News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.7K     0 

Edmonton Oilers

I agree with you except for the "Ok Goaltending", the Oilers have the worst goaltending in the league, and statistically some of the worst of all time. This paired with the fact that the team has (statistically) the best skating roster in the league, (best in the league offensively, top 10 defensively) explains the inconsistency. If they get a couple saves here and there (and don't get goalied, which is what has happened the last 3 games), they win. If the goaltending falters (which it does a lot), they lose. They need to either completely overhaul the goaltending position or get a backup/ 1b for Skinner. He had a big jump in play after gaining some confidence from being handed the starting job, now it seems that jump has ended and the Tampa game really showed that. Fact of the matter is, this team with their current goaltending situation HAS to produce 35+ shots a game at least and keep shots below 20 at most to win. Even then it might not be enough (once again the Tampa game), severely outshooting the other team (franchise record) and leading after 2, but losing by 3 because of horrendous goaltending (and the other goalie playing incredible).

At both ends of the ice, goaltending is the Oilers biggest nightmare, they're getting goalied at one end, and their goalies are unable to stop even the most basic of shots with any consistency at the other.

Edmonton is where goaltenders go to die. Dubnyk, Koski, Talbot, Bros...

Skinner is a good goaltender, still young/developing and our defence hang them the F out to dry almost every single game.

I get that we do not often receive that one game saving stop and that is missing from taking us to another level, but it's the very poor D zone play, mid-ice giveaways and off man rushes that kill us.

We need more than one goalie if we're going to make or go anywhere in the playoffs. Skinner just can't play every single game until them. We have about until Feb. to fine someone.

as gene ubriaco is credited with saying, in hockey, goaltending is 50 percent of the game — unless it’s bad goaltending. then it’s 100 percent.

as IanO has noted, goaltending isn't just the goaltender's responsibility but it's certainly this teams biggest problem. as it has been for a very, very long time through a very, very long string of previously listed goaltenders.

Except when it's not... and pretty hard to win a game like last night with but a goal.

We are -2 on the DIFF this year with 98 for to 100 against.

98 should realistically be 110-120 and the 100 should be 80-90 when compared to other teams which is equal shares, blame and lack of accountability.

We need more than one goalie if we're going to make or go anywhere in the playoffs. Skinner just can't play every single game until them. We have about until Feb. to fine someone.
What happens in February? Anyone that thinks we are still making the playoffs, please give me whatever you are partaking in.

^Skinner can't be played every single night. If it looks like we're gonna get a wildcard spot, we need a reliable #2 to do a run from March onward. Doubt that's Pickard. There's not other way. Skinner simple can't play every game. The schedule will be one game ever 1-2 days.

^Skinner can't be played every single night. If it looks like we're gonna get a wildcard spot, we need a reliable #2 to do a run from March onward. Doubt that's Pickard. There's not other way. Skinner simple can't play every game. The schedule will be one game ever 1-2 days.
You think Skinner is a number one goalie?

^
hard to answer you're question without knowing your definition of a number one goalie...

if it's a goalie who is expected to play 40 - 50 games in tandem with a one b playing the rest, then he's probably close to that.

if it's a goalie who is expected to play 60 - 65 games with a backup playing the rest, then it's probably too much to expect.

I just don’t think he is a top quality goalie to be rated a number one. I see him more of a paint by numbers type not an artist.

^
interestingly enough, skinner's stats with the oilers are pretty much in line with grant fuhr's noting that fuhr didn't play more than 48 games until his 7th season...

Difference being Grant Fuhr made the big save when the team needed it. Skinner not so much.

Skinner is only in his 2nd year (NHL) other than a game or two previously; Grant came into his own much later, professionally speaking. Give Skin a chance...

Skinner is only in his 2nd year (NHL) other than a game or two previously; Grant came into his own much later, professionally speaking. Give Skin a chance...
Give him a chance as a number two goalie the Oilers need a number one.

I was there (in the stands) in those Grant Fuhr early years and believe me there were a ton of so-called Edmonton experts who were saying the same thing now being said about Skinner -- "let's trade for a better goalie"' "you could drive an ETS bus through the space between his pads on that last goal". One of the biggest problems with Edmonton fans of late -- there are too many damned experts who know (or think they know) better than the coaches. Edmonton is burdened (or blessed) with elite class talent on their team; along with that comes egos that are easily injured. Give the team some breathing room. Forget the damned Stanley Cup; support the team for their exceptional abilities.

Back