News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Edmonton Oilers

Oilers lines in Columbus this morning:

Nuge - McDavid Hyman
Henrique - Draisaitl - Kane
Foegele - McLeod - Perry
Janmark - Carrick - Ryan

I thought we got Henrique to be a 3C? He's been a centre his whole career, why put him at wing?

Oilers lines in Columbus this morning:

Nuge - McDavid Hyman
Henrique - Draisaitl - Kane
Foegele - McLeod - Perry
Janmark - Carrick - Ryan

I thought we got Henrique to be a 3C? He's been a centre his whole career, why put him at wing?

It's only 1 game! Besides, you can't have too many centres. ;)

I don't have a problem giving up the first, in fact I'd like to trade the whole farm to get better now, as Leon said last season, it's cup of bust right. What I have a problem with is the return when considering what other teams have been getting for similar or less. I brought up the Tarasenko deal earlier, 3rd and 4th for a middle 6 sniper who legitimately would be a difference maker. Vegas got Hanifin, a borderline elite top-4 defenseman for only marginally more than the Oilers paid for Henrique. In isolation the trade looks okay, but when looking at what other teams have gotten for the same or less, is very underwhelming.

Time will tell now. You don't always know how certain players are going to gel with a team or their linemates. Look at Lindholm in Vancouver - after the first game or two, he's been virtually non existent on the scoresheet.

Oilers acquire Troy Stetcher and a 7th round pick in exchange for a 4th rounder from Arizona.

Love this trade. Oilers add a guy who can be a solid 7th D and possibly take the spot of Ceci, who has struggled to perform up to standard since the coaching change. It's not gonna shake the world but adds good depth. I hope they are still looking in on Carrier though, if so I expect Ceci to be moved for cap reasons.

Will Eberle be making a return....?

Apparently if Seattle can't get him signed by Friday (which they are currently struggling to do with the term he wants) they will be looking to trade him. If so, Oilers are a perfect fit and he brings exactly what they need (2RW), however I think that if they can make it happen, bringing in Guentzel or Buchnevich would be better.

Hurricanes place: Tony DeAngelo, Brendan Lemieux and Antti Raanta on waivers for the purpose of assignment to the AHL in order to clear cap before the deadline. I'm specifically interested in Raanta here, he has had frankly an awful season, but he has been a solid goalie for most of his career and has gotten better in recent months. He could be a good backup for Skinner, because I don't really trust Pickard if Skinner goes down with injury or has a rough stretch in the playoffs. The cap might be tricky to manage here, he makes 1.5 million/season, but definitely an option.

Screenshot 2024-03-07 at 1.10.48 PM.png

TSN

The additions:

Carrick: Might be a low key really good addition, he impressed me, relative to what I expected. He slotted in nicely on that fourth line.

Henrique: Less impressed, it looked like he was struggling to figure out the Oilers up-tempo game a bit. It's only the first game so I'm not too worried, I'll give him some time to adjust before I make judgements, but he looked like he didn't know how to play in the Oilers system.

Overall, the team looked disorganized, which I guess is to be somewhat expected when adding 2 new faces. Knob was also shuffling the lines a lot last game, which makes it hard (especially for the new guys) to figure out what's going on. I don't want to poke and prod Knob too much but the amount he screws around with the lines is starting to bug me a bit. I understand the rationale, as it gives you the opportunity to force opponents to figure out what's going on, especially on the road as it makes line matching a lot harder. But when it's done too much you just end up confusing your own players. This was probably another reason Henrique looked a bit lost out there.

Back