News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.7K     0 

Edmonton Oilers

I was there (in the stands) in those Grant Fuhr early years and believe me there were a ton of so-called Edmonton experts who were saying the same thing now being said about Skinner -- "let's trade for a better goalie"' "you could drive an ETS bus through the space between his pads on that last goal". One of the biggest problems with Edmonton fans of late -- there are too many damned experts who know (or think they know) better than the coaches. Edmonton is burdened (or blessed) with elite class talent on their team; along with that comes egos that are easily injured. Give the team some breathing room. Forget the damned Stanley Cup; support the team for their exceptional abilities.
Wow and I thought I was stating the ”bleedin obvious” now I’m an armchair expert. How old was Grant Fuhr when he won a Stanley cup 21-22. Skinner is now 25 and still hasn’t found his game so what early years you are referencing I’m not to sure. I do remember Grant Fuhr beet Andy Moog out of the starting goalie position whereas Skinner got the job by default. Will he ever be a legitimate number one goalie I don’t know but he certainly isn’t right now.
Just to point out I wasn’t the one who brought up the Grant Fuhr comparison because quite frankly there isn’t one.
The Oilers, you know the experts, are trying desperately to trade for a number one how they manage it I don’t know considering the salary cap implications and having a $5mil goalie in the minors but they are trying.
By the way if you are looking for style and form figure skating is for you the NHL is a results based business.

I was there (in the stands) in those Grant Fuhr early years and believe me there were a ton of so-called Edmonton experts who were saying the same thing now being said about Skinner -- "let's trade for a better goalie"' "you could drive an ETS bus through the space between his pads on that last goal". One of the biggest problems with Edmonton fans of late -- there are too many damned experts who know (or think they know) better than the coaches. Edmonton is burdened (or blessed) with elite class talent on their team; along with that comes egos that are easily injured. Give the team some breathing room. Forget the damned Stanley Cup; support the team for their exceptional abilities.
I remember those days. Made me feel better about the (numerous) goals I let in through the five-hole :D

^^^
fuhr was 21 and in his 3rd season with the oilers when he won his first cup.

in his 10 seasons with the oilers (ignoring time in moncton and cape breton), his save percentage ranged between .866 - .899 and his goals against average ranged between 3.01 - 4.29. he did have a reputation for not necessarily making a lot of saves but for making the most important ones but more than a little credit has to go to the teams he played on. not just playing fire wagon high scoring hockey but playing predictable defence. it might not always have been great defence but its predictability made it easier for their goaltenders - including fuhr - to make good decisions.

that predictability is something that skinner (and campbell for that matter) haven’t had consistently for too long.

Responding to a couple earlier comments I can't be bothered to dig out from a few pages back:

1. Skinner is a starting callibre goaltender: Skinner can be a starting callibre goaltender at times, he hasn't proved he can do it consistently yet. That doesn't mean he won't be in the future and being only a 2nd year pro he'll probably find it in the next couple seasons. The problem is, the Oilers don't have the time to wait for him, the rest of the core is here now and Connor and Leon's contracts both expire in the next 3 years. Anyone who thinks he's been starting callibre overall this season is kidding themselves. He's statistically been one of the worst goalies in the league, he has a good game every now and then but overall, he has not been good enough this season.

2. Defense is the Oilers main issue: This is simply not true, the Oilers defense is on the good end of average in the league in terms of preventing high danger chances against. Statistically speaking they don't give up more chances against than most other teams. The problem is... goaltending. On almost every goal against you can pick apart what the defense did wrong and could have done better, hockey is a game of mistakes. The team that makes less mistakes, generally speaking wins. The Oilers don't make more mistakes on average than most other teams. The issue is that more often than not those mistakes end up in the back of the net because the goaltending is not good enough to cover them up. If there was evidence the defense was "leaving the goalies out to dry", meaning giving up a inordinately high amount of good chances against, then it's a defensive problem. The stats don't support this hypothesis however. I'm not trying to suggest that the defense never makes mistakes, just that they're an above average defensive team that's getting made to look silly by poor goaltending. There is a culture in hockey of "never blame the goalie", and while this is true in some cases, the Oilers goalies deserve the bulk of the blame for their poor performance this year.

Skinner: 0.884 sv%, Pickard: 0.898 sv%

Oilers xGA (Expected Goals Against): 57.51 (Natural Stat Trick), good enough for 4th in the league, Oilers actual goals against: 67

You can keep saying the Oilers defense is the problem but the stats are not on your side here both old fashioned, and fancy advanced stats.

A stat that sums up the Oilers season quite well:

Shot Differential = +74

Goal Differential = -8

Which tells you everything you need to know, the Oilers are consistently outshooting and outplaying opponents, because their skating roster is actually the best in the league. But are losing due to poor goaltending at their end, and are getting stoned at the other by either bad luck or running into a hot goalie.

3: The Oilers won't make the playoffs for sure: I won't go out and guarantee they will make it, however I have a few good reasons why I think it's silly to count them out at this point.

1 - They have (statistically once again) had the hardest start in the league, playing on average the toughest opponents and as a result have the easiest remaining schedule. Same as last year.

2 - They have been exceedingly unlucky (historically so), that's bound to turn around at some point.

3 - The goalies have been awful, but they've gotten better lately and played well over the 8 game streak. They don't need someone to go out and win them a game alone, the skating roster is good enough to do that themselves. They just need to be semi-competent, and the Oilers will start winning a lot.

4 - They are 3 and 9 in their last 12, it looks not great that the last 3 losses came back to back, but that's a 0.750 winning percentage, which is pretty darn good.

5 - The team's they're trying to catch aren't wagons. Nashville, Arizona, St Louis, Calgary, etc in the Western Conference wildcard race are not really great teams. They have decent records (hence why they're in playoff spots), but none of those teams is going to run away. If the Oilers keep playing the way they have and the goaltending takes a step forward, maybe a couple more pucks end up in the net. They should be able to pass all of those teams quite easily.

Last nights game:

Oilers were the better team and deserved to win, probably didn't deserve to be down at all in that one. They were getting stoned in the 2nd period. Then in the 3rd a combination of perplexing positioning from Vanacek and some truly awful turnovers by the Devil's defense (particularly Luke Hughes), led to an explosion in the third. I don't want to discount the Oilers as they played quite well and definitely deserved this one, but truthfully this was a total collapse by the Devils, they were absolutely terrible in the 3rd.

Last edited:
Olivier Rodrigue with Bakersfield this season:
5-2-2
0.938 sv% - 1st in AHL
2.09 GAA - 2nd in AHL

Last 4 Starts:
0.942 sv%

Who knows how he will translate to the NHL, but Rodrigue has been absolutely on fire this season. He's arguably the best goalie in the AHL, and might be the Oilers best goalie at the moment. It seems crazy he hasn't been given at least a shot. I'd like to see the Oilers try a Skinner - Rodrigue tandem at least for a little while.

A solid game (1st) by the Oil against the Sharks and then mailed in the rest, with a nice SO for Skinner.

LA is going to be a real test and should be one helluva game.

What an odd game, but a W is a W!

The Oilers had no shots 10 minutes in, 2 after 1 and what about 5 after 30 minutes and somehow push the game into OT/SO.

Skinner looked very, very good, but man L.A. is an incredibly talented shutdown type team who can score quickly and with serious depth.

While improving, this is still going to be an incredible uphill battle just to get in.

Screenshot 2023-12-31 at 10.40.41 AM.png

What an odd game, but a W is a W!

The Oilers had no shots 10 minutes in, 2 after 1 and what about 5 after 30 minutes and somehow push the game into OT/SO.

Skinner looked very, very good, but man L.A. is an incredibly talented shutdown type team who can score quickly and with serious depth.

Yup, but after 60 minutes the shots were even and the Oilers were actually outshooting the Kings by midway through the third. I'd say after the first, we really shut them down not counting OT.

Back