News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Edmonton Oilers

TRADE!

Adam Henrique and Sam Carrick from ANA for Draft Picks. Not mad about it but would've preferred Buchnevich from STL. Sucks it took a first round pick for that though, oh well, Holland is gone after this season.

I am very disappointed with the cost here, Florida just got Tarasenko (a much better player than both Henrique and Carrick) for a conditional 4th this year and a third next year. Meanwhile, Kenny couldn't do any better than Henrique and Carrick with a 1st plus...

Henrique has been a decent player over the course of his career, but has been pretty bad this year. Maybe he finds his form again, but at age 34 I'm not sure how much there is left there.

Yeah, curious how this all works out and for what, but some good depth there and that is our biggest issue.

Screenshot 2024-03-06 at 12.33.35 PM.png

TSN

I am very disappointed with the cost here, Florida just got Tarasenko (a much better player than both Henrique and Carrick) for a conditional 4th this year and a third next year. Meanwhile, Kenny couldn't do any better than Henrique and Carrick with a 1st plus...

Henrique has been a decent player over the course of his career, but has been pretty bad this year. Maybe he finds his form again, but at age 34 I'm not sure how much there is left there.

The difference is that Henrique and Carrick are both C's who can kill penalties whereas Tarasenko is a winger.
It's taking ages for this trade to be officially announced.

The difference is that Henrique and Carrick are both C's who can kill penalties whereas Tarasenko is a winger.
I don't hate the idea behind the trade, I hate what they gave up to make it happen. That 1st could have been used in a package to get one of the big names names that have been floating around to upgrade the top 6 wingers which imo is a bigger hole than forward depth (not to mention addind another top 6 right winger would help with depth as well by moving someone down in the lineup), I'm thinking Guentzel or Buchnevich. I see this as just a slightly better version of the Bjugstad trade from last year, helpful, but not going to move the needle a whole lot, and definitely not when it means giving up one of the biggest assets they have to trade (this year's first). This doesn't necessarily outright eliminate the option to add a guy like Guentzel or Buchnevich, but it certainly makes it a lot trickier, future picks generally hold less value since you have less of an idea of where in the first round they're going to be and I'm not sure the Oilers have too much in their prospect pool that would excite teams enough to take a gamble on them.

In terms of how this effects the lines, I'd like to see this:

Nugent-Hopkins - McDavid - Hyman (no idea why they moved away from this, it's literally the best line in hockey)
Kane - Draisaitl - Holloway (it's time for Holloway to get some real top 6 minutes, not just a half a period with Leon here or there)
Foegele - Henrique - Perry (some veteran grit and experience with Perry and Henrique, put together with a guy who's fast and can carry the puck in Foegele)
Janmark - MCleod - Ryan (I'd like to have a finisher on this line, maybe make a smaller move to add a guy who's got a bit of a scoring touch and can complement the playmakers on this line, if the Kings are still shopping Kaliyev I'd be calling about him)

extras: Gagner, Carrick

I have to think Kenny has more moves up his sleeve. He talked about wanting to add a "veteran defenseman" in his press conference. I'm not sure if he counts as a veteran at 27 but Alexandre Carrier is a very interesting add at right D, other RD options on the market don't really excite me too much since Walker was already moved to the Avs.

Pah -- when the trade is made effective and the lines are shuffled, let's count how many losses that engenders for the Oilers.

I don't hate the idea behind the trade, I hate what they gave up to make it happen. That 1st could have been used in a package to get one of the big names names that have been floating around to upgrade the top 6 wingers which imo is a bigger hole than forward depth (not to mention addind another top 6 right winger would help with depth as well by moving someone down in the lineup), I'm thinking Guentzel or Buchnevich. I see this as just a slightly better version of the Bjugstad trade from last year, helpful, but not going to move the needle a whole lot, and definitely not when it means giving up one of the biggest assets they have to trade (this year's first). This doesn't necessarily outright eliminate the option to add a guy like Guentzel or Buchnevich, but it certainly makes it a lot trickier, future picks generally hold less value since you have less of an idea of where in the first round they're going to be and I'm not sure the Oilers have too much in their prospect pool that would excite teams enough to take a gamble on them.

In terms of how this effects the lines, I'd like to see this:

Nugent-Hopkins - McDavid - Hyman (no idea why they moved away from this, it's literally the best line in hockey)
Kane - Draisaitl - Holloway (it's time for Holloway to get some real top 6 minutes, not just a half a period with Leon here or there)
Foegele - Henrique - Perry (some veteran grit and experience with Perry and Henrique, put together with a guy who's fast and can carry the puck in Foegele)
Janmark - MCleod - Ryan (I'd like to have a finisher on this line, maybe make a smaller move to add a guy who's got a bit of a scoring touch and can complement the playmakers on this line, if the Kings are still shopping Kaliyev I'd be calling about him)

extras: Gagner, Carrick

I have to think Kenny has more moves up his sleeve. He talked about wanting to add a "veteran defenseman" in his press conference. I'm not sure if he counts as a veteran at 27 but Alexandre Carrier is a very interesting add at right D, other RD options on the market don't really excite me too much since Walker was already moved to the Avs.

It's supposed to be a relatively weak draft this year so they can afford to give up a 1st round pick. Plus they didn't have to give up anyone from their current roster nor any of their prospects.

As for the lineup, Sam Gagner has been waived and is likely on his way to the farm, and I'm hearing that Connor Brown (who you left out of your lineup) is going to be swapped for a depth defenseman. Also, I think Derek Ryan or Mattias Janmark will take a few nights off so that they can let Sam Carrick play.

We are looking good up front, but yes, most pundits agree that we are not going to get to a cup without one more stay at home d-man.

We are looking good up front, but yes, most pundits agree that we are not going to get to a cup without one more stay at home d-man.
In all fairness, most pundits also wrote off the Oilers from the playoffs with 10% of the season in, and now I wouldn't be shocked if they finished 1st in the division, or a very close second.

Depending on who the stay at home d-man is, we might very well end up hoisting the cup. I wish it could've been Tanev, but Carrier would also be the missing puzzle piece

Both Gagner and Holloway have been sent down to the farm in Bakersfield.
Will be interesting to see what happens in the next couple of days.

It's supposed to be a relatively weak draft this year so they can afford to give up a 1st round pick. Plus they didn't have to give up anyone from their current roster nor any of their prospects.
I don't have a problem giving up the first, in fact I'd like to trade the whole farm to get better now, as Leon said last season, it's cup of bust right. What I have a problem with is the return when considering what other teams have been getting for similar or less. I brought up the Tarasenko deal earlier, 3rd and 4th for a middle 6 sniper who legitimately would be a difference maker. Vegas got Hanifin, a borderline elite top-4 defenseman for only marginally more than the Oilers paid for Henrique. In isolation the trade looks okay, but when looking at what other teams have gotten for the same or less, is very underwhelming.

Back