CA7-ADCB-859DFD71043C.jpegIMG_1576.jpg
Picture on the left is November 2022, picture on the right is today August 2023. Which project in downtown Edmonton will get dragged across the finish line first?
1. The exciting beige-to-grey never ending paint job of Peak Tower
2. The perpetually delayed goal post moving Valley Line LRT SE
3. A wild card - the Chateau Lacombe candy cane reclad

Anyone know what is going on here? Was supposed to be done in March and the website was then moved to July. Now we are almost in September and no word. Not even pre-rentals or anything. Getting worried anyone?

Side Note: Today I saw that in Phoenix, the One Camelback office-to-residential conversion there went bust. BMO apparently foreclosed on a $72 million dollar note and sold it for $14 million. Tons of problems apparently that they ran into.

Makes me wonder what problems The Peak has run into. Could total cost be approaching $100 million? This original article (https://edmontonjournal.com/news/local-news/enbridge-tower-conversion-cancelled-rental-apartments) said that the cost was estimated to be $70 million to build the original hotel design. But the costs have gone up significantly since then.

With 274 units, if it ends up costing $100 million, that's $364,000 average per unit which is way above what condos are going for downtown.

I also question how well this project will be received. Zero outdoor space (no rooftop balcony, obviously) and no balconies. Going to be hard to rent out 274 units onto the market. Not to mention the difficulty in renting out the commercial space below to quality tenants.

Anyone know anything?

The construction timelines were always out to lunch. They were pretty much planning to have this entire conversion+podium renos done within a year.

Hard to tell if it’s stalled though from the outside looking in though. Anyone seen workers on site lately?

The grey looks absolutely hideous and yet its what everybody is doing for a "generic contemporary" update. Not that the concrete beige was a sight to behold, but developers, interior designers, and architects have managed to find something even worse.

The grey looks absolutely hideous and yet its what everybody is doing for a "generic contemporary" update. Not that the concrete beige was a sight to behold, but developers, interior designers, and architects have managed to find something even worse.
It's times like these that really make you appreciate the ATCO tower, in all its bold red glory.

It's times like these that really make you appreciate the ATCO tower, in all its bold red glory.

I just wish the Atco Tower was located in a different spot- being next to that lovely church with the red brick is just a bit too overwhelmingly red for me. Anywhere else would have been nice.

I think both buildings take away from each other.

Screenshot_20230825-114316_Samsung Internet.jpg

Please tell me they're at least going to finish their paint job, or whatever they are trying to do.

Really hoping that the mullion pattern gets corrected for symmetry on the right of the above picture. It has to be an error in the shop drawings that's going to be corrected right? Otherwise, woof.

It does detract from the overall design, which is nice. I'm not sure if it was intentional, by someone who just does not have a good concept of symmetry, or due to some miscommunication in the process.

In any event, I do hope it gets corrected. It would improve things.

Back